Sign in to follow this  
busdriver

Virtual Cockpit Views and Movement - What software/Hardware to use

I've been using TIR for many years but lately I've started using the built-in way of moving around by simply holding SPACE and move around with the mouse and I think it works really well and then you can very easily zoom in/out by scrolling the mousewheel.

Edited to add that of course you will miss out from the immersion TIR will provide vs using SPACE and the mouse but at the same time you won't have to continuously keep thinking about holding your head perfectly still or pause TIR not to mention re-center the view every now and then.

I guess both ways moving around have their pros and cons as always.

Richard Åsberg

So instead of just slightly moving your head, you trade for tying up both hands? What's next Richard?  Dump your yoke and throttle and use the keyboard for flight?

:Tounge:

Sorry, just couldn't resist - my weird sense of humor just took over......

Seriously though - I just love TIR but I had the same complaints you voice. My solution was to map a rocker switch on the yoke to F9/F12.  I never worry about head movement when I don't want it. Doing that was probably the best move I made for my simming experience. Flicking the rocker switch takes all of a split second and my views are exactly where I want. It would not be the same doing it from the keyboard, the idea being that my thumb is near the rocker switch and it becomes second nature to flick it as I look around.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Although I don't like having to recenter the TIR all the time (even though I have an easy to access button for that on my joystick) I really can't fly without TiR. Moving around with hat switches or a mouse never ever is as quick and intuitive as TiR.

Yeah guys, I know it sounds crazy :lol:

I guess I should have mentioned that obviously I don't use the SPACE and mouse combo when flying manually but only when I'm on autopilot or on the ground preparing for the flight or shutting down after a flight. When flying manually I mainly look straight ahead and using a zoom level that allows me to see what I need in the NGX v/c and should I need to briefly look into another direction I'll use the hat switch and then I have a button on my CH yoke to quickly re-center the view.

I did use the same method you mention Vic having buttons mapped to pause and re-center the view also when I was using TIR but still it honestly felt like a relief to get rid of the TIR for a while after using it for many years and I honestly don't miss it...at least not so far.

Maybe you guys should give it a go too. Who knows, you might end up as crazy as me :wink:

Richard Åsberg

Is there a work around of some sort, so as to not need a visor or hat? I also don't fly the sim with a headset, but may in time, as I learn more about VATSIM or some other form of ATC.

Thanks,

Busdriver

Is there a work around of some sort, so as to not need a visor or hat? I also don't fly the sim with a headset, but may in time, as I learn more about VATSIM or some other form of ATC.

Thanks,

Busdriver

Like someone already mentioned for TIR there's something called TrackClip Pro that mounts to the mic boom of a headset but obviously if you don't use a headset that won't be of much help to you...

Richard Åsberg

I have the Pro Clip but do not use it. After trying it for a bit I got tired of the extra wires and the sheer size of the thing. Plus: it is much lower than the clip and with a tall monitor the camera would not work properly on top of the monitor.

The clip works just fine.

Track Clip Pro anyone? Cheap, used less than an hour -)

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

What I did when using the TIR and Track Clip Pro to get rid of the wires was to get a wireless headset and a small portable battery pack with a USB connector and I then just put the battery pack in my pocket.

Worked really well!

Richard Åsberg

I use EZ dok. I have had Track IR for many years, but find that many times, I don't even bother using it, and just you the hat switch to look around the cockpit, or a joystick button to change views with Ezdok. Best use for Track IR, is flying a GA aircraft in an airport traffic pattern. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Download FaceTrackNoIR and have a go with that if you don't want to wear anything.

It's pretty good for a) free (if you have a webcam) and b ) not having to wear anything, and gives you an idea of what head tracking is about.

You can cheaply make your own tracker hat or clip if you have a few practical skills rather than buying TrackIR.