Sign in to follow this  
jose88

Please help. Microstuttering

Thank´s for the reply, usually I have been flying with the limiter set as unlimited, frames locked in NVI to 39,8 and has been quite happy with the result. But now this excellent guide got me confused.

Sorry about the small font, it´s the workplace´s computer, don´t know why it has that kind of thing on it.

Tapani Österberg

The disadvantage to external frame rate locking is that there are things happening in the P3D rendering engine that are affected by a frame rate lock.  If it is external the rendering engine is not aware of it and is not going to make the best of the rate lock, it will continue to act as if the rate is unlimited and limit the processing during each frame.

This external rate lock is a left over from pre-version 3.x.

Dan Downs KCRP

The disadvantage to external frame rate locking is that there are things happening in the P3D rendering engine that are affected by a frame rate lock.  If it is external the rendering engine is not aware of it and is not going to make the best of the rate lock, it will continue to act as if the rate is unlimited and limit the processing during each frame.

Dan,

Are you saying that LM has finally fixed P3D internal FPS limiter? I haven't checked it since 2.5, as it used to be "general consensus" that the internal limiter tend to limit FPS even more and create stutters that's why many simmers switched to NVI external limiter.

Any positive changes since then?

Thanks

Dmitriy 

Wow Dmitriy, now at v3.3.5 there has been much improvement. The change list at the LM website is extensive.  Most notable is that v3 moved much rendering work to the GPU and started removing unused scenery from memory when resources become limited.  Even the much despised artificial head movement that never worked well is gone. There is a lot of road traveled since 2.5.

Dan Downs KCRP

Wow Dmitriy, now at v3.3.5 there has been much improvement. The change list at the LM website is extensive.  Most notable is that v3 moved much rendering work to the GPU and started removing unused scenery from memory when resources become limited.  Even the much despised artificial head movement that never worked well is gone. There is a lot of road traveled since 2.5.

No-no, I'm on 3.3.5  myself since day 1. however I'm still using external NVI limiter. Perhaps should try it the internal one myself

Correct, and I took from the gurus on this forum that the use of internal locking of FPS create some other performance problems in P3D related to reservation of extra frames ahead when using any FPS setting but Unlimited.

So the best possible solution for performance vs. picture quality in P3Dv3.3.5 is Unlimiting FPS but locking VSYNC in P3D and, very important, setting your monitor to some reasonable refresh rate like 30Hz IF your monitor can SUPPORT it. I'm fortunate to have 30' NEC monitor and I'm using 25Hz v.refresh (+Unlimited +VSYNC in P3D), which makes my flying @25FPS in the most dense areas like London with all the UTX,FTX,UK2000 add-ons smooth like silk on my relatively new system (6700K @4.6 8Gb RAM, TITANX).

So the best FPS tweaking in P3D is in a way very much dependent on your monitor capabilities as the monitor's refresh rate + P3D VSYNC are what eventually limits your FPS without P3D churning out extra frames, but limiting the undesirable unlimited setting that creates bluring of textures and other problems otherwise.

Dirk.

Correct, and I took from the gurus on this forum that the use of internal locking of FPS create some other performance problems in P3D related to reservation of extra frames ahead when using any FPS setting but Unlimited.

So the best possible solution for performance vs. picture quality in P3Dv3.3.5 is Unlimiting FPS but locking VSYNC in P3D and, very important, setting your monitor to some reasonable refresh rate like 30Hz IF your monitor can SUPPORT it. I'm fortunate to have 30' NEC monitor and I'm using 25Hz v.refresh (+Unlimited +VSYNC in P3D), which makes my flying @25FPS in the most dense areas like London with all the UTX,FTX,UK2000 add-ons smooth like silk on my relatively new system (6700K @4.6 8Gb RAM, TITANX).

So the best FPS tweaking in P3D is in a way very much dependent on your monitor capabilities as the monitor's refresh rate + P3D VSYNC are what eventually limits your FPS without P3D churning out extra frames, but limiting the undesirable unlimited setting that creates bluring of textures and other problems otherwise.

Dirk.

Thanks ,

I have the VSYNC@30HZ solution and it is butter smooth when FPS is not dropping below 30. BUT you may have open my eyes to the 25HZ solution.

Cant wait to go back to test my 4K if i also can choose 25HZ  :wink:  :smile:

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Thank you for this tip, I ended using NVI`s frame limiter and things are better with P3D`s own limiter set unlimited. 

Tapani Österberg

Seems like 30hz solution works only with 4k monitors. I have 1440p 2k and my eyes get jammed every time I try to set the monitor to 30hz.

(...) By any chance is the Aerosoft airport you have problems with the London Heathrow?  Basically, that one is a dog that no one gets good performance with (the airport scenery is 4.5GB,   your maximum VAS is 4GB (...)

Dan, i dont understand what you mean exactly by that. If it was true that is was 4.5 GB then the scenery couldn't even be opened in the memory. I'm owner of that Aerosoft EGLL and i get around 1 GB of VAS left when a PMDG 737 is parked at the gate...and on taking off the FPS drops down from around 25-26 at parking position to around 20 fps. So it is quite "heavy" but still "very usable" for me. And i have the whole ORBX-basis package like vector and so on installed. So i dont really understand why you say it is not usable...I'm having an i7700k with 3.5 Ghz.

Cheers

Franz

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

Seems like 30hz solution works only with 4k monitors. I have 1440p 2k and my eyes get jammed every time I try to set the monitor to 30hz.

You sure your monitor supports 30Hz vertical?

Good news here!

Just finishing tune of my new rig! i7 6700k and Asus Z170 Gaming Pro. Now my 1070 feels better. What an improve on overall P3D experience! With no cfg touch, only max power and single display with Gsync On in NCP the sim runs very very good. At Aerosoft Malaga and 777 at ground FPS are 50-60 and smooth experience. 

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

As a recent 30hz convert I'm also interested to try the 25hz tweak. *runs off to look at monitor*

What is your monitor?

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg