Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Can't assign static IP after installing my new switch

I had a 100Mbit switch before and recently updated to a netgear 8port gigabit ethernet switch... my mac laptop and imac are able to access my home network fine and the internet no problems. It's only my Windows 10 machine that is acting strange. I am using wired connection. I performed some tests, I can access google.com and youtube.com but when attempting to connect to other websites, it gives me dns errors and cannot find what's causing this.

I've always had a static IP assigned to my Windows machine and before installing my new switch, all was fine.

I've tried pinging my other computers on my local network, and I get no response back. But if I go to my network adapter settings and set my TCP/IP IPV4 settings to both OBTAIN ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY, then everything works normally. But when I try to assign an IP and default gateway automatically, it pops up a window and says:

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

But when I try to assign an IP and default gateway automatically, it pops up a window and says:

No picture included.

So I'm guessing: IP Address Conflict, Unable To Connect, or Couldn't identify or Unknown Network?

Anyway, probably your manual setup is either using an already assigned IP or it is on a different net/subnet segment  or your DNS's changed.

Don't know your switch type/model, but: a basic switch does not assign IP addresses (No DHCP), so it must be your DSL router/modem (if so configured).

For a simple fix setup:

Set Your PC TCP/IP IPV4 to automatic detection. (Make sure you can access the internet)

Check this in Network and sharing center -> Local Area Connection -> Local Area Connection Status -> Details.

Make a snip or write down the values for:

IPv4 Address.

IPv4 Subnet Mask.

IPv4 Default Gateway.

IPv4 DNS Servers.

Then goto your adapter settings and select: Use the Following IP Address:

Use the same auto assigned IP address  (sample: 192.168.0.100)

(Later on you can change the trailing set of numbers to an unused value by your network and router, avoid 1 & 250-254)

Use the same: Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS servers.

Once you can join the network and navigate,  you can then ping or find out the IP of other devices in your network and change yours to your liking.

This is a great utility:  Advanced IP Scanner.