Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Has anyone moved from FSX to Xplane?

Yes I actually uninstalled FSX as Xplane is much better in terms of performance and graphics at night(when I fly) the addons are great like the Flight factor 767 and IEGX 737,both of which but FSX addons to shame. I do keep p3dv3 installed for all my GA flying as I think it looks better graphics wise in the day time

I find it hard to agree that FF767 and IXEG 737 are inferior to PMDG. Both are good but not of the same caliber as the 777 and NGX. The 777 has the excellent wind forecast which is incomparable in its descent forecasting. The NGX has virtually every system simulated and has failures so well simulated that I have scrambled, with sweaty palms to diagnose a light that comes on in the middle of a challenging approach. Further the IXEG vnav system is broken. I have yet to find an XP airliner that has a fully functional FMS.

As far as GA, F1 GTN 650/750 on an A2A or the Realair Duke aircraft...need I say more?

On the other hand, the DC-6 on XP is the best version on any platform.

• Upvote 2

I find it hard to agree that FF767 and IXEG 737 are inferior to PMDG. Both are good but not of the same caliber as the 777 and NGX. The 777 has the excellent wind forecast which is incomparable in its descent forecasting. The NGX has virtually every system simulated and has failures so well simulated that I have scrambled, with sweaty palms to diagnose a light that comes on in the middle of a challenging approach. Further the IXEG vnav system is broken. I have yet to find an XP airliner that has a fully functional FMS.

As far as GA, F1 GTN 650/750 on an A2A or the Realair Duke aircraft...need I say more?

On the other hand, the DC-6 on XP is the best version on any platform.

The Igex 737 isn't done yet and almost all the systems are present those that aren't are going to be added. I've never used wind forcasts in the PMDG 777,I'm not even sure what you need them for. As for failures I never use them either,I don't want to be 3 hours into a flight for my VA just to loose an engine or somthing of the like and have to divert. The IGEX does have failures I had to shut down an engine in flight due to oil stavation as I had flown about 10 legs that day and never reloaded the plane and it ran out of oil in number 2. What's nice about Xplane is No OOMS no random CTD's so if I want to fly 10 legs in a day I can and never have to reload the sim.
  • Upvote 3

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I personally couldn't bear to go back to the depictions of flight sim that are FSX and P3d. I went through them on my way to finding what in my personal opinion is the best sim experience to be had. With a little effort (what sim doesn't take effort?) and for a lot less money than one might spend on the others to get them to their satisfaction, X-Plane 10 becomes something truly special, truly worthwhile. Try it, you might find you like it.

• Upvote 3

I personally couldn't bear to go back to the depictions of flight sim that are FSX and P3d. I went through them on my way to finding what in my personal opinion is the best sim experience to be had. With a little effort (what sim doesn't take effort?) and for a lot less money than one might spend on the others to get them to their satisfaction, X-Plane 10 becomes something truly special, truly worthwhile. Try it, you might find you like it.

This.

P3d and FSX get really expansive really fast.

The mindset of the Xplane community is different as well, there is more ppl working out of pure passion and giving their work to the community for free (see Mister X amazing work)

• Upvote 4

The Igex 737 isn't done yet and almost all the systems are present those that aren't are going to be added. I've never used wind forcasts in the PMDG 777,I'm not even sure what you need them for.

The wind forecast is for accurate descent preparation to avoid excessive speed braking or S-turns on descent in gusty conditions. Of course its not necessary to fly the aircraft accurately, but adds a level of depth to the sim and if these things are not important to you, then IXEG or FlightFactor are fine aircraft. 

• Upvote 1

Wow, some great opinions here fellas. Thanks to all for such passioned replies. It really is very interesting to here such diverse opinions about something that has been experienced by so many people about the same bit of software. 

I have been simming for about 6 years now, and during that time I have invested in excess of about £5000 on FSX, that includes all the hardware as well as zillions of airports, scenery and addons. So I guess what I'm saying is that there is not a single default element in my entire FSX. I actually like installing addons tio make my flying experience more immersive. I like to jump in the cockpit and fly as closely as possible to the real thing. From what I've seen of Xplane, has more or less been confirmed here. It looks great at night, but during the daytime it comes second to FSX and P3D. Most of my flying is done during the day. I have all the Orbx sceneries, ASN, REX, Voxatc so it is all very immersive. I do have a few concerns that I won't get that degree of reality and immersion with Xplane.

• Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

XPX cant match the immersion of commercial aviation that FSX (or for me now P3D) can.  I have XPX but rarely fly it for that reason.

Blurries and stutters kills any immersion, that is why I dont fly P3D

• Upvote 3

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Switched from FSX/P3D a few years ago and little regrets. I just find XPX a better platform for next-gen hardware.

• Upvote 3

It really is very interesting to here such diverse opinions about something that has been experienced by so many people about the same bit of software.

Exactly, and none of the posters knows what would be your impression of X-Plane.

during that time I have invested in excess of about £5000 on FSX

And you're afraid to spend 60$ to try it by yourself ? :smile:

Try it, it's the only way to know.

Pascal

Exactly, and none of the posters knows what would be your impression of X-Plane.

And you're afraid to spend 60$ to try it by yourself ? :smile:

Try it, it's the only way to know.

Pascal

Sure, I did once before, but it lasted about half an hour! I basically thought the scenery sucked big time. However, I am curious to see if anything has changed over the past couple of years.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

I'll bet you WILL spend more than what XP10 costs ($60) to get P3D going.

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I'll bet you WILL spend more than what XP10 costs ($60) to get P3D going.

Nope, I won't go down that road. It's either stick with FSX as I upgrade my hardware, or Xplane.

Howard

Nope, I won't go down that road. It's either stick with FSX as I upgrade my hardware, or Xplane.

I suggest you wait until after Oct 8 as this is when LR will be making a big announcement at the 2016 Flight Sim Expo, must of us here are assuming its will be about XP11.

XP 10, once setup right along with some great freeware, is very enjoyable, no blurries, no OOM's and with the right hardware, you will experience exceptionally great performance.

XP10 is the foundation of what I think will be a fantastic flight sim once weather/seasons get ironed out, it has gotten a lot of development traction lately, lots and lots of fantastic freeware.

One thing I know for sure, XP will only get better as time goes by.

• Upvote 1

I do have a few concerns that I won't get that degree of reality and immersion with Xplane.

It can look great in daylight too:

• Upvote 2

Awesome video, awesome! Well I've had X plane now for a couple of years, came over from fsx and not missed fsx, fsx is old news. I bought the ixeg 737 and it blew me away, myself personally I find it more immersive than any other aircraft, I think it is fantastic as I do X plane, the weather isn't great but you get used to it and it will get better for sure, its defo worth having it installed. Cheers

Paul EGCC

• Upvote 1

Regards

Paul EGCC