Sign in to follow this  
Pringy88

Weird Smoke trail and spoilers failed!

Hey everyone,

I downloaded Project Opensky's Korean Air 747-8i and completed a flight to Seoul/Incheon Intl.  and as I often do, after landing and taxing onto the runway exit I watched the landing in instant replay from the external locked spot view mode, it was only then that I noticed a bizarre smoke trail from underneath the tail-end of the fuselage and also that my auto-spoilers had failed to deploy, because the landing went fine (although I did notice that it seemed to take a while to slow down to a suitable taxi velocity), I did not suspect anything of real concern whilst I was in virtual cockpit view.

Can anyone shed any light on what may be causing the smoke trail and failure of spoilers to deploy?

I've have uploaded the replay to YouTube (below) for you to watch so you can see what I'm talking about.  Thank you in advance for your assistance :)

Ah,.....the "infamous" tail-strike upon takeoff! :Doh:  A wee bit too much pullback on the yoke when rotating.  A

lot of POSKY aircraft are very sensitive to the touchdown and a little too heavy and the spoilers may not deploy

or they may deploy and close immediately.

There have been instances of wheel spray following an aircraft about 20-30 feet behind.  Keep an eye out for that.  In

fact, maybe delete wheel spray from the [effects] portion of the aircraft.cfg

WELCOME to the forum! :wink:

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I downloaded and did a quick test flight out of L08 with a 5,000 runway.  Fully loaded with fuel, this aircraft is "grossly" overweight.  I put 50% in all tanks did the takeoff and still had about 200 feet of runway left and

NO tail-strike.  Make sure your landing weight is fairly light, maybe 15% in most tanks.  Keep in mind, "you

land heavy, you land hard!"

I did a second test flight and landed at KSAN runway 27 (One tough Monkey in a big bird!)  I caught a

screenshot as the wheels touched down on the runway with auto spoiler engaged.

KSAN.jpg

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I landed with 20% in centre 1, 10% in left and 10% in right, the other 3 tanks were empty so we're talking about a fuel load of approx 40,000lbs. I also added additional bursts of thrust towards the end of the glideslope to 'flatten' out the descent rate.

Yeah if you leave the POSKY 747-8i with unadjusted payload and fuel weight it is around 97,000lbs overweight, likewise with the Project Airbus a380 only that (if I remember rightly) is around 150,000lns overweight, that bird ain't gonna fly, or if it does you're gonna get an aircraft overstressed crash shortly after take off haha.

The tail strike theory does make a lot of sense to be fair as I wanted to do a short flight to test out the aircraft before doing longer haul flights which meant taking off from a short runway airbase 40 miles from Seoul/Incheon, I was a bit aggressive in getting the plane off the ground so I will definitely bear this in mind.

I'll definitely look to review my approach and touchdown to see if this aids with the spoiler engagement and get back to you all :)

I've used Flight Sim for 10-12 years but only started learning how to do things properly a couple of years ago!

• Upvote 1

.....likewise with the Project Airbus a380 ....

I believe there's an update file to get the fuel weight correct.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)