Sign in to follow this  
ZKOKQ

TopCat 2,74 Now Out Of Beta

Dan assumption is a bad thing. I fly the 200 and 777F. I didn't say in the sim

Darren - context is key.

This is a sim site. Everyone's first assumption - reasonably - is going to be related to the sim. Moreover, the product that is the topic of this thread is a sim tool. It has no relevance to real world flying, if that's what you were alluding to.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,

Appreciate it's a sim site.

My initial reply was a cheeky dig at Julian for having a pop at the awesome 200 although he was obviously talking in the context of Topcat.

Dan then replied stating the obvious.

Apologies if anyone got the wrong idea.

Back on topic though it's a shame the 300 wasn't included. 

Back on topic though it's a shame the 300 wasn't included.

Agree..., would like to see the B77W and the B736.  I am using TOPER for these variants and although it misses the obstacle and engine out criteria it does provide a derate.

Dan Downs KCRP

Frustrating waiting to see the B77W on PFPX and TOPCAT

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I fly the PMDG B77F almost exclusively.  Using AS16, PFPX calculates the trip data, Topcat loads it and provides the derate and flaps for the Runway.  Topcat then uploads the PFPX data to the sim.  The fuel consumption and trip time are well within 5 percent and I haven't gone off the end of any runways.  What more could I want?  :smile:

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

My initial reply was a cheeky dig at Julian for having a pop at the awesome 200 although he was obviously talking in the context of Topcat.

Yep, shoot the messenger lol

I believe those were the only significant changes.

Yes, but look at the date of the readme ? -200 added........no mention of the NOAA change. Either the readme is wrong or badly written. I go by that, as I am not privy to inside workings at Flightsimsoft.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I've never really been impressed with the 777 data for TOPCAT. I quit using the takeoff and landing calculations and started using TOPER for takeoffs and ballparking it on landings. The 737 and MD11 data seems pretty good to me but the 777 data is kind of garbage, IMO.

Yes, but look at the date of the readme ? -200 added........no mention of the NOAA change. Either the readme is wrong or badly written. I go by that, as I am not privy to inside workings at Flightsimsoft.

August 3, 2016 doesn't seem too bad. See post #8 of this thread - http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/114804-noaa-metar-service-terminated/.

I've never really been impressed with the 777 data for TOPCAT.

I agree. On more than several occasions TOPCAT had provided assumed temperatures and derates that will not produce V Speeds in the T7 FMC.

The reason TOPCAT may not provide a solution when either the FMS or TOPER will is because TOPCAT includes obstruction clearance criteria.  Sometimes you just cannot takeoff with a given weight and OAT on a given runway due to obstruction clearance in the event of engine failure.

Dan Downs KCRP

The reason TOPCAT may not provide a solution when either the FMS or TOPER will is because TOPCAT includes obstruction clearance criteria.  Sometimes you just cannot takeoff with a given weight and OAT on a given runway due to obstruction clearance in the event of engine failure.

Dan

You got it reversed. TOPCAT provides the solution - assumed temperature and derates. Put the temperature and derates in the FMC and the message is V-Speeds Unavailable.

Put the temperature and derates in the FMC and the message is V-Speeds Unavailable.

Interesting, I've only run into the opposite where performance limitation stops TOPCAT but I get a solution in  TOPER or FMS. Bottom line is we all would like to have a better takeoff and landing calculator, which is not going to happen anytime soon.

Dan Downs KCRP

In my experience, TOPER is bad at providing a takeoff at high gross weights and high temperatures - despite long runways - which is why I made my own Excel calculator for the -300ER!  It still only does balanced field calculations though.

TOPCAT gives a far more realistic and day-to-day calculation than anything else - it uses unbalanced field calculations and takes obstacles into account properly etc.  Would love to see it updated for -300ER (and A320 IAE ;)

Cheers,

You got it reversed. TOPCAT provides the solution - assumed temperature and derates. Put the temperature and derates in the FMC and the message is V-Speeds Unavailable

I've never had any problems with the Top Cat data when put in the PMDG B777 FMC.  Like I said earlier, PFPX calculates the fuel and payload and transfers it to Top Cat.  Then Top Cat transfers the load to the PMDG B777 and I manually load the fuel in the FMC.  I put the derate temp and flaps in manually into the FMC.  The only difference I've seen is the CG and I ust use the FMC trim setting.  I've flown two trips this week totaling almost 20 hours, the ete was off 5 minutes total, and the fuel burn was off 5,000 and 3,000 pounds.  And as I've said the data is close enough I haven't run off the end of any runways and or got into my alternate reserve.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

You can always buy a subscription to this service...

https://www.aerodata.aero/Official/

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity