Sign in to follow this  
Guest aarskringspier

Strange review of Rhode Island Scenery

Guest oyvindhansen

Whats up with the 3 1/2 stars? That's the rating given to Cloud9's Aviano scenery, which looks awful compared to the RI. If there is any better scenery than RI, I'd like to know. Fs scenery design is in a sorry state its the best scenery can only get 3 1/2 stars at Avsim.-

Guest allcott

You're forgetting that Sam Needs reviewed one, David Swindle the other. I don't think you should regard the star system as acceptable for comparison purposes between reviews as each reviewer brings their own preferences and opinions, and the star system is not required to review to a checklist to ensure parity, just an overall indicator of `standard` as assessed by that reviewer.Always eat the meat, not the packaging before you decide whether you like the beef!Allcott

Guest oyvindhansen

Well, I'm under the impression that Avsim's grade scale specifies certain criteria across the reviewer's personal preferences, such as five stars means the current state of the art, 4 1/2 is very good but not revolutionary etc. The review goes on about how great the scenery is, and there is nothing in the text that really corresponds with the rating given. If this scenery is a 3 1/2, what would the reviewer consider four or five stars. I'm not avare of any current big airport sceneries that are significantly better.I've seen something similar before, when the Aeroworx King Air, definitely the leader in its class, got a 3 1/2 while for a long time anything from Lago or Flight1 seemed unable to score less that 4 stars.-

Guest allcott

So submit your own review? and make your star assessment clear as being in comparison with other payware products. Nowhere in the review does it state `in comparison with` so I simply assumed it is a standalone review.3.5 stars means, according to Avsim review policy"Positive Tweaking of Today's State-of-the-Art"I think that fits with the reviewers decision.4 stars means, according to Avsim review policy"Natural Upward Progression From State-of-the-Art"I don't think that Rhode Island intrduces any revolutionary new ideas, does it? Certianly nothing mentioned in the review. It has the concentric circle of detail approach, which is a very clever interpretation, but then that is what FS does natively, but what is there that takes this product to the next level? That's not to criticise, simply to ask what the product would have to offer to get the extra half star. Its mesh, photoreal, seasonal, detailed textures of a medium-sized area, very, very cleverly done.3.5 stars seems right to me as a standalone review. If your thinking is that this is better than products whcih have recieved higher stars, then do your own comparative review! Nowhere does the reviewer mention those other products, so maybe he hasn't seen them to compare? If you have, then write about it.Allcott

Guest oyvindhansen

Wow, a very interesting scale. From what I could decode of the high flying language, almost half of the scale is dedicated to ratings that only a very small percentage of products can hope to attain. That is if the word state-of-the art means what I usually understand it to mean, the latest and best. Here, however, it seems to mean something more like average, as the scale moves almost directly from state-of-the art to substandard.It's also interestig that the rating of five stars, "At the Edge of That Even Conceivable Today" has been used several times lately on aircraft, such as the LevelD and PMDG queen, that I really find very conceivable given aircraft that preceded them, such as the PMDG 737 or Flight1 ATR.OK, it's Avsim's choice, so I will end the discussion.-

Oyvind (can't seen to find that slash for the O)I find product reviews about as useful as movie reviews - they generally seem to say more about the reviewer than the product. I don't recall ever reading a review of a flight sim addon before deciding to buy it. I generally scan the forums to see what "the masses" are saying.I agree with Allcott; the best thing you can do is share your own experience. Your post says more to me than any review would.Cheers,Paul

The Rhode Island scenery is nothing short of groundbreaking, as far as payware add-on sceneries go, it is the best I have on my HD bar none. It's the most realistic looking and frame rate friendly scenery I have ever seen. The airports are all ones I have actually flown into in real life and they are nothing short of superb. It should have gotten at least four stars by thier scale, I'd give it 5.Hornit

Guest PDX Bailey

Any comments from someone that owns and flys this product? Is it worth the money?

It is DEFENITELY WORTH THE MONEY. When you buy it, and I recommend that you do completely, check out thier upcoming KPDX scenery, its amazing. This is one product I can say anyone should own, it's that good.Hornit

I've always laughed at reviews (for anything) who mention absolutely no real negatives, yet still can't give it an excellent total score. Makes no sense to me.If CaptainSim made that scenery you can bet someone would have given it a 5

Guest oyvindhansen

I own it too, well worth the money. Keep in mind that it is a complete package that has three excellent airports, custom stuff for a larger area and doesn't hurt framerates too much.-

Whats the point anyway of making a review of a scenery thats been out for 7 month, its not very usefull is it.The reviewer did a terrible job with this review, its way off. Rhode island is the best scenery i have ever bought, the detail you see at the airports is incredible, fps is super. No it should have been a 5 star review, nothing less.OHN

Guest captandy

I would like to put my 2 cents in ...I presently own all US SIMFLYERS which I would give a 2 on their best work and they fault mostly due to their antiquted designs and FPS issues.I also own all of the FLYTAMPA US airports which I love and rate a 3.4 to a 4.5.I also own various freewares which vary but the RI scenery is a 5 no less the encompassing land mesh and airports are fantastic and realistic since I also live in Narragansett as a sencond home.Andy

Guest koorby

Own RI, love it, fly it, it's superb. However, it will pale in comparison to Vauchez's next effort, Portland Intl. Have a look at the screenies and vids for that one - instant classic already IMHO.I never buy on reviews - for me , it's word of mouth, forums and videos.