Sign in to follow this  
rcladin

Fluid frames tweaks?

Hi there P3D simmers, I'm looking to get as many frames as possible in P3D as i really enjoy 60-100 fps in the VC when using G-sync, but it's not always possible. do you have any suggestions:

for example

I run 6700K@4.7ghz, GTX 980 Ti overclocked, 16GB RAM 3200mhz, Native 1440p res G-Sync monitor @ 144hz.

I sim, P3D with PMDG/Majestic/A2A, AS16+ASCA, UT2 (modelmatch only - no AI), Vatsim traffic via Vpilot (a must), EZCA, FTX, Glob/LC/regions/Vector etc plethora of add-on sceneries etc etc, all the common stuff.

I use myself the following strategies to keep frames as high as possible

Use MSI afterburner to always check GPU% and keep below 100%

AM 253 for P3D - quick loading & Core 0 for P3D only

Offload addon's for P3D to batch with HEX A0 for avoiding Core 0

Run unlimited and V-Sync /Triple buffer off (G-Sync Monitor)

Nvidia Panel - Enhance AA, Prefer max frames, Single Monitor Pref etc

Scenery Complex - Normal.

Building Autogen - Sparse (really helps with frames)

Vegetation Autogen - Sparse

ASN/AS16 - no enhanced overcast, 5 layers - 90mile range

No Road/Boats/AI traffic - just vatsim

Water - medium

Shadows - High, want building shadows for realism.

4xMSAA, 8xAF, no FXAA

Do you have any suggestions of tweaks or even items in your opinion that weigh heavily on fps, that i might not have thought of?

i'm interested in getting a 7700K Q1 next year and expect a 10-15% boost over my 6700K assuming i can overclock it similarly.

thanks for any feedback

-rcladin

You've got top of the line gear and you seem to be using all the tweaks available to keep your frames high. I'd be interested to see the relative benefits of GSYNC vs 30hz when it comes to smoothness. 

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Seems like a very savvy setup. Have you tried locking at a division frequency  of the monitor? e.g. for 144hz refresh you can lock (on the fps slider in P3D display settings) at 36 = 144/4, set gsync to 36 and it will match any drop outs in fps down to 30.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

You've got top of the line gear and you seem to be using all the tweaks available to keep your frames high. I'd be interested to see the relative benefits of GSYNC vs 30hz when it comes to smoothness. 

Ben, thanks - best way of course is to sit in front of a Gsync monitor and try it yourself, otherwise i'd recommend set your monitor to 60hz and check out one of the youtube comparisons of 30vs60hz, its not quite the same thing of course but will give you a feel or the kind of fluidity you might expect with unlimited frames and gsync vs 30hz clamp.

good example here: 

make sure you run 1080p60 in the comparison and 60hz setting on monitor.

If you define smoothness as consistent frames, say 30hz i.e. 33.3ms per  image then yes 30hz is a good idea as this means with modern tech you'll likely get 99.9% of your flight >30fps and not notice any stutter / long frame and it will all seem smooth.

For me, i couldn't see the point of throttling my 980Ti with G-sync to output 30hz to get a consistent 33.3ms, when my system can easily get between 10 and 20m/s per frame 99% of time, i.e. over an average flight scenario.

Personally i prefer to suffer the odd long frame / stutter to throttling at 30hz for 100% of my flight

Gsync works great when you can push at least 60-100 fps at it, between 40-60 is okay, but <40 is not great.

The problem of course when i open up the NGX at FT YSSY with weather, Vatsim etc etc, i can get 45-50 fps in the VC, until i take off and get higher frames away from scenery.

Dash8 much higher frames 60-70 on ground, 80-100 in cruise in VC.

I have also tried FFTF = 0.1 or 0.2 and get a few extra frames, but it can give some blurries which ruins it.  I've also tried reducing cloud layers and range in AS16, as ASN/AS16 can reduce frames by 10-20% typically, depending on weather of course.

Perhaps KabyLake & a 1080 Ti? next year will get me to a min of 60fps in all situations.

cheers

Seems like a very savvy setup. Have you tried locking at a division frequency  of the monitor? e.g. for 144hz refresh you can lock (on the fps slider in P3D display settings) at 36 = 144/4, set gsync to 36 and it will match any drop outs in fps down to 30.

Steve thanks i wouldn't have thought of that, but I don't think this is how Gsync works, I would simply never want to lock to 36 for any reason whatsoever.

I'm looking for frames and fluidity in my sim, i don't mind a variable fill rate as long at it's got reclining leather seats, goes really fast and gives shi**y gas mileage. lol

cheers and thanks for the work over on the AM thread there, great stuff mate

Interesting stuff, thanks. I have exactly the same rig as you and after doggedly sticking with FSX and the 1/2 refresh tweak for many moons, kept there by the fact that although P3D @60fps/60hz felt wonderfully fluid, by the time it fell down to the low 30s it was a big stuttery mess. By comparison FSX forced to 30 by the half refresh tweak felt smooth at all times. 

Following Rob's advice I got a 30hz monitor and have never looked back. The 'smoothness' I had in FSX is back, with the myriad of graphical improvements P3D has brought to the table. I'll certainly be in the market for a 1080ti (hopefully!) and KabyLake or the next gen CannonLake in due course, which might mean 60fps being more achievable across the board. Maybe! 

• Upvote 1

Ben, yes agree, could be worth waiting for the 10nan litho goodness of cannonlake, hex/octa may become mainstream but it might be 2 years away, by then of course P3D will be 64bit DX12 and Nvidia will have the 1280Ti for sure .....

also be running 4K Rifts by then anyway

I just used 36 as an example. GSync does actually work by dropping the frame rate to match the frequency down to 30.

Interesting stuff, thanks. I have exactly the same rig as you and after doggedly sticking with FSX and the 1/2 refresh tweak for many moons, kept there by the fact that although P3D @60fps/60hz felt wonderfully fluid, by the time it fell down to the low 30s it was a big stuttery mess. By comparison FSX forced to 30 by the half refresh tweak felt smooth at all times. 

Following Rob's advice I got a 30hz monitor and have never looked back. The 'smoothness' I had in FSX is back, with the myriad of graphical improvements P3D has brought to the table. I'll certainly be in the market for a 1080ti (hopefully!) and KabyLake or the next gen CannonLake in due course, which might mean 60fps being more achievable across the board. Maybe! 

wow. just made a custom resolution for my monitor for 30hz and its insane how much of a difference it makes! so smooth! wish there was a way of making it so that it swaps to that mode when in p3d and not in desktop because I sure cant use 30hz for anything else..

wow. just made a custom resolution for my monitor for 30hz and its insane how much of a difference it makes! so smooth! wish there was a way of making it so that it swaps to that mode when in p3d and not in desktop because I sure cant use 30hz for anything else..

Welcome to the 30hz club. 60 is SO last year. :)

just joined the 45hz club too, doesn't work so well with the pmdg 73 and fog. but for less demanding things should be good to go!

going to try 35hz. 5 fps is a difference! edit: 35 works fine

AM 253 for P3D - quick loading & Core 0 for P3D only

253 reserves only one LP of core 0, not the whole core 0.

Nvidia Panel - Enhance AA

Edit: My mistake, deleted.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

"AM 253 for P3D - quick loading & Core 0 for P3D only

Offload addon's for P3D to batch with HEX A0 for avoiding Core 0"

Seems OK to say that. I took it to mean 'reserved core zero by pushing addons above core zero', therefore core zero is used only by P3D, even if it's only one of the LPs, which is key to P3D; using 253 or any AM that enables only one LP of the first core encountered by the sim processes.

Wow. I just purchased a Gsync monitor. It's painful

Would be better to have a 30Hz for sim.

What monitors are 30Hz capable?

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

What monitors are 30Hz capable?

My Samsung 40-in 4K TV is running at 30 Hz.  I couldn't bear the pain of a 4K computer monitor when the 4K TVs are so good.

Dan Downs KCRP