Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Does W10 drop assigned USB controller inputs?

Over the past two weeks,  two seperate hardware contollers have lost at least one axis function - including the ability to be calibrated within Windows itself.  At first I thought it was a hardware malfunction, but there is no issue with the controller itself.

This leaves only Windows 10 or the USB controller on the motherboard as possible suspects.  I have updated all the chipset drivers which didn't seem to help and will attempt a reinstall of Windows 10 over the weekend to see if that sorts things out. Failing that I'll revert back to Windows 7  - and if that also fails I'll look at upgrading my PC (which is only 2 years old)

Has anyone else experienced anomalies with hardware controllers or the ability to calibrate an axis in Windows 10?

On my PFC Throttle I can't calibrate (in Windows) or assign (in FSUIPC oer P3D) the No 2 throttle or the No 1 Mixture axis.

On my Saitek Rudder pedals I now can't calibrate (in Windows)  or assign (in FSUIPC or P3D) my right brake.

Both failures have happened in fairly short order which seems suspicious.

Both were working perfectly up until two weeks ago.  I suspect a sneaky Windows update may have caused this (which I hope is the case) - and wondered whetehr anyone else knows of - or has had this problem before.

Thanks in advance.

Both were working perfectly up until two weeks ago.

Eric, I suspect you are correct. I lost all my assignments after last windows update.

This could be the offender KB3176938

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Windows 10 update tends to wreck some installed software and even some hardware. Its almost like you have to assume that some things will just need to be installed from scratch. The 1511 update left my GTX 980 Ti in permanent VGA mode until I used Driver Cleaner and reinstalled a video driver from nVidia's website.

I did see a TI usb driver update come through about a week ago. My system appears to be fine.

Windows 10 update tends to wreck some installed software and even some hardware. Its almost like you have to assume that some things will just need to be installed from scratch. The 1511 update left my GTX 980 Ti in permanent VGA mode until I used Driver Cleaner and reinstalled a video driver from nVidia's website.

I guess YMMV... I am up to date on updates and my 980 TI has never suffered anything like that at all...

Eric, I suspect you are correct. I lost all my assignments after last windows update.

This could be the offender KB3176938

Interesting. But are you able to calibrate the controller in Windows Game Contollers? I can't so this at all for the axes I've specified.

Interesting. But are you able to calibrate the controller in Windows Game Contollers? I can't so this at all for the axes I've specified.

No I couldn't. I ended up downloading an app called USBView, which puts your USB ports back to factory like a new install. Will find you the link.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

No I couldn't. I ended up downloading an app called USBView, which puts your USB ports back to factory like a new install. Will find you the link.

Ahh great, so you did have the same issue.

That link will be very helpful. I can google it. Thank much!

Ahh great, so you did have the same issue.

That link will be very helpful. I can google it. Thank much!

Here it is https://www.dropbox.com/s/46c64qy16q3rhep/usbdeview-x64.zip?dl=0

Careful doing a google. There is a number of apps with the same name. Use the one I have provided.

Hope it works for you like it did for me.

Careful doing a google. There is a number of apps with the same name. Use the one I have provided.

Hope it works for you like it did for me.

Thanks lots.

Presumabley I have to unplug all USB connections before running this and them pop them in again?

Thanks lots.

Presumabley I have to unplug all USB connections before running this and them pop them in again?

Yes, remove them, run the app. Delete your Saitek controllers, re boot, plug in again.

Yes, remove them, run the app. Delete your Saitek controllers, re boot, plug in again.

Hi there

This hasn't worked for me but not sure if what I'm doing is correct.  I ran the app, identified the 2 devices, unplugged them, deleted their entries, rebooted the PC and plugged them back in.  The same issues persist.

At a bit of a loss, but like I say, I may be incorrectly using the app.

Hi there

This hasn't worked for me but not sure if what I'm doing is correct.  I ran the app, identified the 2 devices, unplugged them, deleted their entries, rebooted the PC and plugged them back in.  The same issues persist.

At a bit of a loss, but like I say, I may be incorrectly using the app.

You did all the right things. I am at a loss why I did not work for you. Sounds like W10 has really munted your USB. You could try re installing your chipset drivers  ( Intel I presume ? )  delete your controllers once again, download the latest chipset drivers from Intel, Also any USB host support drivers from your motherboard manufacturer,  reboot, plug in your controllers and hope like hell it fixes it. Otherwise you might be in for a reinstall of windows

Have you checked for W10 drivers for your PFC and Saitek drivers. Some have had success with that.

Also, if drivers are not digitally signed, Microsoft will prevent certain hardware from running. .

At this time, I cannot think of anything else.

You could try re installing your chipset drivers  ( Intel I presume ? ) 

Yeah I did that.  no luck

Have you checked for W10 drivers for your PFC

The PFC distributor in the UK has offered to upgrade the firmware for me  to make it W10 compatible.  Might give that a go.

Otherwise its W10 reinstall....or W7