Sign in to follow this  
Ivar Dozon

Can't complete a flight without a CTD..

Hello, I've got a pretty big problem here...

I'm getting CTD:s, all the time.

It's not a Out of memory, it would happen at gate, in the air, before landing, taxiing, you name it! 

Doesn't matter if I'm flying at a dense scenery with the PMDG 737, or everything default, sometime it will crash.

I won't get a error message, It's just like this:

P3D Freezes - sounds on. P3D sounds off, task manager detects "P3D doesn't answer". Cooling fan starts. Crash to desktop without warning or anything. Cooler stops. Silence :(

This is EXTREMELY annoying since I simply can't fly anymore, the sim WILL crash.

I would be really greatful if anybody would try to help me :)

//Ivar

My only suggestion is the check out the AVSIM CTD Guide (see link in my signature), especially the section entitled "How to fix Most Freezes/Crashes" starting on Page 10.  The guide has a lot of troubleshooting tips.  There's a lot of things that could be going wrong with your computer that is causing P3D to crash.  Once you get the crash(es) fixed, I highly recommend checking out the AVSIM P3D Guide which provides a lot of tips and configuration guidance to help guide you to a perfect setup and total enjoyment of P3D.  That link is in my signature too.

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Download a copy of ProcessExplorer and monitor the "Commit Charge" value during your flight.

My only suggestion is the check out the AVSIM CTD Guide (see link in my signature), especially the section entitled "How to fix Most Freezes/Crashes" starting on Page 10.  The guide has a lot of troubleshooting tips.  There's a lot of things that could be going wrong with your computer that is causing P3D to crash.  Once you get the crash(es) fixed, I highly recommend checking out the AVSIM P3D Guide which provides a lot of tips and configuration guidance to help guide you to a perfect setup and total enjoyment of P3D.  That link is in my signature too.

Best regards,

Thanks for the replies, I will try everything and be in touch soon.

Download a copy of ProcessExplorer and monitor the "Commit Charge" value during your flight.

Do you have link?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Appcrashview won't detect the CTD as a crash..

Any suggestions?

If AppCrashView does not detect the crash, then you had no crash as the AppCrashView program interprets the Microsoft Windows Error Reporting.  You'll see those error message when you application suddenly shutsdown and it states something like Windows found an error and is looking for a solution.

In the AVSIM CTD Guide, there is also a guide on how to open up and look at your Event Viewer.  Many pictures are included showing where to look and how to get that information up and into one of your posts.  See page 7 of the guide.

So, did you try the suggestions on how to fix most crashes/freezes? 

P3D Freezes - sounds on. P3D sounds off, task manager detects "P3D doesn't answer". Cooling fan starts. Crash to desktop without warning or anything. Cooler stops. Silence

Not sure why your cooling fan would suddenly start when P3D stops responding and then the cooling fans suddenly stops when P3D CTD's.  You are the only one reporting this issue.  Are you sure it is not your HDD(s) suddenly ramping up and searching your drive (thrashing)?  This happens when there are too many tasks put on your system to accomplish.  I use to get HDD thrashing when I loaded about 40 photo scenery's.  It pretty much took down my system (but never crashed but made P3D unusable).  I found out later that just loading the photo scenery I needed for a flight session stopped the thrashing.  So your system may not be able to handle P3D and any add-ons, especially if you have high settings.  This is one reason why the guide recommends moving your p3d.cfg to a temporary folder and letting P3D rebuild the configuration.  It gets rid of tweaks and high settings that may be harming your computer system.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Not sure why your cooling fan would suddenly start when P3D stops responding and then the cooling fans suddenly stops when P3D CTD's.

He's got one or more cores pegged at 100% within P3D.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

If AppCrashView does not detect the crash, then you had no crash as the AppCrashView program interprets the Microsoft Windows Error Reporting.  You'll see those error message when you application suddenly shutsdown and it states something like Windows found an error and is looking for a solution.

In the AVSIM CTD Guide, there is also a guide on how to open up and look at your Event Viewer.  Many pictures are included showing where to look and how to get that information up and into one of your posts.  See page 7 of the guide.

So, did you try the suggestions on how to fix most crashes/freezes? 

Not sure why your cooling fan would suddenly start when P3D stops responding and then the cooling fans suddenly stops when P3D CTD's.  You are the only one reporting this issue.  Are you sure it is not your HDD(s) suddenly ramping up and searching your drive (thrashing)?  This happens when there are too many tasks put on your system to accomplish.  I use to get HDD thrashing when I loaded about 40 photo scenery's.  It pretty much took down my system (but never crashed but made P3D unusable).  I found out later that just loading the photo scenery I needed for a flight session stopped the thrashing.  So your system may not be able to handle P3D and any add-ons, especially if you have high settings.  This is one reason why the guide recommends moving your p3d.cfg to a temporary folder and letting P3D rebuild the configuration.  It gets rid of tweaks and high settings that may be harming your computer system.

Thank's for the fast reply, really appreciate it.

I did move the .cfg's to a temp folder, and found P3D alot smoother, but the sim does still crash. Again, this is NOT a OOM crash or anything with resources to do, I would guess, because P3D would CTD within ANY scenario, everything default and no other apps running on the system, or tons of apps running and a PMDG at ImagineSim Atlanta. I don't really understand that HDD thing though..

Anyways, telling me that my system might not be able to handle P3D makes me worried.. But as I said below, it isn't a out of resources crash, it just happens suddenly. I strongly think it has to do with something in the P3D system. Maybe an incompatible addon? But since windows ain't recognizing the CTD as a crash, I'm getting both worried and confused.

//Ivar

Maybe an incompatible addon? But since windows ain't recognizing the CTD as a crash, I'm getting both worried and confused.

An incompatible add-on, even though it appeared to install correctly or you manually installed it, can cause crashes.  It is impossible to know which one as I have no idea what is installed on your computer but the P3D Forum has a long thread about compatible add-ons.  Just because you buy the Estonia Tool (just saying, do not know if you bought it or not) does it mean the tool will install the product properly into P3D.

Luke has a good suggestion above in that I believe he's talking about the Affinity Mask tweak.  Many employ this tweak using other peoples settings and those settings do not necessarily work the same in every computer.  For instance, hyper-threading is turned on or off depending on the application.  If set improperly, it can cause one or more of the cpu cores to run at 100% and eventually creating a crash.  This is one reason why I really, really hate this tweak because we have a lot of people who are not computer literate and just employ the tweak without any knowledge of what they are doing.  It worked for Sam and he said his performance was dramatically increased so I will employ it too.  I only want the best performance. 

I have tried this tweak but have seen little or no improvements to P3D.  Some say it works great but think it is just a placebo.  I get great performance w/o any tweaks and I strongly recommend people stay away from tweaks unless they know exactly what they are doing.  Even then I would be careful.  Seems to me if a tweak really worked great in an application, the developer (Lockheed) would incorporate the tweak in the application.  They want their product to work the best and, if a tweak works great for their product, they will install it themselves (they do have the capability of warning users during the install whether HT is turned on or off.

The other tweak which is pure rubbish is the bufferpool tweak.  It is used for tweaking autogen only.  P3D already uses a default bufferpool tweak not displayed in the P3D.cfg but a part of the programming.  This tweak has easily brought FSX to its knees on many occasions and I suspect it does the same for P3D since P3D is FSX.  For me it caused massive stuttering and long pauses.  I removed the tweak and the stuttering and pauses were gone.

In regards to the HDD thrashing, P3D loads every photo scenery file that is activated in the scenery.cfg.  It also loads any and all commercial add-ons that use autogen.  Many of the FTX Regions (I have no idea if you have them installed or not) have photoscenery included.  Just saying).  Many of the commercial add-on airports have photoscenery included.  Photoscenery will load no matter whether you are in that region or not.  Anything in the Scenery/World/Scenery folder loads too whether you are using it or not.  So this could cause some thrashing if you have a lot of commercial scenery activated as it is constantly loading the scenery into the application.  You just need to be wary of what you have enabled in the scenery.cfg (if you have addons), and your P3D settings.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Luke has a good suggestion above in that I believe he's talking about the Affinity Mask tweak.

No, I'm just talking about how the fans may go up and down in speed (and therefore noise) based on CPU and GPU utilization. Modern motherboards and graphics will control the fan speed automatically based on core temperature. I have a Q9550 quad-core that generates jet stream maps based on the GFS forecast grids; each time it does so the fans are very noticeable as all four cores go to 100% for a few minutes.

I'm not making any references to AffinityMask, although for what it's worth I've noticed it eliminate a specific ASN hang when using the PMDG744.

Ivar, are you certain that P3D is terminating without you telling task manager to kill it? There should be a log somewhere in the Windows Event logs.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

An incompatible add-on, even though it appeared to install correctly or you manually installed it, can cause crashes.  It is impossible to know which one as I have no idea what is installed on your computer but the P3D Forum has a long thread about compatible add-ons.  Just because you buy the Estonia Tool (just saying, do not know if you bought it or not) does it mean the tool will install the product properly into P3D.

Luke has a good suggestion above in that I believe he's talking about the Affinity Mask tweak.  Many employ this tweak using other peoples settings and those settings do not necessarily work the same in every computer.  For instance, hyper-threading is turned on or off depending on the application.  If set improperly, it can cause one or more of the cpu cores to run at 100% and eventually creating a crash.  This is one reason why I really, really hate this tweak because we have a lot of people who are not computer literate and just employ the tweak without any knowledge of what they are doing.  It worked for Sam and he said his performance was dramatically increased so I will employ it too.  I only want the best performance. 

I have tried this tweak but have seen little or no improvements to P3D.  Some say it works great but think it is just a placebo.  I get great performance w/o any tweaks and I strongly recommend people stay away from tweaks unless they know exactly what they are doing.  Even then I would be careful.  Seems to me if a tweak really worked great in an application, the developer (Lockheed) would incorporate the tweak in the application.  They want their product to work the best and, if a tweak works great for their product, they will install it themselves (they do have the capability of warning users during the install whether HT is turned on or off.

The other tweak which is pure rubbish is the bufferpool tweak.  It is used for tweaking autogen only.  P3D already uses a default bufferpool tweak not displayed in the P3D.cfg but a part of the programming.  This tweak has easily brought FSX to its knees on many occasions and I suspect it does the same for P3D since P3D is FSX.  For me it caused massive stuttering and long pauses.  I removed the tweak and the stuttering and pauses were gone.

In regards to the HDD thrashing, P3D loads every photo scenery file that is activated in the scenery.cfg.  It also loads any and all commercial add-ons that use autogen.  Many of the FTX Regions (I have no idea if you have them installed or not) have photoscenery included.  Just saying).  Many of the commercial add-on airports have photoscenery included.  Photoscenery will load no matter whether you are in that region or not.  Anything in the Scenery/World/Scenery folder loads too whether you are using it or not.  So this could cause some thrashing if you have a lot of commercial scenery activated as it is constantly loading the scenery into the application.  You just need to be wary of what you have enabled in the scenery.cfg (if you have addons), and your P3D settings.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Wow, that's alot to take in...

I'll try to config P3D the best I can, but meanwhile I'll send my PC specs. 

And yes, I have ALOT of addons, I repeat ALOT of scenery. I still don't get hang of that HDD thing, do you mean I should turn off the sceneries I am not using at the moment and then turn them on when I'm flying there? I also have FTX Global, FTX Norway, FTX North America and lots of airports.

ALSO, I found out two things that might be interesting.. At cruise with the iFly 747, the sim did the "CTD Procedure" again, but after a while freezing the sim came alive for 1 second, then CTD.. That never happend before though..

All this is so confusing for me, I wish FSX Genious wouln't be in jail right now so he  could tweak my P3D LOL!

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) Intel® Core i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz 8192MB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti P3D v.3.2

Graphics: http://imgur.com/a/BOsKb

Scenery:

Lighting:

Weather:

Traffic:

General:

Realism:

I still don't get hang of that HDD thing, do you mean I should turn off the sceneries I am not using at the moment and then turn them on when I'm flying there?

I had no idea what you had installed so just mentioned the issue with photo scenery whereby it will load no matter where you are in the world flying.  If you have no photo scenery, then it should not be an issue. 

At cruise with the iFly 747, the sim did the "CTD Procedure" again, but after a while freezing the sim came alive for 1 second, then CTD.. That never happend before though..

The ifly.dll has been misidentified by anti-virus and malware programs as a virus/malware and the module is quarantined.  Make sure any anti-virus or anti-malware program is set not to scan the folder where IFly is installed.  I have exempted the whole drive that P3D is installed on.  Microsoft's MS Essentials and the Defender program has been known to quarantine this module too.  It is a false-positive and the ifly.dll is safe on your computer (I know as I own the iFly 744 too).  This could be the cause of the CTD.  However, the fact you have iFly aircraft flying at cruise level means you have it working properly until it gets to cruise level.  Just because the sim crashes when flying the ifly 747 does not mean it is the fault of the program.  There are many many other things that could have caused the crash.  But, if the AppCrashView program or your Event Viewer identifies an ifly module, most likely it is the cause of the crash.  If it does not show ifly caused the error, then it could be anything.  This is why it is important to see an error report.  If P3D shuts down abnormally for any reason, you can bet there will be an Event created.  An Event is created for everything happening on your computer system.  It provides information so technicians or computer experts can diagnose any issues with your computer.

AVSIM has something better than FSX Genius - the AVSIM P3D Guide authored by one of our moderators, Rob Ainscough.  It provides in-depth information on configuring P3D properly.  I personally think the AVSIM CTD Guide provides some valuable information for computer novices too.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I had no idea what you had installed so just mentioned the issue with photo scenery whereby it will load no matter where you are in the world flying.  If you have no photo scenery, then it should not be an issue. 

The ifly.dll has been misidentified by anti-virus and malware programs as a virus/malware and the module is quarantined.  Make sure any anti-virus or anti-malware program is set not to scan the folder where IFly is installed.  I have exempted the whole drive that P3D is installed on.  Microsoft's MS Essentials and the Defender program has been known to quarantine this module too.  It is a false-positive and the ifly.dll is safe on your computer (I know as I own the iFly 744 too).  This could be the cause of the CTD.  However, the fact you have iFly aircraft flying at cruise level means you have it working properly until it gets to cruise level.  Just because the sim crashes when flying the ifly 747 does not mean it is the fault of the program.  There are many many other things that could have caused the crash.  But, if the AppCrashView program or your Event Viewer identifies an ifly module, most likely it is the cause of the crash.  If it does not show ifly caused the error, then it could be anything.  This is why it is important to see an error report.  If P3D shuts down abnormally for any reason, you can bet there will be an Event created.  An Event is created for everything happening on your computer system.  It provides information so technicians or computer experts can diagnose any issues with your computer.

AVSIM has something better than FSX Genius - the AVSIM P3D Guide authored by one of our moderators, Rob Ainscough.  It provides in-depth information on configuring P3D properly.  I personally think the AVSIM CTD Guide provides some valuable information for computer novices too.

Best regards,

Jim

Haha, I've uninstalled every kind of antivirus software, since I seem to hear about "try to disable you antivirus" most of the times I've got a problem.

It's clearly not the iFly since the crash happens all the time too, not only with specific aircraft. Anyways i found out a second interesting thing today... Now microsoft did detect the CTD as a crash, but UNLUCKLY, yet no log or whatsoever in AppCrashView.. 

Anyways, got to do my homeworks now, so can't go on with the text :P

Will update more tomorrow!

Did you look at my settings/specs?

Any comments about that?

Did you look at my settings/specs?
Any comments about that?

I did look at your specs and was going to comment but had posted enough already.  You do not have a super system but it should work with FSX or P3D.  It's just that you will need to watch your settings a little.  It was first released in 2012.  Right now (as of 13 Sep 2016) the i5 3350P is near the bottom of the pack in comparison with other CPU's - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-3350P+%40+3.10GHz.  FSX/P3D use the CPU more than the GPU so an important component.  Still your CPU and GPU are about 3-4 times faster than the best CPU/GPU's in existence when FSX was first released in 2006.  Back then we had to keep our settings at a very modest/conservative range to avoid massive pauses and very low fps.  My CPU (i7 4770K), in comparison to yours, is about 90% better in regards to performance. 

I could not review your P3D settings as only the graphics setting opened up.  Your other links do not work.  Make sure you open up the icon in the menu above your post that has a link in it and then paste the link into the box.  You should also copy the BBCode link on the website where you have the image and not the HTML link.  We use BBCode here at AVSIM as it is more secure.

In regards to anti-virus or anti-malware software, they should be disabled when you install something OR do what I suggested above and exempt the drive or folder when P3D resides.  Then your anti-virus or anti-malware program will not be canning those folders for viruses (flight siimmers know what and where software for P3D comes from.  You just should not install anything that you have no knowledge.  Windows will tell you at the beginning of any install whether or not you want to install such and such software.  If you don't know what or where it came from, you do not install it).  I do not use any anti-virus program and never have (since 1991) and have avoided viruses (well, maybe I had Norton Security installed once but not for long).  My firewall protects me from most evil stuff.  I do receive malware but have recently installed Anti-MalwareBytes Professional and it has stopped most of the malware (but not all).  I use the exempt tab to exempt MalwareBytes from scanning my K drive where FSX and P3D are located.  You should periodically check your quarantine section in Windows Defender and any Anti-virus/Malware program.  Some of these programs just quarantine a module without your knowledge thinking they are saving you.  A lot of FSX and P3D programs contain false positives which anti-virus or anti-malware programs think are viruses or malware but the detection is false.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM