Sign in to follow this  
Guest aarskringspier

Strange review of Rhode Island Scenery

Guest Cindy_Zoonan

I agree. I thought RI scenery was really ground-breaking, so to speak, and if anything warrented 5 stars this scenery would be it.

Guest Knikolaes

>>I agree with Allcott; the best thing you can do is share your>own experience. Your post says more to me than any review>would.>This is definately true and I agree with it as well.And I say that even as a soul that runs his own personal review site. I do my reviews on my web page simply as information, and I refuse to use a "star" or "rating" system. i just put my personal experience with the product and what I like/don't like about it. I consider it just a way of sharing with others what I experienced firsthand a a user.What I'd like to add here is a definate agreeance with Paul, as I never buy a product based on reviews. I DO read reviews if I can -- just to see screenshots -- but for the true feel of what the product is like the true voice lies here in the forums.I can write an entire essay on a product for my web site, but I can read more in one sentence here on the forum than i could in a 5 page review of any sort.

Guest Knikolaes

I forgot to mention in my reply above -- I actually just got this scenery 2 days ago and I love it -- to the point that I hit the developer's web site and also got their Paris and Cor . . erm -- forgt the name -- but it's their third scenery.I have never been to RI, but combine how the edges of this scenery merge with Flight1's Ultimate Terrain and it's a superb product. I actually never had an interest in Rhode Island until I ended up with this add-on. Now I am going to purposefully do some GA flights there.

Guest aarskringspier

Flight Scenery RI is nothing less than stellar; its detail combined with its performance is unrivaled. Only two airport scenery designers are in aleague no one else can touch FLyTampa and FlightScenery. 3 1/2 stars is truly a shame for this scenery.

Guest PDX Bailey

Interesting! The review now shows 4 stars. I guess they must have changed it. Good job guys.

what is there that takes this product to the next level? That's not to criticise, simply to ask what the product would have to offer to get the extra half star. Its mesh, photoreal, seasonal, detailed textures of a medium-sized area, very, very cleverly done.I think it's integration of ALL those items you mentioned in the clever method used!! THAT is what is bringing it to the next level!! No, they didn't discover a new trick in the scenery design world, but they took all the tricks previously known and used pretty much all of them in PERFECT synergy to create a rich simulated environment with very little performance hits - which cannot be said about the many MANY other frame-reducing yet lower density/quality sceneries available today. Far too often (in the past), a scenery designer (or design firm) would focus on one feature or another as it's 'groundbreaking' or key feature. FlightZone1:Rhode Island takes ALL of today's key design features, and melds them SEAMLESSLY into a scenery region of unparalleled quality. If this attention to detail is FlightScenery's *START* to commercial sceneries, I cannot wait for future releases to come out. I will never say that a reviewer screwed up, because after all it IS a subjective essay! I was pleased with the reviewer's words about FZ1:RI, but a little disappointed at the initial stars - to each their own. The uprating to 4*'s was a worthwhile move more representative of the product, in my opinion.If ever you fly in the KPVD area, this scenery is a MUST-HAVE. -Greg

Guest MikeJ

I have a few of the flytampa airports which are great but the Rhode island scenery isn't just a single airport, it's 3 airfields plus surrounding scenery. Broundbreaking features:Virtually no fps hit at all.The best ground textures bar none.Unique approach to creating multiple airfields plus scenery with the best mix of photo terrain and custom autogen to date.3.5 - 4 stars was a joke. If you produce the best scenery available shouldn't that rate as 5 stars? I have no idea where the reviewer is coming from.

It is quite possible that the way they adopted the rating system it is virtually impossible to score 5 in the scenery department. It is a bit like with Academy Awards - it is virtually impossible for example for a comedy to get an Oscar. It has to be something dark, somber, preferably depressing and showing conflicts to score the highest. Scenery may be treated as a 'light' category, too light to qualify for the top score.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_747F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Avsim should come up with a way to assign points for specific categories within a scenery from say 1 to 5. Categories can range fro items such as frame rate hit, smoothness of scenery, immersion factor, level of detail, new and innovative design within scenery, etc... Afterwards, add up the points for a cumalitive total closest to 100 with 100 being the best. That way anyone who reviews a scenery, will have to use this standard format form to submit a review here at Avsim. While yes, it is still subjective, it is less so than it is now IMO.

Eric