Sign in to follow this  
Manny

My new sim PC is dead as a door knob.. What now?

I usually operate my PC  using Team viewer since I travel a lot and I could not connect to my new build (I could connect to my old PC) so the issue was not the internet to my home but something else..

I came home just now and I find my prime PC Simulator is dead ..completely dead. Not a light on my MB. I changed the source of the power plug and no go

I am hoping its just my PSU and not my MB. IF that is the case, I can use this opportunity to get a bigger case, new PSU and a water cooler and I should be back in business.

But if its my MB that is dead then I am worried I would have to get a new OS and reinstall everything since  it  would look like a new PC to all my addons.. I feel like committing Harakiri!

What is the quickest way to confirm its my PSU and not my MB that is dead? the PSU fan is off.. its not turning on when I power it up. so I am certain 80% sure its the PSU.

My PSU is a solid PC Power and cooling  750W (one of the best PSU  companies) I am surprised.. 

DO I order a new PSU or should I do more testing to find the guilty component?

What full tower case and water cooler should I get  along with a 

EVGA 1000GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 5 Year Warranty, Power Supply 210-GQ-1000-V1?

Any recommendation that you have used in combination? 

How about this

CASE

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Obsidian-750D-Performance-Tower/dp/B00EB6O4N8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473989943&sr=8-2&keywords=pc+full+tower+corsair

PSU

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-1000GQ-Modular-Warranty-210-GQ-1000-V1/dp/B017ICWP82/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1473989548&sr=1-1&keywords=PSU&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6906988011

COOLER

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019EXSSBG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

So I can go from 4.5 to 4.7Ghz?

I ordered them on Prime at Amazon and I'll get it tormorow

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Sorry to hear this Manny. If you still have the original PSU box or manual, there should either be a jumper or instructions on which prongs to jump to see if the PSU is still alive. Do you remember the date of purchase? PSUs generally carry the longest warranties among PC components.

Bad mobo, CPU, RAM, GPU, etc. should at least power on. Not powering on at all smells of a bad PSU.

Do you remember the date of purchase?

Thanks for the sympathies Garrett!  I know its not the end of the world.. But its still heart breaking for us simmers.. no one outside the simming world would understand our loss. Hee hee :)

This is not my previous PC which is fairly solid...this is one generation prior to that.. I bought it when FSX was announced (that was a while ago) so not banking on Warranty.

Although I was a PC Power and cooling loyalist.. I bought this before they were bought out by another firm.  I am generally loyal to the ones who have done me good..but  now I am getting an  EVGA. The traitor that I am. 

Manny

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hook up a fan short Green to one of the black ground wires on the 24pin.

It should start , it looks like you have no 5v standby voltage from the PSU.

Cross my fingers that the MoBo is ok sometimes a faulty PSU damage the MoBo

I came home just now and I find my prime PC Simulator is dead ..completely dead. Not a light on my MB. I changed the source of the power plug and no go

If in the US, I don't believe you have fuses in your mains plugs, we in the UK do, so that would be something obvious to check. If you do, do check.

But if its my MB that is dead then I am worried I would have to get a new OS and reinstall everything since  it  would look like a new PC to all my addons..

No... you would not need a new OS. If it's a boxed version of Windows then obviously not, as you are allowed to install it on any PC as long as it's only one at any time. Wouldn't be necessary though, as you simply reactivate Windows.

If it's an OEM version of Windows, same applies, you simply reactivate it. Yes Windows would detect a different motherboard, but you are allowed to upgrade or replace components that are faulty within the licensing agreement. So no, in either case you will not need a new OS.

What is the quickest way to confirm its my PSU and not my MB that is dead? the PSU fan is off.. its not turning on when I power it up. so I am certain 80% sure its the PSU.

First check the obvious, that the power cable is plugged in properly, and that you haven't accidentally flipped the on/off switch on the back of the PSU. 

You can check your PC PSU with a cheap PSU tester available from Amazon. I have one, very useful. You can also check your PC with a fan, or with a test meter. Or alternatively by shorting out the relevant switch wires on the PSU. Often referred to as the paper clip test. You would need a load too, like the fan Westman mentioned, as modern PSU's require a load to turn on. Don't do if you aren't confident with electricity.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=PSU+tetser

DO I order a new PSU or should I do more testing to find the guilty component?

TEST or you could be wasting your money. Don't forget, modern PSU's often need to detect a load to turn on, thus, if the system has failed elsewhere, it may not turn on. Test the PSU, correct first step.

Also check all the cables within your PC. Make sure they are connected properly.

So I can go from 4.5 to 4.7Ghz?

Why the obsession with a mere 200 MHz? It's just over 4%. So at 30 frames per second a mere 1.2 frames per second. I'm sure you'll agree, 1.2 frames per second won't make any difference to your simming experience at all.

Nightmare! The PSU is fine.

I took out the PSU and connected the green and the black in the 24 Pin and turned on the PSU and the fan in the PSU started... so the PSU seems fine

I then reconnect the PSU to the motherboard ., Just the 24 pin and the 8pin and retried... the The PSU fan did not start and no lights on the MB.

So I have to assume a dead MB then?

Manny

Yes sadly, the computer would still attempt to post if you head a dead GPU / HDD or RAM. The fact that its not powering on at all is highly indicative of motherboard fault / failure somewhere. 

Sounds like the MB.

Check for shorts though. Shorts can sometimes give the impression of a dead board. No extra standoffs where they shouldn't be etc.

A minimum setup with MB outside of case, on the motherboard box, just ram, CPU and PSU connected might be a worthwhile test.

Check the power button too, I know you have no LED's illuminated on the board, but short the on off pins briefly anyway to eliminate the on off button.

I presume you checked the obvious, the on/off switch on the back of the PSU?

I connected the MB with my new PSU that arrived and it is still dead as a door knob..  and I jut got the RMA worked out with ASUS,,, I have to send this to them and they are going  to repair it and send it to me.

I have half a mind of ordering a new MB Z170-A Asus its $140. and keep the RMA one as a backup.. Ha Ha.

This is going to be a torture waiting for this and then rebuilding from scratch.. I hate it!

Sigh!

:fool:

So PC Power and Cooling is a good PSU unit.. I was surprised that it broke..  So my confidence in PC Power and Cooling is intact!  I am looking at the new 1000W EVGA PSU and the PC Power Cooling PSU looks more solid than the EVGA!  :)

I already ordered this thinking it was the PSU fault. 

Manny

I connected the MB with my new PSU that arrived and it is still dead as a door knob..  and I jut got the RMA worked out with ASUS,,, I have to send this to them and they are going  to repair it and send it to me.

I have half a mind of ordering a new MB Z170-A Asus its $140. and keep the RMA one as a backup.. Ha Ha.

:smile:  That's the sort of thing I often end up doing. RMA's can take time.

I am looking at the new 1000W EVGA PSU and the PC Power Cooling PSU looks more solid than the EVGA!  :)

That sounds like the Enermax Platimax 1000 watt single rail PSU? If so I can tell you it's a great PSU. I had one in my old rig, my son has it now. Fantastic PSU. Unusually for Enermax it''s a single rail design rather than a multi-rail.

Enermax are a top-notch brand. Would be considered a superior brand to PC Power Cooling.

You can return the Enermax PSU of course, you are entitled to do so. I'm pretty sure the distance selling regs are similar to hear in the UK. If you keep it though it would be a great PSU for your future needs. Overkill for anything but SLI, but great PSU.

That's the sort of thing I often end up doing. RMA's can take time.

I went back and forth and finllay I shipped the old MB to ASUS.. I sent it by post...cost me $13 it will reach them next Friday and then I have to wait for them to send something back via snail mail

I did not order a new MB. I am going to be busy at work the next two weeks anyway.. and I am travelling during the weekdays...  so for now I have decided to wait.

When I was building this new PC for my sim, I cannibalized (not my previous PC, but one before that) which was a mid tower Liam Li case where I had to compromise a lot including shoving 3 HD so close together without an exhaust fan and was worried about the HD Heat.. 

So I just opened up the Corsair 750D full tower case and am prepping it... I also got the corsair 100i Water cooler fan installed and am installing the SSDs and HD to the case and the 1000W EVGA PSU to the case...  Its a nice case.. I think its better than the HAF case that I have.

I am hoping when I put everything back into a new MB, my Win7 OS won't act up. 

I will then end up with two PC + half a PC with a case and PSU and maybe an extra MB.  Not sure what I am going to do with these? Maybe install a CPU and memory and OC and sell it as a Flight sim PC. Ha Ha! :)

Manny

It's been 3  weeks...  ASUS said, they cannot repair my MB and they are sending me an Open box MB as a replacement and it was tested before they ship it to me.. Except they have shipped it ground to a wrong address. I called ASUS and FedEX to rectify this.. Hopefully it would arrive at my place sometime Next week..so I can rebuild my PC next weekend.

I wouldn't have minded if they fixed my original MB since I wouldn't have to deal  with my OS activation issue.

I noticed on NEWEGG Review..that this has happened to others... My case is not an outlier as such...so not unusual that ASUS quality has been crappy lately?

Withdrawal  symptoms here. But I have been catching up on my other hobbies that I have been neglecting.. to keep my sanity!  :)

Manny

I wouldn't have minded if they fixed my original MB since I wouldn't have to deal  with my OS activation issue.

You wont have any issue with activation Manny. Components fail all the time. If Windows requests it, just reactivate online in the normal way.

Crazy they sent it to the wrong address. Asus are a great company, but I must admit, you do hears weird things re their support.

You wont have any issue with activation Manny.

OK.. I got my MB, a refurbished one from ASUS it looks like.. And it was backbreaking putting it all together again... 

When I "POST"ed after the build, it said, new CPU and took me to BIOS. But then so far my Win 7 did not prompt me to activate my OS again...so far.

But I think I am up an running! Woo hoo! Keeping my fingers crossed.

I just started a flight with my full Home cockpit gear all setup.. it looks good so far.

Phew! Good to have my sim back..3-4 weeks without simming... and I was having withdrawal symptoms..

Since I got a full tower case and a Corsair100i V2 Water cooler ,the temp was awesome..it was something like 35-45C on startup.. (no load) and even with load it did not go beyond 60C.

So I went to 1.39V and 4.6Ghz (I used have it 4.5Ghz) and it looks good so far.. the temp is at 60C... and max seems to be 73C.

So I think I can push my OC further to 4.7 or 4.8maybe... Whelp..for now I am going to run my sim for a bit to make sure my MB is stable..

Manny