Sign in to follow this  

Attitude Indicator Calibration - possible?

Good Evening chaps.

Got an odd one here.

I've recently bought a payware A/C - Alabeo DA-42 Twin Star. Version 2 seems to have sorted everything out with this excellent little twin except below.

I'm really pleased with it and everything is pretty well modelled and as for it's looks, well! Amazing.

There's one glitch with it that I'm finding truly annoying and it is this;

In level flight the Garmin G1000 is showing about 3 degrees nose down pitch. Wings are level and the standby Attitude Indicator is reading correct. Please see pics (You can see we're at 6000 ft at cruise speed of 134 KIAS - in other words - level flight).

I've tried a few flights/ different weather/ loadings/ pax, etc - and it's always the same 3 degrees nose down. Real World specs for the Diamond Twin Star preclude this as correct modelling for the sim.

Is there a small adjustment to a .cfg file I can make to correct this? Or is there something more straightforward I can do.

Garmin.jpg

Standby.jpg

Any ideas very gratefully received.

The aircraft.cfg file should have a value for static pitch -- how does this value compare to what the G1000 shows when the a/c is sitting on level ground?  Maybe the standby altimeter needs to be adjusted?

I have not seen anything on how to adjust the pitch reading on a G1000 -- interesting question. What did Alabeo say about this issue?

Al

The aircraft.cfg file should have a value for static pitch -- how does this value compare to what the G1000 shows when the a/c is sitting on level ground?  Maybe the standby altimeter needs to be adjusted?

I have not seen anything on how to adjust the pitch reading on a G1000 -- interesting question. What did Alabeo say about this issue?

Al

Thanks for the reply Ark,

The Garmin reads the same (as cruise in pics above) nose down attitude on the ground as well.

Adjustment knob of the Stand By Attitude Indicator gauge (second pic) unfortunately does not adjust the Garmin.

I know for a fact these Twin Stars read level on the Garmin on the ground and at the cruise speed I'm at in pic 1.

Alabeo so far have been - shall we say - "hesitant" in responding to my support requests...

Adjustment knob of the Stand By Attitude Indicator gauge (second pic) unfortunately does not adjust the Garmin.

What I meant here was maybe you could adjust the stand-by attitude indicator to match the G1000 attitude indicator if by chance the stand-by attitude indicator was wrong and it was the G1000 attitude indicator that was correct, but apparently that's not the case.

Since Alabeo is unresponsive, some 'last resort' things to try might be:

- change the static pitch value in the aircraft.cfg file to see if perhaps the G1000 code is making use of this value somehow.

- use an air file editor (like AirEd) to see if you can find a pitch parameter in the air file that impacts the problem

- if there is a G1000 ini file, or a G1000 XML file (perhaps inside a cab file), look for a pitch parameter using a text editor like notepad

- try to confirm if other Alabeo DA-42 users are seeing the same attitude indicator error, and if not, redownload and reinstall the DA-42 (or just go ahead and try a reinstall).

I'm out of ideas, good luck,

Al

Jim,

I happened to find the Alabeo DA-42 pic below in another thread (dealing with integration of the GTN750 GPS into existing VCs). It also seems to show a significant difference between the G1000 attitude indicator and the backup attitude indicator, which suggests the problem is not just with your installation (unless the backup attitude indicator has not been adjusted correctly, if it is adjustable).  Just a data point.

Al

bde6e059bc.JPG