Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Duplicated airfield objects (how to remove them?)

I've added some freeware airports to upgrade/update the stock FSX ones, usually just AFCADS with the latest dates I can find to try and ensure the airfield looks like it should. Sometimes I get duplicate ILS shacks (or even a duplicate control tower!). I place any add-on airport in the Addon Scenery folder within its own sub folder (eg. EGLL, containing scenery and texture sub-folders), making sure it's above all the other usual suspects (landclasses, meshes etc.).

2016-9-9_19-15-8-578_zpsq2zhsp5o.png

How do I go about removing one of them at least? Some kind of airport editor? Freeware or payware?

Thank you.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Polite bump.

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

It sounds like you may have more than one addon for the airport, which can cause problems.

Removing objects can be done with Airport Design Editor, usually.

http://www.scruffyduck.org/airport-design-editor/4584106799

ADE requires an SDK installation.

Success depends on what is causing the dupes to begin with. Are they the defaults?

Can you give an example of an addon you are having problems with?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Hi Joe,

It's the defaults causing the dupes I believe.

One example: I've installed a freeware update for MYNN (Nassau, Bahamas), found in the AVSIM library :- fsx_mynn.zip

they usually take the form of updated afcads - no fancy scenery, just bgl files.

It happens with most of them AFAIK.

... As I was finding an example, a thought struck me. Way back one of the first things I installed was the HD airport graphics add on by Zinertek. I bet that's created ILS shacks etc. which the defaults don't have! Could that be the issue?

If it is would ADE remove those without me having to trash the HD graphics add-on?

Mark Robinson

The Zinertek addon is not the cause, it is textures only and does not place any new objects.

I downloaded and tested that file and everything looks OK for me, which points to either you having a conflicting addon somewhere or maybe you installed this addon incorrectly.

The readme has you place the OBJ file in the Scenery/GLOBAL/Scenery folder of FSX. I do not like this method and prefer to keep all the files for one airport in one folder, if I can.

You can try moving that file to wherever you placed the other files.

Do you have any addon AI programs? They sometimes include airport files that might conflict with other addons.

One last thing, look in your FSX folder for a folder named DLC. If it is there, poke around in there for any conflicting files.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the tip. I do create separate airport folders within the Addon Scenery folder - example MYNN. I didn't realise that you don't have to put the obj file in the global scenery area - I should be able to leave it in MYNN/scenery for instance, correct?

I don't have any addon AI programs, apart from the Global AI SHIPS - supertankers and ferries tend not to have ILS shacks on them ;)

The only DLC I appear to have is the one for the HD airport graphics.

I've since downloaded and installed ADE 1.70 complete with it's database footprint. I've also obtained the files from the SDK so it will work properly (FSX:SE doesn't ship with shp2vec and bglcomp).

I'll have a play with it.

EDIT - perhaps it's another freeware airport. I'll see. Simple airport Scanner doesn't report anything untoward either.

Cheers!

Mark Robinson

Another one is my "local" EGCC - Manchester, England. Doubled up shacks and transmitters.

I've opened the airport from BGL into ADE 1.7  i.e. not the stock airport. I note at the end of the runway there are a couple of exclusion boxes located where the old transmitter and shack would be & note that there is a new shack on the other side of the runway (the new transmitter is almost exactly on the exclusion box). The exclusion boxes are 6m by 7m which should certainly be enough to mask the old objects surely?

I've not read the manual yet! 

Mark Robinson