Ivar Dozon

Can't complete a flight without a CTD..

Scenery: http://imgur.com/a/f6XeB

Lighting: http://imgur.com/a/EDLF5

Weather: http://imgur.com/a/LuOt5

Traffic: http://imgur.com/a/wThs3

General: http://imgur.com/a/63BEa

Realism: http://imgur.com/a/6UyXj

I did look at your specs and was going to comment but had posted enough already.  You do not have a super system but it should work with FSX or P3D.  It's just that you will need to watch your settings a little.  It was first released in 2012.  Right now (as of 13 Sep 2016) the i5 3350P is near the bottom of the pack in comparison with other CPU's - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-3350P+%40+3.10GHz.  FSX/P3D use the CPU more than the GPU so an important component.  Still your CPU and GPU are about 3-4 times faster than the best CPU/GPU's in existence when FSX was first released in 2006.  Back then we had to keep our settings at a very modest/conservative range to avoid massive pauses and very low fps.  My CPU (i7 4770K), in comparison to yours, is about 90% better in regards to performance. 

I could not review your P3D settings as only the graphics setting opened up.  Your other links do not work.  Make sure you open up the icon in the menu above your post that has a link in it and then paste the link into the box.  You should also copy the BBCode link on the website where you have the image and not the HTML link.  We use BBCode here at AVSIM as it is more secure.

In regards to anti-virus or anti-malware software, they should be disabled when you install something OR do what I suggested above and exempt the drive or folder when P3D resides.  Then your anti-virus or anti-malware program will not be canning those folders for viruses (flight siimmers know what and where software for P3D comes from.  You just should not install anything that you have no knowledge.  Windows will tell you at the beginning of any install whether or not you want to install such and such software.  If you don't know what or where it came from, you do not install it).  I do not use any anti-virus program and never have (since 1991) and have avoided viruses (well, maybe I had Norton Security installed once but not for long).  My firewall protects me from most evil stuff.  I do receive malware but have recently installed Anti-MalwareBytes Professional and it has stopped most of the malware (but not all).  I use the exempt tab to exempt MalwareBytes from scanning my K drive where FSX and P3D are located.  You should periodically check your quarantine section in Windows Defender and any Anti-virus/Malware program.  Some of these programs just quarantine a module without your knowledge thinking they are saving you.  A lot of FSX and P3D programs contain false positives which anti-virus or anti-malware programs think are viruses or malware but the detection is false.

Best regards,

Jim

Ok, I've been thinking of buying this CPU (Swedish site): https://www.netonnet.se/art/komponenter/processor/intelsocket1151/intel-core-i7-6700k-4a0ghz/219802.11749/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwsO6-BRDRy8bsxfiV2bkBEiQAF8EzKP5wH6bU7ye8IlU-IGaKPFbqnjEKkbFY_neq3Y4a7xgaAt_i8P8HAQ

But It's a bit pricy.. Is it a bit "too good" if you get it, or is it just the one i should save up for? Would a i7 3.5 ghz be "good enought" to run P3D well? I mean, this one:

https://www.netonnet.se/art/komponenter/processor/intelsocket1151/intel-core-i5-6600k-3a5ghz/219804.11749/#

is ALOT cheaper, but what's the difference in performance?

Thanks.

//Ivar

copy the links to your adress bar.

Ok, I've been thinking of buying this CPU (Swedish site): https://www.netonnet...a7xgaAt_i8P8HAQ

But It's a bit pricy.. Is it a bit "too good" if you get it, or is it just the one i should save up for? Would a i7 3.5 ghz be "good enought" to run P3D well? I mean, this one:

If you buy the i7 6700K, you are near the latest technology.  Unfortunately, you cannot just buy the CPU as it has a different socket from the socket in your current motherboard.  So you would have to buy a new Motherboard too.  New RAM too.  It could really get expensive.  I have a system that will run P3D well and I just have the i7 4770K CPU and the GTX 780 GPU.  You cannot max out settings but, as you can see in the link I provided you above with the benchmarks, my CPU is about 90% faster in performance.  My CPU was released in 2013 and the prices for it have gone down for a system like it.  You could check for computers for sale on E-Bay in your country that has the i5 6600K or i7 4770 CPU's.  It would be best to get a built computer with the CPU and Motherboard already installed (unless you know how to build a computer) then it would be a matter of just buying a new Motherboard and CPU and moving all the other components in your i7 3350P to the new build.

The i5 6600K is a good CPU in comparison to many of the i7 CPU's.  It currently tops the list - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-6600K+%40+3.50GHz and provides a better value.  Still, with this CPU you would also have to upgrade your motherboard as your socket is 1155 and the i5 6600K has the 1151 socket.

I wish I could give you better advice.  Our Hardware Forum has experts who can also advise the best options to get.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If you buy the i7 6700K, you are near the latest technology.  Unfortunately, you cannot just buy the CPU as it has a different socket from the socket in your current motherboard.  So you would have to buy a new Motherboard too.  New RAM too.  It could really get expensive.  I have a system that will run P3D well and I just have the i7 4770K CPU and the GTX 780 GPU.  You cannot max out settings but, as you can see in the link I provided you above with the benchmarks, my CPU is about 90% faster in performance.  My CPU was released in 2013 and the prices for it have gone down for a system like it.  You could check for computers for sale on E-Bay in your country that has the i5 6600K or i7 4770 CPU's.  It would be best to get a built computer with the CPU and Motherboard already installed (unless you know how to build a computer) then it would be a matter of just buying a new Motherboard and CPU and moving all the other components in your i7 3350P to the new build.

The i5 6600K is a good CPU in comparison to many of the i7 CPU's.  It currently tops the list - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-6600K+%40+3.50GHz and provides a better value.  Still, with this CPU you would also have to upgrade your motherboard as your socket is 1155 and the i5 6600K has the 1151 socket.

I wish I could give you better advice.  Our Hardware Forum has experts who can also advise the best options to get.

Best regards,

Jim

Hmm, since I ALSO need a new motherboard, the whole thing starts to get a bit expencive for me.. 

I am happy about my FPS, and how p3d runs,It's just the CTDs. Would a new processor effect the crash, or should I just try to do it withing tweaks?

Thanks,

//Ivar

Hmm, since I ALSO need a new motherboard, the whole thing starts to get a bit expencive for me.. 

I am happy about my FPS, and how p3d runs,It's just the CTDs. Would a new processor effect the crash, or should I just try to do it withing tweaks?

Thanks,

//Ivar

I looked at your settings and your autogen is high.  Why do you need so much autogen?  You're flying....  Autogen can be hard on resources depending on where you are flying.  Shadows on terrain is a fps killer.  I have mine off.  I might turn it on for special occasions.  HDR is a fps killer.  Turn it off.

Again, AVSIM has a guide for P3D settings as recommended by our resident expert, Rob Ainscough.  I recommend you check it out.

A new CPU may improve performance a little.  It is not going to stop crashes or freezes.  I'm not the guru on computer systems or P3D settings.  Rob and many others are the experts.  Check out our Hardware Forum in regards to CPU's and GPU's.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I looked at your settings and your autogen is high.  Why do you need so much autogen?  You're flying....  Autogen can be hard on resources depending on where you are flying.  Shadows on terrain is a fps killer.  I have mine off.  I might turn it on for special occasions.  HDR is a fps killer.  Turn it off.

Again, AVSIM has a guide for P3D settings as recommended by our resident expert, Rob Ainscough.  I recommend you check it out.

A new CPU may improve performance a little.  It is not going to stop crashes or freezes.  I'm not the guru on computer systems or P3D settings.  Rob and many others are the experts.  Check out our Hardware Forum in regards to CPU's and GPU's.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks for that, I will slide down the autogen, but how are HDR killing FPS?

I really like some saturation.. Tell me how much it kills my FPS and I'll turn it off. 

Ok, now I might stop yelling on you about my "problems", I'll contact Rob and I will go through most AVSIM threads about tweaking.

Anyways, thank you so much for your help, it means alot, I will be back soon if I still haven't fixed the crashes..

//Ivar

Thanks for that, I will slide down the autogen, but how are HDR killing FPS?

As I stated above, I'm not the expert here.  Do not listen to me!! :smile:  See page 26 of Rob's AVSIM P3D Guide.  It provides suggestions for settings for low end systems and high end systems.  It also shows you the settings that have the most impact on FPS and the most impart on VAS.  HDR is not listed there at all!  At least I got it right regarding the shadows and autogen.  A link to the guide is in my signature.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

This may have nothing to do with your problem, but recently I started to get freezes in FSX at any time of a flight.  Some years ago I experienced a similar problem and found that removing all RAM strips from my PC and then replacing them in a different order did the trick.  I have 12 GB RAM in my PC (6 X 2GB strips)  I simply put number one in socket 6 and so on. (i.e. in a totally different order/position).  I did read in the CTD guide that this can be an issue, and has worked for me.

No harm giving it a go!

This may have nothing to do with your problem, but recently I started to get freezes in FSX at any time of a flight.  Some years ago I experienced a similar problem and found that removing all RAM strips from my PC and then replacing them in a different order did the trick.  I have 12 GB RAM in my PC (6 X 2GB strips)  I simply put number one in socket 6 and so on. (i.e. in a totally different order/position).  I did read in the CTD guide that this can be an issue, and has worked for me.

No harm giving it a go!

That sounds very interesting..

I have recently replaced my 1 4GB RAM to 2 4GB RAMS..

I'll do it and see if it works.

Cheers.

No harm giving it a go!

I've replaced the RAM:s, and I got to fly a full flight, FINALLY!

I will fly 1 or 2 more flights, just to confirm this was working, or if I was just lucky to have a non CTD flight.

Cheers!

Hi Ivar, let's hope it has done the trick!

I can confirm that this worked, I can finally start my Virtual Airline career!

If i could, I would invite you for a dinner with unlimited greek food for 12 hours non-stop, plus a free copy of Abacus A380!

I'm just so happy that this trick worked, thank you a million times for suggesting that trick :D

Cheers :D

//Ivar

Hi Ivar, what can I say; glad to be of service, and hope all 'stays well'

Regards,

Steven

Not sure if I'm reading this right. Ivar, did you replace the RAM with a new set or just swap the current ones around? Sometimes simply reseating them in their sockets can cure a problem due to a poor connection for example, but would not require them to be swapped around. Swapping them around helps locate a faulty chip, but it's not a trick to cure a memory fault unless the act of reseating helped a dodgy connector as I said. You could still have the problem, just reorganised it. For example, I've a machine here had 16Gb (4x4Gb) now it's only got 8Gb (2x4Gb) after having had to remove a pair since one started causing a problem. If I left in that pair the machine would crash at some stage.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com