Sign in to follow this  
rofler

Looking for Shared Cockpit partner - Aerosoft A320 - P3D V3.3

Hello guys,

as the topic already describes, I am looking for someone to fly with on the Aerosoft Airbus A320.

Before we start, some stuff about myself:

• Name: Sergej
  • Nationality: Ger
  • Availability: Mostly on weekends, rarely during the week
  • Experience: Started with FSX back in 2000-something. I was using the PMDG 737 a lot and recently switched to the Airbus in preparation for the FS Labs P3D-Version. Aviation experienced, Multi-Cockpit-Procedures is not a new topic for me, however I have no experience in flying Shared Cockpit. Oh and “yes”, I know how to program the FMC :-P
  • Simulator: P3D V3.3

What I am looking for:

• An open-minded simmer, who is willing to learn as much as I do. Frankly speaking, I don’t want to have one who constantly tells you how good he/she knows aviation and all procedures. I am really willing to learn but that “teacher-student” atmosphere is nothing really for me. The more you can learn from each other in a “sharing”-way the better J
  • As a flight starts with preparing the flight, to include route, weather, payload, fuel, etc., I would love to do that by myself beforehand or plan the flight together with the partner. There are a lot of desktop-sharing programs out there so there should not be any problems.
  • After the planning stage, it would be great (if time allows) to perform two legs (e.g. FRA-MUC-FRA).
  • As soon as we get confident with each other and the procedures which comes along shared cockpit, I would love to fly online on Vatsim or IVAO.

Teamspeak-Server is available but we can use whatever you prefer!

So, I am really looking forward to some interested people and I am fully open for ideas or suggestions!

Thanks and talk to you soon!

Sergej

Sure! Sounds great to me but as i have learned, I need to go through some basic guides first. If you are in the same situation, we could meet on skype/ teamspeak and go through the guides together.

I am back home on Friday evening at 18:00 CEST. If you are up for a session, please send me a personal message and I'll forward you the teamspeak details.

Thanks again and I am really looking forward to it!

Hello all,

this is just to give you a feedback on the experience we had during our CFD session. On one hand I would like to take this opportunity to tell you about my personal view on that and on the other hand I would like to give you some impressions and suggestions (you don’t have to follow them naturally) on how to overcome certain situations.

1. Personal experience flying CTD

It was/ is a blast! You can’t imagine what difference it makes to fly in an aircraft, designed for two, in a more or less realistic environment. Yes, sure – We have a great product with Fs2Crew and I don’t want to miss this addon in future! But flying with a real person, is just something different you can’t describe. Try it yourself! You really won’t regret any minute!

1. Situation

As you can see from the topics above, I had the opportunity to meet this great person to fly CTD with. He has a lot of background knowledge and I could learn a lot flying with him, both in a Multi Crew Environment and as a personal experience. He was the PNF and I was the PF on all our tries (which I will explain later).

1. Initial set-up

My partner is using FSX and I am using P3D V3.3. So there are no problems connecting to each other. We were using the Aerosoft Airbus.

1. Set-up our PCs

We followed the awesome guides provided by Dave (http://www.avsim.com/topic/469923-shared-cockpit-connected-flight-deck-guides/) and we strictly followed each step to set-up the port forwarding. Unfortunately we were not able to set it up properly and our ports were closed each time we tried. Yes, we followed STRICTLY this guide and opened the ports correctly, unfortunately without success.

So we switched back to Hamachi and opened a flying network. This worked out nearly perfectly but we couldn’t ping each other due to the Windows 10 firewall settings. Disabling the Windows Firewall for Hamachi did the trick and we were able to ping each other.

We jumped into the Aircraft and loaded up a flight located in UMMS (Minsk, Belarus). They have an awesome freeware scenery and the airport is not crowded. We set up the exact same aircraft, location (Gate 14), time and day as well as ASN Real Weather and clicked “Connection On”. YES! It worked! We flicked switches and it seemed that everything worked out perfectly (after we allowed Hamachi to go through the firewall). GSX Pushback works and weather synced as well. But we wanted more!

1. Set-up online flying

As you can imagine, we wanted more than just offline flying. What is the PNF flying supposed to do all the time?! :P

We downloaded IvAi and I was the master and he was the slave. In IvAi we toggled “Start” and in IvAp we entered, where the server is entered, my Hamachi IP4 Address. He connected as a slave with an “A” after his callsign and everything was good to go.

1. Flying online

Well… That was a bit tricky. As we both had experience in flying offline, solo (or with Fs2Crew), the flows were not nearly as precise as they needed to be. We both felt like total noobs in that matter… Every step was done twice or three times, every switch was controlled to be in the place it should be and so on. Communication with the Tower was great after lowering the volume of Ts2 a bit. So quite stressful, even we had split our work!

1. Problems

We encountered several problems during our maiden flight from EDDF to LTBA. After about 200nm inflight his FSX accelerated and froze for about 10 seconds. As a result we were out of sync. To overcome this issue we disconnected from IVAO, paused the simulators, went to maps and he entered the position of my aircraft (N-E Position, Alt, Course, etc.) so we could find ourselves on the exact same spot. After reloading his FSX, we went ahead and connected each other in CFD. Switch flicking test passed! So we connected to IVAO again and preceded our flight without further events.

1. Challenges

During the approach to LTBA, the tower announced that we should change the RWY from 05 to 23. As we were already on 4000ft at 220knt, this was quite late. We have not fully set-up for the landing and I decided to follow the instructions, maintain HDG and SPD and we figured out a different STAR into 23. We had some discussions going on before that – what I want to say is: It is sometimes difficult to find a common solution but he reacted perfectly: “Okay, I will program the MCDU and you will fly the aircraft”. Again… WHAT A BLAST!

1. Our next steps and goals

As it was for both of us a major experience, we naturally want to learn more about flying together. We want to learn the exact flows, procedures and actions to be made by both the PF and PNF. We want to improve our communication and get faster and more precise in our actions inside the cockpit.

1. Conclusion

Guys, you have to try that out. It is simply great if you can share your experience, learn something new and get that non-plus-ultra experience flying together. We are both eager to learn and we are really looking forward to several successful and not-so-successful flights were we are getting better and better.

If anyone has questions regarding CFD, please do not hesitate to contact us!

Thanks again, montrama for your time and great effort! You are a really nice guy to fly with! :)

Cheers,

rofler

Hi I have 7 years of flight experience and have done CFD before and would like to do it again.

email me on aryan.khanna2002@gmail.com

aryanvatsimva@gmail.com

Kind Regards

Aryan