Sign in to follow this  
Skyseek

Conteplating Buying / Using Pilot2ATC

Before even downloading the trial version, I have a few questions:

1. Are most users of Pilot2ATC using a networked configuration?  Do you have to use Wide FS, or does the application work via Simconnect like Active Sky Next, etc?
  2. If you install Pilot2ATC on the primary FSX computer, can you drag the Pilot2ATC application windows to another monitor in a multi monitor configuration?
  3. What is the hit on FPS based on running Networked vs on the Main FSX system.  I have a pretty state of the art system currently getting between 40-60 FPS with some local glass instrument (Ipad) and radio interface  (FSUIPC) and Active Sky Next networked configuration (Simconnect).
  4. Is it compatible with FSX-SE?

It looks like this product is very comprensive in terms of inteface, flight planning and speech recognition and overal ATC emersion.  Just want to get some feedback before spending the time to configure and then be disappointed because of the FPS hit (slide show).  I think the minimum FPS window threshold should be 24 FPS which is the basic motion picture rate, otherwise you get stutters (Like the old days). and blurries, etc.  I think below 24 FPS the sim really suffers realism from the lag in terms of controlling the A/C , etc.

Look forward to hearing feedback.

1) Most users are running Pilot2ATC on the same PC as their SIM.  However, there is a growing number that are happily running it on a networked PC either to get better FPS or to take advantage of a touchscreen laptop/tablet to run it on.  To run networked, you do need Wide FS.  You should read the thread on this forum regarding setting up a networked instance if you decide to try it.

2) Pilot2ATC is a standalone Windows program that interfaces to the SIM via FSUIPC or XPUIPC.  You can place it anywhere you want in a multi-screen environment. 

3) FPS hit depends on the power of your PC.  The more powerful, the less of a hit.  Running it networked, the hit is negligible.  You'll need to try it to find out.  There are  hundreds of users running it on the same machine as their SIM.  If you have a decent system, a slide show is highly unlikely.

4) I have had reports that it works fine with FSX-SE.  I have not personally tried it.

Hope you give it a try,

Dave

Can you give me the link that describes the Network configuration using WideFS.  It has been awhile since I used WideFS.  Is it similar to SimConnect for FSUIPC? 

Thanks!

Read the pinned topic on this subject in this forum FIRST.  You will need additional software to be able to use your mouse/joystick and get sound from both computers.

Here's the link to the FSUIPC/WideFS site.  Their documentation tells how to set it up.

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

Then just start WideFS before you start Pilot2ATC.

Is there a video(s) out there that uses Pilot2ATC in a networked configuration using WideFS?  Where specifically they are sharing mouse and sound, etc?

For the single computer configuration, I notice demos don't typically have the FPS enabled so you can see the FPS rate  (realizing it depends on the hardware).

Thanks!

Video . . . hmmm . . . You're already running a networked setup. Why not download the free trial and install it on your client computer! Much better than a video. You won't regret it. I run my copy in a networked environment. No issues whatsoever.

Cheers, JJ

Are you running additional software that allows you to share your mouse, etc? If so, what is the name of it (link). I am really curious how that works

From a previous post :  You will need additional software to be able to use your mouse/joystick and get sound from both computers.

Thanks everyone who chimed in!

You don't need any additional software to be able to use your mouse or joystick and get sound from both computers. The 'Client' computer has its own mouse and usually its own sound system. But if you want to have sound from the Client computer coming out of the Server sound system, simply run an audio cable from the Audio Out of the Client to the Audio In of the Server. This is great when you want sound from the Client to be recorded during the recording of videos on the flightsim computer, the Server.

The previous post you make reference to might have been pointing to 'Multiplicity', a utility which allows the use of one mouse and the sharing of sound between computers. Nice but not necessary. Google it!

JJ

The sound is feasible.  But now you have to switch back and forth between the FSX system mouse and remote system mouse.  I use Active Sky on a networked computer, but once you do the initial setup, load the flight plan,  you rarely have to interface with it the rest of your flight.

Where as with Pilot2ATC, you use the interface a lot more during the flight.  Thanks!