Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Has anyone moved from FSX to Xplane?

Good thing London is far away from me otherwise I would probably totally lose my sh,it if I saw Tony :D World2Xplane was a complete game changer for X-Plane's scenery, especially when it is used in combination with othrophoto scenery. Speaking for myself, if it weren't for W2XP I would have gone back to FSX/Prepar3D.

I hope you guys record some video of Laminar presentation !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

When is it going to take place?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Good thing London is far away from me otherwise I would probably totally lose my sh,it if I saw Tony :D World2Xplane was a complete game changer for X-Plane's scenery, especially when it is used in combination with othrophoto scenery. Speaking for myself, if it weren't for W2XP I would have gone back to FSX/Prepar3D.

Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad you like the W2XP/Ortho combo :-). Actually the conference is in Cosford about 2 two hours drive from Manchester. I'm staying near to the airport and driving down from the airport in the morning, but traffic on the M6 can be bad, so I'm making an early start. 

If I don't see anyone else recording it then I'll do my best, but it will be a cell phone recording. I hope this year somebody does a professional recording with a tripod and decent sound quality. Perhaps people would be more interested if I keep a live thread here with the most important points running and add pictures (depending on whether there is net access).

When is it going to take place?

8th October. There will be two presentations, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I'm also interested in speaking with DTG and meeting some other developers in person. 

P.S. Jose, I've heard flights from Lisbon to Manchester or Liverpool are quite cheap ;-)

I can never understand why the presenters themselves don't make good quality recordings of their own presentation for distribution on Youtube.   It's a no brainer.  Especially with a presentation as big as this. 

Why reach 100 people in one presentation and rely on someone's crappy iphone recording to be posted when you can reach thousands with a good quality presentation of your own.

• Upvote 3

Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad you like the W2XP/Ortho combo :-). Actually the conference is in Cosford about 2 two hours drive from Manchester. I'm staying near to the airport and driving down from the airport in the morning, but traffic on the M6 can be bad, so I'm making an early start. 

8th October. There will be two presentations, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I'm also interested in speaking with DTG and meeting some other developers in person. 

P.S. Jose, I've heard flights from Lisbon to Manchester or Liverpool are quite cheap ;-)

I know Tony, and I'd love to be there - never attended such a workshop / conference other than the great VisrtualAirShow that took place until 2006 here in Portugal, every two years... By those days I will be rather busy, day and night unfortunately, otherwise I would surely try to go there too ... if not for other good reasons, at least to meet people we all know across the Internet, but never in person :-)

I hope you enjoy your stay and am looking forward for your reports :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hi 

Just to add to this topic, I use both FSX:SE, X-Plane and PSX (I don't see myself investing in P3D)

I use very few addons in any sim, I will list these:-

FSX:SE

Active Sky

FSUIPC

FSLabs A320 (previously PMDG, Level-D)

X-Plane

FS Global Real Weather

Mesh

FF 777 767 757 and very likely the IXEG when time allows

Why do I like FSX:SE ?

Time acceleration

Most aircraft add-ons allow saving and therefore resuming of a flight.

Pop out e.g. PDF, ND

Exit sim has to be confirmed with an acknowledgement!

Why do I like X-Plane

Appeals better visually to me, even airports just with taxiways are good for my experience.

Flight dynamics

Sloping runways and taxiways

Easier to set up flight controls - e.g. after an OS reinstall in the summer I simply launched x-plane and it picked up the previous configuration of my game controllers

Easy to install scenery.

So in short, having started with FS (I guess like most of us!), I have just naturally moved towards more flying in XP this year. Indeed after the OS install it was a month before I reinstalled FSX.

- Carl
  • Upvote 1

The freeware community is awesome ! Thanks Tony for the awesome work you have done for the community !

Has anybody deciphered the cryptic videos from Laminar ?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Why do I like FSX:SE ?

Time acceleration

you can do some time acceleration on xplane.

Map any key of your liking (i do use CTRL + T) to operation/flightmodel_speed_change.

Pressing CTRL + T starts accelerating, each press accelerates more 2x 4x until last press disables it.

during acceleration mode xplane simulates everything as during normal time (is not jumping!), so how fast you can accelerate depends on your hardware power to keep up xplane pace simulating everything at a speed.

Manuel Merelles

you can do some time acceleration on xplane.

Map any key of your liking (i do use CTRL + T) to operation/flightmodel_speed_change.

Pressing CTRL + T starts accelerating, each press accelerates more 2x 4x until last press disables it.

during acceleration mode xplane simulates everything as during normal time (is not jumping!), so how fast you can accelerate depends on your hardware power to keep up xplane pace simulating everything at a speed.

I'll add that the best technique would be to go to external view and zoom out at the max (basically so that the view is going into outer space and the size of the earth becomes a pixel). This way, the rendering load is minimized and the FPS should go up, so that the max time acceleration achievable increases.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

What I should have said is - for me - time acceleration is better in FSX as  whilst I'm aware of CTRL+T in X-plane I only get upto 2x but I will try the above tip.

What I should have said is - for me - time acceleration is better in FSX as  whilst I'm aware of CTRL+T in X-plane I only get upto 2x but I will try the above tip.

I find using the Simple Warp plugin a better way to "speed" up, I usually warp 100nm at a time so I don't crash but it makes long haul flights not so long :-) The only problem with this is it doesn't speed up the time.

in X-plane I only get upto 2x but I will try the above tip

The multiplier factor depend also by your rendering options, X-Plane will tell you which value is the maximum allowed by your configuration.

Our web site: http://ats-simulations.com/

Our MD-82/83 Project Youtube channel: A.T.S. Aircraft Training Solutions

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

Hey guys, who is the main developer of airports for XP?

Check out MisterX6's freeware version of KBOS to see what's out there. http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/33270-kbos-boston-logan-international-airport/

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Check out MisterX6's freeware version of KBOS to see what's out there. http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/33270-kbos-boston-logan-international-airpoThanks Jude

Thanks Jude

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776