Sign in to follow this  
soloraj

Error message to Exit Prepar3d on Load Scenario

When I try to load a scenario from the defaut scenario setup page, a dialogbox pops up with the message "Are you sure you want to exit Prepar3d?" with the options Yes or No.  If I select No, the default flight loads but the scenario setup windows remains on top.

I'm running Preapr3d 3.3.5 with Nivdia 372.70 drivers.  I have only installed FSUIPC, Orbx scenery, ASN and the PMDG 737NGX.

I have deleted Prepar3d.cfg and the shader cache but that has not helped.  Has anyone seen this before or know what could be the cause of the problem?

Thanks,

Raj

Everything in your dll.xml and exe.xml are loaded at startup.  Perhaps one of the modules is not loading properly.  Move your dll.xml and exe.xml to a temporary folder and try the startup again.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

I moved the two files to my desktop and started the sim, unfortunately the problem persists.

As a side note - when I started the default flight, and not loading any scenariors, P3D did not recreate the two xml files; is that normal behaviour?

Regards,

Raj

As a side note - when I started the default flight, and not loading any scenariors, P3D did not recreate the two xml files; is that normal behaviour?

The dll.xml and exe.xml do not exist in default installations of FSX or P3D.  They are used by add-on developers to load their modules.  So, those files are never rebuilt.  P3D has two locations for the dll.xml.  One is in the AppData/Username/Roaming/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D folder and one is in the C:\ProgramData/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3d folder.  There are two as not every add-on developer is using the new location (in the C:\Program Data folder). 

If everything loaded correctly at startup via the dll.xml, then you should be able to get to the setup screen and click on Load and then the Scenario.  You stated you rebuilt your P3D.cfg so that should eliminate any attempts by the config to load your sim to other than the default scenario.

In the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 10, there is a section called How to Fix Most Freezes/Crashes and explains some of what I just said (it lacks the new location of the dll.xml and exe.xml though - will be updated).  One of the things suggested on page 16 of the guide is to run Process Monitor.  This utility, when configured as shown in the guide, will show you everything that is loading at startup and possibly show you what was loading when you were sent back to the desktop.

The link to the AVSIM CTD Guide is in my signature.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Thanks for the advice and for the CTD Guide link.  I now think that the problem may be due to Windows Defender incorrectly dedecting a trojan and quarantining a number of items.  The trojan detected is is Rundas!plock, a quick Google search shows that it has been reported by other users as well after installing Preapr3d 3.3.5.

This is in the Windows Defender log file:

Category: Trojan
Description: This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker.
Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Items: 
file:C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{27862a40-458c-4063-be58-10baf3161056}\Setup.exe
uninstall:HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\UNINSTALL\{27862a40-458c-4063-be58-10baf3161056}
runonce:HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUNONCE\\{27862a40-458c-4063-be58-10baf3161056}
regkey:HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUNONCE\\{27862a40-458c-4063-be58-10baf3161056}
regkey:HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\UNINSTALL\{27862a40-458c-4063-be58-10baf3161056}

I disabled realtime protection and installed Preapr3d again.  Unfortunately the moment I enabled Defender it discovered the trojan, incorrectly, and again quarantined the items.  I'm not sure how to prevent the behaviour off hand, so I'm going to have to do some research.

Regards,
Raj

It seems the problem is a controls mapping file that I created.  The file somehow become corrupt and cause load and save scenario to go wonky.  I was able to recreate the error by load the maping file, so I'm sure that was the cause.

3 solid days that took me!

Glad you found the problem.  This is why we suggest in the AVSIM CTD Guide to investigate "the scene of the crime" yourself or as much as you can accomplish based on your technical expertise.  Moving the dll.xml, exe.xml, scenery.cfg and p3d.cfg usually fixes most problems as it pretty much brings your P3D back to the default (or when it was working).  The solution you found would have been impossible for us to diagnose.  In any case, I'm happy you got it fixed and hope you have an error free P3D in the future.  Thanks for letting us know you got it fixed and the solution.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I'm dealing with the same issue. Though I'm unaware of any mapping files I created. Do you mean key mapping files?

On 9/15/2016 at 8:39 AM, soloraj said:

It seems the problem is a controls mapping file that I created.  The file somehow become corrupt and cause load and save scenario to go wonky.  I was able to recreate the error by load the maping file, so I'm sure that was the cause.

3 solid days that took me!

Same issue I'm having here, how did you fix it though?

Regards,

C Schaffhausen

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg