Sign in to follow this  
Fatback

New 747 install not following course

Sometimes in cruise the 747 will turn left and then right pretty radically and then finally settle back on course. Here is a screenshot.

4e90db98a63244905dd20bfc456ff4df.jpg
https://gyazo.com/4e90db98a63244905dd20bfc456ff4df

I saw a similar post where the admin asked about weather settings (scalar) so have included this shot of my Opus settings as well.

094a4ef0d23a5835684f5a014d80bad6.png

https://gyazo.com/094a4ef0d23a5835684f5a014d80bad6

Thanks in advance.

Bill Gardiner

I tried disengaging the AP (the bar, not the button), turning off the AT and FD's and turning them all back on again and that settled things down. But as I write this it just turned right at a 45 degree angle and then left hard enough to get a bank angle warning. 

I just forced a weather update and that seems to have fixed it. I should have tried that before. Next time it happens I'll do the weather update again and if that solves it we have the culprit.

I just forced a weather update and that seems to have fixed it. I should have tried that before. Next time it happens I'll do the weather update again and if that solves it we have the culprit.

Opus FSI has a notoriously poor upper wind model. Not using it usually tends to fix things.

Kyle Rodgers

Still having the problem although intermittently. In this shot it is rolling left and right and also not on the path. 

What weather program are you using now?

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle, still using Opus but I forced an update and it didn't make any difference. 

What do you mean by "forced an update?" If you forced an update through Opus, then it's not going to fix anything unless they fixed their models, which I doubt.

Kyle Rodgers

I could try exiting Opus entirely when the problem comes up but I don't know if that would be conclusive either. I was hoping for something definitive but maybe "not using Opus usually tends to fix things" is as close as we can get. It is pretty intermittent so worse case scenario is just living with it. Thanks for the help and if do find something I'll post back. 

I could try exiting Opus entirely when the problem comes up but I don't know if that would be conclusive either. I was hoping for something definitive but maybe "not using Opus usually tends to fix things" is as close as we can get. It is pretty intermittent so worse case scenario is just living with it. Thanks for the help and if do find something I'll post back. 

To be honest, it's going to be a weather issue. In over a decade of using and supporting this aircraft, the only times we've seen this is when a weather program is using either a bad wind model, or an "abusive" turbulence model (+/- g shifts that are well over realistic levels in turbulence). FSUIPC initially offered a little relief with its wind and turbulence smoothing with the default weather system and even add on weather. Over the years, though, the weather add ons generally took care of the wind and turbulence model deficiencies to ensure that the more detailed add on aircraft would not be adversely affected.

This is actually a very, very simple test:

You've clearly seen the issue while flying with Opus.

Fly without weather (specifically Opus) and I'm sure that the issue will be gone.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle, thanks again for the advice and for taking the time to explain it. I'll give that a go.