Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

All of a sudden, FLATLAND, or sot of...

Well,

in my usual bi-monthly install of FSX:SE, in the last days, and as I was working through the usual sequence of tunning and installing the most significative add-ons, and also preparing to decide if I would take the plunge and buy the FSLabs Airbus, something happened I had never experienced in all my life as an FSX uninstaller :-)

As I was going through the process of installing some drivers that allow me to use ELITE hardware with FSX:SE, a blue screen I had found a few times after upgrading to win10 Anniversary and then stopped occuring after a couple of patches they released a couple of weeks ago, appeared again, with a big :" :-)" and reporting that something unexpected had happened to my system and info was being collected before a reboot was going to be forced...

After the reboot, I loaded ELITE first, made a small flight, everything was fine, then started FSX, chose an airport near Lisbon with some hills around and, as my A2A C182 loaded and I was at rw 35, pointing exactly towards the hills, no hills were there at all ?

Changed place into a few more places around, where there is mountainous terrain and NADA!  Went to the Alps, and although there was some hint of mesh, it looked rather strange ????

I tried everything, including deleteting scenery.cfg but nothing solved the strange phenomenon :-(   I eventually uninstalled FSX ( this turn id didn't last more than  1 day.... ) but I am still puzzled about what might have caused it ?

Any suggestions welcome :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

List your terrain addons. If you have Ultimate Terrain run the config tool and it will fix your terrain.cfg. Try the same if you have Orbx products run the FTX Central and first try installing latest library file.

No scenery / terrain add-ons. Was using plain vanilla fsx:se

Only add-ons installed by that time were a2a's c172, c182 and comanche, as16 and asca.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Steam did one update in the middle of this process, but it was a Steam client update, I guess, so, there were no restored scenery or terrain CFGs unfortunately.

Also for FSX:SE I saw no option to "REPAIR" the installation. I believe a full install would be required.

What is really strange is that the simulator was not running when the win 10 blue screen appeared - only the install process of the driver for ELITE hardwar ewas running at that moment.

Apparently no other components of the sim were affected, which is even more strange ?

Thx for your comments / suggestions 777200lrf!

Main Simulation Rig:

You've tried verifying the integrity of the game cache via Steam I take it?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Didn't try that one Mark. Thx for the suggestion.

Main Simulation Rig:

Didn't try that one Mark. Thx for the suggestion.

I already asked you to verify the local cache

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

OOps, had missed your suggestion Zulfi... Too late anyway - I would have to re-install...

Main Simulation Rig: