Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

P3D upgrade CPU from 4930k 4.4 OC'd hex core to 6700k 4.2 turbo or wait for 7700k kaby lake?

My i7-4930k cpu may be dying.. its overclocked from 3.4 to 4.4 and has been forever.. i used to hit 70C for a max P3D temperature.. now im at 85C.. 

That said, i've been eyeing a replacement, preferably something i wont need to overclock at at least get the same performance.  I've compared HT on and off with my cpu and never saw a big change, so HT is on as well.  This PC is also a rendering/gaming/VR machine (oculus rift, flyinside).. it has the 1080 ftw, upgraded from a 980ti (so far no real P3D change in performance though).

For comparibles passmark cpumark wise:

i7-4930k 4.4ghz 15,800

i7-6700k 4.0ghz/4.2 turbo 10,900 

i7-6830k 3.6/3.8 14,091

i7-7700k 4.2-4.5k turbo?  ??

If I were to base it purely on tubo single/core speed, i'd have to say grab a 6700 now or maybe wait on Kaby lake?  I'm not convinced clock speed is king.. i've seen some on here saying they saw a perceivable difference in texture loading and smoothness, having those extra cores

Wondering if anyone ever went from a 4930k or other hex core to a faster core speed CPU and noted the change if any.. holding all settings etc the same in both tests?  I'd be real curious 

Thanks in advance

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

The chief advantage to going to the 6700K is you get DDR4 RAM, the disadvantage is you have to buy a mobo and memory.

I went from a 4790K to the 6700K for the advantage.  It runs cool at 4.7GHz on liquid and RAM is 3.3GHz, it's not all on the CPU since memory is a key player as well.

Dan Downs KCRP

The chief advantage to going to the 6700K is you get DDR4 RAM, the disadvantage is you have to buy a mobo and memory.

I went from a 4790K to the 6700K for the advantage.  It runs cool at 4.7GHz on liquid and RAM is 3.3GHz, it's not all on the CPU since memory is a key player as well.

Yeah i've tested going even from 1600mhz to 2400mhz on my dd3, I saw a slight boost.. i forget exactly, maybe 3-4 fps difference.

Yours was a one to one changeover if you ignore the ram.. i guess the only way to tell how a hex to quad changeover would be, would be to try it.  Price for a changeover might be $500 right now.  Strangely my old board is fetching good coin used though.

Which motherboard/ram combo did you end up buying to achieve that ram speed?  I've considered the z710-A or the tuf sabertooth.. appears the -A has less usb but better overclock on the RAM portion.  I probably wouldnt overclock this time around, the CPU, but maybe 4.2-4.3 on air cooling on my existing NH-U14S which i think works.

My luck i make the change and in 2 months the 7700 comes out and clocks in much better :D  (when the 6700k came out it was $419, its now $330 a year later, i guess i'd expect the 7700k to ring in around $430 to start, maybe, if it were true, making this change about $100-$120 more to wait, time will tell).

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I wouldn't expect much improvement in terms of IPC from Skylake to Kaby. It sounds like Intel has merely optimized the layout and pathways of some of the circuitry and increased the stock clock speeds.

Also, I'd hate to dissuade you from happily upgrading hardware (one of my favorite activities) but that rise in temps you're experiencing with your 4930k could be due to something fairly pedestrian. You may have some dust build up on or around the heatsink or radiator, your thermal paste could have hardened and no longer be transferring heat efficiently, etc. If you want to upgrade, enjoy, but if you don't think you should have to or don't truly feel like you have the money, then there may be some good news in store for you.

Now, on the other hand, if you were finding that it increasingly takes more and more voltage to be stable at the same clock speed, that would be a much greater indicator that the chip has degraded...

Which motherboard/ram combo did you end up buying to achieve that ram speed?

ASRock Z170 OC Formula and G.Skill TridentZ RAM.  Liquid cooler is the Corsair H115i.  The RAM will clock stock to 3400 MHz, I just haven't pushed it after settling in on my current configuration.

Dan Downs KCRP

I wouldn't expect much improvement in terms of IPC from Skylake to Kaby. It sounds like Intel has merely optimized the layout and pathways of some of the circuitry and increased the stock clock speeds.

Also, I'd hate to dissuade you from happily upgrading hardware (one of my favorite activities) but that rise in temps you're experiencing with your 4930k could be due to something fairly pedestrian. You may have some dust build up on or around the heatsink or radiator, your thermal paste could have hardened and no longer be transferring heat efficiently, etc. If you want to upgrade, enjoy, but if you don't think you should have to or don't truly feel like you have the money, then there may be some good news in store for you.

Now, on the other hand, if you were finding that it increasingly takes more and more voltage to be stable at the same clock speed, that would be a much greater indicator that the chip has degraded...

I did some checking and it sounds like 2-3% might be the benefit of Kaby, so i guess not worth waiting either.  I think the increase in temp might have been simply from having to increase my vcore to 1.25 from 1.22, something i totally forgot or dust yeah :)  The only reason i did increase the voltage was due to the fact if i tried to sleep the board, it would often not work or just reset.. found that if i increased the vcore slightly (also due to ram being 2400mhz), this seemed to help (so far).

I'm still leaning towards the upgrade, mostly for fun.. and net cost it might not be that much at all after digging further.

ASRock Z170 OC Formula and G.Skill TridentZ RAM.  Liquid cooler is the Corsair H115i.  The RAM will clock stock to 3400 MHz, I just haven't pushed it after settling in on my current configuration.

i just picked up these from newegg.. plus the asus z170-a .. hopefully i can achieve similar http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231929

So being the crazy upgrader and having brainstormed further, i've decided the following...

I'm going to lower my i7-4930k hex to 4.2 ghz and redo some of my baselines.. take some notes.. 

Then... i've ordered the following:

i7-6700k

NH-14D (instead of my other noctua  NH-U14S cooler, this one should keep temps even better).  Saw reviews of some hitting 4.6 or 4.7ghz and 1.35 volts on this 14D with load of 60C..

Asus z170-A motherboard

Gskill Trident Z 16GB (16 cas 1.35v) 3200mhz (hoping i can hit 1.35v and 3200 on the board)

Ill do the same 4.2ghz (turbo) tests and see how the fps match up.  Then ill try for a modest overclock for starters and if i can be stable at 1.35v / 75C or less then ill go for that as well.  Hopefully no delidding will be needed and the thermal paste that comes with the NH-14D is sufficient.

This should be a good rig for a few years to come, without waiting.

So being the crazy upgrader and having brainstormed further, i've decided the following...

Sounds like a plan. Bought a 6700K a week ago and finally finished up my OC yesterday at 4.7Ghz @ 1.426v. High 60s / low 70s C under load with an ambient temp of 25-26*C. I bought a Corsair H55 quiet edition a while ago and threw away the stock fan and replaced it with two Cougars in push-pull. Works pretty well.

Sounds like a plan. Bought a 6700K a week ago and finally finished up my OC yesterday at 4.7Ghz @ 1.426v. High 60s / low 70s C under load with an ambient temp of 25-26*C. I bought a Corsair H55 quiet edition a while ago and threw away the stock fan and replaced it with two Cougars in push-pull. Works pretty well.

What GPU are you pairing with that.. on air etc?  Are you worried about the volts being 1.426?  Temps sound good.. but i've always read, for longevity, 1.35v / 75C ideally max.. maybe not, i dunno?

The Asus Z170-A marks everything above 1.4V as "yellow", which in my mind should be ok with the right cooling. But I personally do not cross the 1.4V.

Hi Dan,

noticed you previously  had the same cpu   ( 4790K) and gpu  , 980TI as i have right now ,  i m  thinking  about upgrading to a 6700K too, is there any improvement with the 6700k ,

Still keeping the trigger pulled on the 6700k,

but in digging more i found that the stock core speed of the i7-7700 is likely to be 4.2 and the turbo 4.5 based on some leaks.. this may translate into an overclock something in the range of 5.0-5.2 I would suspect.. whereas with the 6700k its sounds as if ill be looking at about 4.6 to 4.7 comfortably.. given past benchmarking i think this comes in around 4fps better with the 7700k.. but still early to tell.  Read also that possibly current z170 boards like the asus z170-a might work with the new chip.

In the meantime, either way.. i'm looking into trying water cooling again.. so i'm giving this watercooler a try.. with my issues of overheating gpu at 83C, combined with a hot CPU, it seems that it might be a good idea to water cool at least one of the two.. i assumed it was easier to outfit the cpu with a water cooler than the 1080 card.

Giving this guy a try (Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2).. hoping i dont get a bad one with leaks.. back in the day i tried a 100 series corsair.. didnt work as well as air, but i'm hoping i can put the radiator on the outside of the case.. there by removing the heat source from the pc and leaving only the video card as needing cooled.

Hi Dan,

noticed you previously  had the same cpu   ( 4790K) and gpu  , 980TI as i have right now ,  i m  thinking  about upgrading to a 6700K too, is there any improvement with the 6700k ,

My 4790K was air cooled and only OC to 4.4 GHz so the upgrade to 6700K and DDR4 made a measurable difference with P3D. Because I wanted liquid cooling, I bought a new case and all that goes with it and I have both the 4790K and 6700K sitting side by side now.  Navigraph Charts and PFPX display on the older rig while flying on my 6700K. This means I can visit the forums and browse wikipedia during boring stages of flight.

Dan Downs KCRP

My 4790K was air cooled and only OC to 4.4 GHz so the upgrade to 6700K and DDR4 made a measurable difference with P3D. Because I wanted liquid cooling, I bought a new case and all that goes with it and I have both the 4790K and 6700K sitting side by side now. Navigraph Charts and PFPX display on the older rig while flying on my 6700K. This means I can visit the forums and browse wikipedia during boring stages of flight.

Which cooler n case did u end up with been looking at the thermaltake v31 n v51 but both may have issues with the 240mm radiator on top. Seems the ram might make the top not possible with the v31 and top with v51 may mean losing the front cages but I doubt it. Leaning towards getting the v51 since my old thermaltake won't fit

Which cooler n case did u end up with been looking at the thermaltake v31 n v51 but both may have issues with the 240mm radiator on top. Seems the ram might make the top not possible with the v31 and top with v51 may mean losing the front cages

Corsair Obsidian 450D, I had room for a 280mm cooler by loosing only the top drive slot.  I figured a Corsair case should work with the corsair cooler and worked out after a minor effort. My M-Disc optical fit in the second slot no problem. The case is actually quieter than the older Antec that houses my 4790K.

Dan Downs KCRP