Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Has anyone moved from FSX to Xplane?

I'm really interested to hear if anyone has moved from good old FSX to Xplane and what are your thoughts and opinions.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Yes Howard, about a year and a half ago, I bit the bullet.

I'd X-Plane 9 which just sat on the shelf, but X-Plane 10 is a different kettle of fish with 64bit support. Plenty of addons coming up, and you can mostly convert existing FS9 and FSX airports with some free tools.

Flytampa convert better when the FS9 version is used. Flying at night is BRILLLLLIIANT .

t9t91e.jpg

I'd really recommend the IXEG 737-300

There are plenty of screenshots both on avsim and on X-Plane.org

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/23517-what-plane-did-you-fly-today-max-2-pictures-per-post-one-post-per-day-please/&page=1713#comment-1056125

• Upvote 3

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

XPX cant match the immersion of commercial aviation that FSX (or for me now P3D) can.  I have XPX but rarely fly it for that reason.

• Upvote 4

spacer.png

I'd X-Plane 9 which just sat on the shelf, but X-Plane 10 is a different kettle of fish with 64bit support. Plenty of addons coming up, and you can mostly convert existing FS9 and FSX airports with some free tools.

Flytampa convert better when the FS9 version is used. Flying at night is BRILLLLLIIANT .

t9t91e.jpg

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/23517-what-plane-did-you-fly-today-max-2-pictures-per-post-one-post-per-day-please/&page=1713#comment-1056125

I see you're quite trigger happy when it comes to the manipulation of lights  :wink:

• Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

I'm really interested to hear if anyone has moved from good old FSX to Xplane and what are your thoughts and opinions.

Hey Howard,

If you're running a fully loaded FSX you will be disappointed with XP 10.50.

There are some great freeware airports and excellent payware airplanes, but the weather, ATC, AI, lack of seasons, and the UI will cause you to question your investment.

If you love flying at night, you will love XP. :wub:

• Upvote 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I tried xplane and it was great in many ways, but the weather is so poor compared to what im used to with rex and activesky that I just dont use it anymore.   

• Upvote 2

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

t9t91e.jpg

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/23517-what-plane-did-you-fly-today-max-2-pictures-per-post-one-post-per-day-please/&page=1713#comment-1056125Hi 

Hi Jude, interesting, thanks for this information, appreciated. It's going to be a hard decision I think.

XPX cant match the immersion of commercial aviation that FSX (or for me now P3D) can.  I have XPX but rarely fly it for that reason.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

I tried xplane and it was great in many ways, but the weather is so poor compared to what im used to with rex and activesky that I just dont use it anymore.   

Ive switched to XP and im really missing the depiction from AS etc, SMP and RWC are OK but they just dont cut the mustard for me, weather seems to just be in square tiles around the aircraft and when you're at FL350 it can look quite poor.

Having said that, at night time you really feel like you're in that cockpit, especially in the IXEG.

Hi Mike, that is one big sticking factor for me, and one for many others I think. Why they haven't addressed this with the latest incarnation of XP goodness knows. The clouds really don't 'do it' for me. For me, it really is all about immersion.

Howard

I switched year ago, but after 250 hours I'm still not fully convinced. X-Plane is beautiful if you tune it a little bit - the mesh, ortho maps, world2xp, night lightning, terra haze, ... It can look so amazing. But there is no equivalent (in term of quality) for UT2, GSX, ASN and airliners are still not as good as for FSX/P3D (even for the same price value).

Milan Zikmund

• Upvote 2

I moved to xplane 10, and I love it, I mainly fly airliners and using the freeware x737 with the payware Javier Cortes xfmc provides a very good experience to me. The LES Saab 340 is also a nice module.

The amount of freeware scenery is definitely an asset too.

The only reason p3d is still installed is the Majestic Q400. FSX with the ngx is uninstalled already.

The default scenery of FSX/ P3D is inferior to Xplane 10 to me. I can't stand the blurry ground while cruising in p3d anymore. Textures stay real sharp in Xplane 10.

And the night lightening is amazing.

And the sloped runways, give you that extra challenge while flaring and make the scenery seem more real.

Disclaimer: this is my personnal opinion, not wanting to start any arguments, I do what I want with my free time and what's on the hard drive.

• Upvote 1

There's a lot of speculation some sort of XP11 announcement will be made in October. Might be worth holding any horses you have until then.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Yes I actually uninstalled FSX as Xplane is much better in terms of performance and graphics at night(when I fly) the addons are great like the Flight factor 767 and IEGX 737,both of which but FSX addons to shame. I do keep p3dv3 installed for all my GA flying as I think it looks better graphics wise in the day time

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I moved to P3D from X-Plane. Just the opposite. It's still lacking a lot of things, and it's not in the same level as FSX/P3D which have been around ages and matured quite nicely. X-Plane has great night lighting, but that's about it for me.

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU