Sign in to follow this  
Guest cactus

CYVR - STARS and descent question

Looking for some advice re following the BOOTH5 or STAVE4 STARs:I've been flying repeatedly into YVR trying to get my LDS767 skills up to snuff. One thing I'm finding is that if I follow these STARs I really need to airbrake and drop the 767 pretty steeply. Am I misreading them?For example: on BOOTH5 (attached) it says to cross VITEV at 21000B, LANNE at 16000B and BASRA at 230kts. Also says "Do NOT expect lower than 10,000 until West of BASRA INTXN". From those altitudes it's a really sttep descent to get down onto the GS for 08R/L. In RL BOTH5 uses vectors. Offline I'm using INTXN's BAJOL and DUTNO to simulate this and set up for the turn onto the localizer.Is this the way it goes in RL? At the same time, the "path" on the STAR seems to show much lower altitudes: VITEV - 10000 - STAVE - 8000 - SHARD - 6600 - LANNE - etc...To be clear, this is a STAR question, not a LDS issue. Any help/advice appreciated. FYI: I do fly VATSIM and will see how it goes there this weekend (I've been trying to get this bird under control PRIOR to barging around CZVR online!)Thanks.

The B in 21000B and 16000B means below, so you can cross those waypoints at a lower altitude. But you do need to cross BASRA at 10,000, that's a requirement of the STAR. That should give you plenty of time to descend to 3000 feet for vectors to the ILS. If you find you don't have long enough, try slowing down a bit more, 230 kts is a max, not a minimum. I'm not sure about flying the LDS (or anyother 767) but I don't think it's unusual to use flaps and speed brakes as required to maintain your speed as you descend. I'm not sure how helpful this is, but if you want a more qualified answer, try asking on the CZVR vatsim site forum, http://www.czvr.ca/ . I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Guest cactus

Hi Guys. I justwanted to add something to your comment ken. you do not have to cross basra intersection at 10K or below. It is just giving you a heads up that chances are ATC will not give you lower than 10K until past Basra.