Sign in to follow this  
JaneRachel

The Most Phenomenal FlightSim Experience Ever! - Colonel Champagne F-16 Hero of 9/11

Guys,  I am being serious now, after 14 years in this industry at PC Pilot Magazine and heaven knows what else, I had to share what was the most memorable, phenomenal experience in the sim I ever had. I am really really serious and was bursting to share!

Last night, in rehearsal for Flight Angels next Saturday myself and the streamers, Bel Geode, NovaWing24, Catstrator and others were introduced to Colonel Doug Champagne, the USA's most decorated serving fighter pilot and we had a preview of his presentation for next weekend. He discussed his interception flights in 9/11, how the whole skies of the US went quiet that night apart from military patrols, the eeriness and horror of that day we remember today. He was a real hero of 9/11 and organised the entire combat air patrols for the USA in the response, in his role as a senior Colonel. He spoke of being in the air as the Towers were hit and diverted to respond. It was very very very moving. All of the streamers, including myself were deeply moved by his story - they actually applauded him and thanked him for his service at the end in tears - and this was supposed to be the staff rehearsal.

He also spoke at length on flying in both Iraq wars with the A-10 and F-16, special forces close air support and so many many other stories. He was supposed to be addressing us for one hour, but we ended up talking for four (I blame Bel Geode who kept asking the questions :-)) )

That was followed by the Colonel demonstrating the F-16 in the simulation, talking through the avionics, his combat missions and actually repeating missions live in the simulator teaching combat flight techniques. Guess who went up in a Cessna, airliner and a MiG in multiplayer to be shot down and intercepted by the Colonel every time.

It was quite simply the most incredible experience I have EVER EVER had in flight simulation, so I didn't want you guys to miss his talks next weekend. Again, this is the most decorated current fighter pilot with over 43 combat medals, the Air Medal with nine oak leaf clusters etc etc!

This isn't a cynical push to promote the event, it is genuinely me and the streamers completely blown away by our experience last night and genuinely and passionately don't want you to miss out on talking with and seeing demonstrations from the most engaging and charismatic pilot I have ever know. We were simply blown away. That is serious, totally heartfelt, most of you guys have known me for years and that I mean stuff.

He has given up the entire weekend of next weekend to be with us (and has special military permission! not to be called away!!) as he cares passionately. He has a severely disabled child himself and wants to help us raise money for disabled kids.

Please please, try and find time to be there and support Colonel Champagne. You can watch the YouTube livestream chats with him at www.flight-angels.com. For a small donation, you can also take part in special invite only workshops where he will be demonstrating the F-16 training sim on live feed!

Again, this is not marketing, not today of all days. We were just so moved by meeting one of the aviation heroes of 9/11 we had to share this with you hand on heart as the streamers will tell you, it is an incredible experience to find out exactly what happened in the air that day and the bravery and courage of those involved. He has special Pentagon permission to discuss the events from the airforce perspective!

I salute Colonel Champagne and his squadron who responded on the day of infamy.

• Upvote 6

- Jane Whittaker

Cool story! Thanks for sharing the details. :Applause:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for sharing this great story, Jane!!!

May I ask what F-16 simulator was Col. Champagne flying?

Enrique Vaamonde

I am really looking forward to meeting you at the Cosford 2016 Flightsim Show, Jane. Your boundless enthusiasm for flight simulation and the charities that you support really comes across in all of your posts B)

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

A long time ago back in the day I was flying Janes WWII fighters. I also had a website called rcwarbirds.com and on this site I had advisors so scale rc flyers could ask questions and get advice. One such advisor was Col Monroe Williams. 

Col Williams flew p-47's and p-51's from England during the big one and later flew jets and many other aircraft. Col Williams also flew Jane's WWII fighters and when I flew against him online he whipped my a** every time, we also flew against some real German WWII pilots.

It was an amazing time and situation flying against and with these real WWII fighter pilots online.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I am really looking forward to meeting you at the Cosford 2016 Flightsim Show, Jane. Your boundless enthusiasm for flight simulation and the charities that you support really comes across in all of your posts B)

Hey Christopher it will be a pleasure to meet you too! I really care about helping kids and the disabled. As many of you know, I no longer hide the fact that I am likely the worlds only conjoined Siamese twin in flight simulation! I had over 40 surgeries as a kid so I care deeply to help others.

You can read a bit about it in the interview here and understand why I do what I do

http://www.develop-online.net/press-releases/life-rsquo-s-a-game-for-pioneer-jane/0223942

• Upvote 2

- Jane Whittaker

Will be there in spirit.

All the best,

Robin

Cape Town - South Africa

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

What a great read! As a simming enthusiast, can't wait for this event, truly unique.

Jane,

I see on the special flights page that Colonel Doug Champagne is flying 3 events on Saturday?

Hopefully, I can get to a virtual fly in with VR.  Now that will be the experience.

Will there be a test server to test the sim prior to event day when we connect to fly also

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Jane,

I see on the special flights page that Colonel Doug Champagne is flying 3 events on Saturday?

Hopefully, I can get to a virtual fly in with VR.  Now that will be the experience.

Will there be a test server to test the sim prior to event day when we connect to fly also

Heya!

Yes the Colonel is flying three special demonstrations flights - you won't be able to join those as he has a very special demonstration to give. It includes aerobatics and combat flying! with full commentary! You need to sign up for those on the special events from the schedule as they are on a separate donate only stream.

That said, the Colonel and myself will both be guest flying with all of you guys on the server we are setting up for everyone. He is looking forward to flying with all of the simmer community! That is totally free and on the server. 

Yes, I am sorting out a test server today. It is in hand :)

So excited!

Jane

- Jane Whittaker