Sign in to follow this  
richie894

Does anyone do alternative sims to flying?

Thinking about giving Euro Truck Simulator 2 a try to create some variety from tanking around the skies in a jet. Does anyone else sim in other modes of transport? I.e. American Truck Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator, Farm Simulator, City Skylines, Fernbus etc? They all seem so cheap compared to the cost of flight sims and the numerous add-ons needed to support flying.

Thinking about giving Euro Truck Simulator 2 a try to create some variety from tanking around the skies in a jet. Does anyone else sim in other modes of transport? I.e. American Truck Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator, Farm Simulator, City Skylines, Fernbus etc? They all seem so cheap compared to the cost of flight sims and the numerous add-ons needed to support flying.

If I'm taking a break from flight sim then it tends to be games, don't think Elite Dangerous counts as a Sim......

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

American Truck Simulator is good, another good driving sim is omsi2.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

when I was a kid, I played Microsoft train simulator. Looking at the DTG train sims, I think it would be interesting to see what's it's like now.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

The graphics look pretty good on the train sims. But personally for me they seem a little restricted. You can only stop at stations on your scenario. As it is a train, you obviously can not steer or go on your own way.

The graphics look pretty good on the train sims. But personally for me they seem a little restricted. You can only stop at stations on your scenario. As it is a train, you obviously can not steer or go on your own way.

i do believe there are free-driving modes and custom scenarios in dovetail's train offerings.

as you suggest, though, it's a train, it basically goes from point a to b haha, it is somewhat restricted by its nature.

i find driving the train sim to be a very zen like and peaceful experience, especially with some of the easier scenarios that model a normal run. it can also get a little boring sometimes. probably not everyone's cup of tea.

the 2017 release actually just came out today, i'm gonna try it out later this evening. i'm not sure what they've changed.. maybe not a lot since i understand they have a new sim, not an update, coming in another 4-6 months or something like that

cheers

-andy crosby

Truck Sim, Farm Sim and Empire Total War are my main alternatives to Flight Sim

Matthew Kane

Grand Theft Auto 5. That sims just about everything... even things I can't (or shouldn't) talk about in public.

• Upvote 2

There are no alternative sims!! Flying rocks!!

:p0503:  :p0504:  :t4013:  :t4020:  :t4012: 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I have tried ETS and ATS. I've also tried TS. I loved them all for about a month then became completely bored. They are amusing, but don't hold my interest.

Flightsim always reinvents itself and makes the experience more and more real every few months.

I'd love to give GTA5 a go.

I'm playing Fernbus Simulator and even if it has some bugs and needs some fixes, it's a good alternative to flight simulation. But I love buses, so... :smile: 

DTG Train sim is a total DLC oriented simulator, used to play but there's too much to pay to play it good.

MSI Tomahawk B550, Ryzen 5800X3D, Gigabyte RTX 4070 Gaming OC, LG Ultragear 27GP850P, 32GB DDR4 RAM, ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280

I like the old WindsurfingMMX.

Even during long flight sessions on a side computer

ASemana

Between DCS and FSX I have plenty of study sims to keep the old brain active. Have tried other stuff during steam sales but I get bored or find having to use a key board to shoot ,run,jump etc ..tedious 

ZORAN

Yeah, I play almost all of those games.

I'm a huge fan of ETS2. The feeling can be quite similar to flight sims, with beautiful scenery passing by, exploring new areas etc. It's very relaxing. You need a decent steering wheel (€150 and up), so it's not super cheap. I really like that it's more structured  than something like P3D or X-Plane, with jobs boards, leveling up, earning money etc. ATS is also good, but I would wait until they've finished the rescale project and made it the same scale as ETS2.

Cities Skylines is obviously a totally different game, where you build and manage cities. A lot of it comes down to creativity and how much you enjoy that. Anyone can create a functioning city, the hard part is making it look nice and designing efficient interchanges and traffic systems. Check Youtube for some amazing cities people have built.

Farming Simulator I played for a while, but it gets extremely repetitive  and frustrating in the long run. Ploughing fields just isn't that exciting :smile:  You can hire AI helpers, but the AI is so bad you'll constantly babysit them.

Elite Dangerous I just couldn't get into. Played for ~15 hours and realized it would take me hundreds of hours to get a decent ship. Ships are 70 million and up, and missions pay 50 - 100k, a good trade route will give you a few thousand per ton in profits etc. They've made it such a grind in order to make people stick with the game and buy all the expansions, but for me it had the opposite effect. It's not a space sim so much as a "being poor and not finding a decent job"-simulator.

• Upvote 1

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

but for me it had the opposite effect. It's not a space sim so much as a "being poor and not finding a decent job"-simulator.

Thats funny :smile: