Sign in to follow this  
severniae

Stuttering/freezing, could use some assistance.....

Ok so I've got a somewhat annoying issue. As I'm flying along, I don't notice and 'micro stutters' that so many people complain about. But what does happen, is that every few minutes the sim will freeze for a few seconds, and then continue. The freeze lasts anywhere between 1-5 seconds. It's especially annoying as I use Flyinside with my Oculus rift, and it causes it to go back to the menu, and back into the sim again - massively immersion breaking!

I've also tried it without the VR system and get the same issues. Is there anything anyone can recommend to sort it out? I've tried scaling down the scenery/gfx settings but it doesn't seem to help.. I can manage a very stable 30 FPS in almost all conditions.

PC specs;

i7 2700K

Nvidia GTX 770 1800mhz memory

Windows 8.1 (recent reinstall)

Addons relevant;

Orbx - World, Vector, OpenLC Europe, England Region, AUS Region

UK2000 VFR Airfields vol2 (version 2 for P3d)

Rex4 With Soft clouds

ASN

Milviz 407

MyTraffic6 (5% AI slider)

FSUIPC

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

See Rob's guide for P3D and note the section on prepar3d.cfg paying attention to items that effect frame rate and stutters. You have a low end system so it takes a lot of balancing to get things the way you want them.

I have a frame rate lock at 20 and still get an occasional long frame (stutter) when approach an airport scenery that gets loaded, and I have a relatively high end system. The goal is to have smoothness most of the time, few VAS problems, and something that looks good.

Dan Downs KCRP

Sorry I have a 980, forgot I upgraded!

I've tried going without CFG tweaks, as I've had issues with tweaks being more hassle than they are worth. Does p3d need some tweaking to make it perform at its best?

James W

This to me is a MY Traffic 6 problem. Try turning My Traffic 6 off in your scenery Lib and tell me if the stuttering (pauses) stops. Would be interested

at the result.

Nelson

Does p3d need some tweaking to make it perform at its best?

I don't use any tweaks, but I've listed several in the AVSIM P3D guide here.  What you are describing is not what I would call stutters ... 1-5 sec pause is something stopping the main thread until it's done what it needs to do.  Stutters are usually called long frames and operate in the 40-120ms range, not in the 1-5 second range.

My guide will show you how to do some basic diagnostics with disabling entries in the your DLL.XML and EXE.XML files.

Do you have any airports that are under the Virtuali suite of products (FSDT, FlightBeam, etc.)? 

FYI, I have brought these long pauses to LM's and Virtuali's/FlightBeam (Mir) attention ... unfortunately no response from LM as they would need to use 3rd party products they may not have and/or have not been provided.  But, I've also experienced these long pauses with Orbx scenery and/or Drzewiecki Design Moscow (oddly not New York) with or without "major" airports in the vicinity.  So not singling out any particular vendor ... I can't really pin point what causes these long pauses and I can't duplicate the pauses on a base P3D with no add-ons.

Skip to about 1:14 min mark (3.8 second pause)

FlightBeam Thread

Unfortunately still no solution.

IMHO, it shouldn't be possible to stop the main sync thread ... but clearly it is.  This tends to cause havoc for aircraft like the MJC Q400.

You can try to disable SODE, Coualt.exe and bglmanx.dll and see if the problem goes away, that's not really a solution, but more a diagnostic step.

Cheers, Rob.

Ok I'll have a look at your dll suggestions.

Scenery wise I've just got: uk2000vfr vol 2, uk2000 egnx, orbx global,vector, openlc Europe and UK.

Edit - just watched your video and it looks like exactly the same issue I'm suffering.

James W

James, did you turn My Traffic off, I would be interested if this stopped your issues which sound the same as mine, although it could be something else.

Cheers

Nelson

AI Traffic can certainly cause stuttering if you have very high levels of AI traffic (I stick to 10-15%), but in the video above I had AI traffic OFF so it wasn't the cause for the long pause.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

I encountered these pauses some time back while flying the excellent Scotflight for ORBX. While these pauses don't occur everywhere there did seem to be a relationship to certain airports/airfields. I documented as many as I could by flying every airport in turn. This was happening during the ORBX LC migration unification hiccup and Iain Gallacher, the lead developer of Scotflight wondered whether this was responsible or at least implicated in some way. Sadly, this has since proved not to have been the case.

These pauses are reproducible (and very similar to that seen in your video) and I submitted an example scenario flight file where I am flying towards Strathallan in the P3D default Raptor. Unfortunately, according to Iain, no one else seems to have reported this issue so I suspect, and quite understandably, nothing is being done about it. Difficult to know what may be causing the sim to hesitate for a second or so in these situations, but there is no doubting that it is happening. Perhaps it has something to do with texture loading of certain legacy scenery items that aren't yet fully compatible or perhaps there is something defined in a bgl file that may be missing or corrupted in the installation. Who knows and, yes, I can only guess at the cause without fully understanding the mechanics behind scenery design and implementation. Fortunately there are large areas in Scotland where it doesn't happen.

What I do know is that it doesn't happen anywhere else outside the areas covered by Scotflight so it seems pretty clear to me where the problem lies.

Edit: Just remembered that the problem goes away when Scotflight for ORBX Airports is disabled in Scenery.cfg. To me that's further confirmation, although it doesn't identify the specific cause.

Regards,

Mike

AI Traffic can certainly cause stuttering if you have very high levels of AI traffic (I stick to 10-15%), but in the video above I had AI traffic OFF so it wasn't the cause for the long pause.

Cheers, Rob.

Well that wont simulate commerical traffic at the major airports I fly out of...80-90% more realistic for that.

spacer.png

Well that wont simulate commerical traffic at the major airports I fly out of...80-90% more realistic for that.

That depends on what you use for AI traffic and the schedules you have setup.  Here is MT6 at Prague (skip to 11:26 min to 15:00 min mark) ... I reduced AI traffic from 90% down to 70% and it's still way too much traffic which doesn't emulate real world traffic levels at all ... "line up and wait" for 2 hours ... I'd be sitting on the ground for 2+ hours if I ran AI traffic at 70%.  A realistic level is probably around 30% for MT6 with it's default schedules ... if you run your own custom schedules then the AI % value will need to be adjusted for each case scenario.

What I do know is that it doesn't happen anywhere else outside the areas covered by Scotflight so it seems pretty clear to me where the problem lies.

In the video sample I provided, the pause is directly related to FlightBeam's KSFO and has been replicated by other users.  BUT, not to single out FlightBeam, I've also seen the issue with Orbx Regions, Aerosoft airports, DD Moscow ... so whatever "it" is, it's more than just a single development group.  I have passed the info on to LM, but not much of a response (like none).  It would require that 3rd party dev and LM work closely on the issue and 3rd party would need to provide all the "working" files so LM could take a look and then setup a profiling session to determine the cause.  This may be happening behind close doors, who knows ... but I've gone as far as I can with it and just hope it gets looked at.

Cheers, Rob.

For what it's worth I can duplicate my issue with My Traffic. As soon as I enable My Traffic I get the pauses or stutters or whatever you want to call it. It is very annoying to say the least. I un check My Traffic in the scenery lib and poof the issue is gone.

Cheers

Nelson

I tried last night.

Admittedly I was trying a different aircraft, so that could be why the issue was lessened. But with MT6 disabled I only got one occurrence of the issue.

I'l going to try flying in some other areas tonight and see what happens...

James W