Sign in to follow this  
Manny

My new sim PC is dead as a door knob.. What now?

Glad this worked out Manny.  Good story to keep in mind when these things occasionally happen.  Go step by step to determine the problem and then get the right replacement part.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Hey Manny, good to hear. I think MoBos suffer from some of the biggest QC oversights; they typically have more angry reviewers than any other component. I gambled and got an ASRock Z170 Extreme6 since I had a good experience with the ASRock Z77 that I had for my Ivy Bridge build. Pulling the trigger on the former was a little nerve-wracking considering how many bad reviews there are on that board but it's held up well.... so far.

Anyway, glad you're up and running again.

That's the sort of thing I often end up doing. RMA's can take time.

I would never do such a thing... By the time a motherboard fails, there are probably better motherboards at at a lower price...

. By the time a motherboard fails,

Usually if a MB lasts over 6 months, they tend to last over 5 years...if they fail, they fail pretty shortly.. I think

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

But I think I am up an running! Woo hoo! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Fantastic news!   :smile:

So I think I can push my OC further to 4.7 or 4.8maybe... Whelp..for now I am going to run my sim for a bit to make sure my MB is stable..

Don't forget what I said though, 4.6 to 4.8. in a well balanced system, which yours is, will only yield an additional 1 - 2 frames per second at 30 frames per second. So don't expect miracles from the increased frequency. Fun though.

I would never do such a thing... By the time a motherboard fails, there are probably better motherboards at at a lower price...

We were referring to boards DOA or soon after purchase. Rather than RMA, I have been known to buy new instead. Extravagant, but depends how well off you are.

Not sure what you mean to be honest. As for boards that fail after some time, then the fact that better boards are available for the same CPU and cheaper would be an advantage if buying rather than RMA'ing I would have thought.

We were referring to boards DOA or soon after purchase. Rather than RMA, I have been known to buy new instead. Extravagant, but depends how well off you are.

If I were to do this again, I'd buy a new board ..even If I RMA the old one. 4 Weeks of waiting  and then anxiety over a refurbished board not knowing what problem that would have..

In any case, the myth over ASUS quality has been busted in my head... I have stuck to ASUS the last 15 years over 4 builds.. nextime I may have to consider  ASROCK and Gigabyte.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter