Sign in to follow this  
KrisJ

Best paste/glue for CPU

Hi,

Anyone can suggest best paste/glue for CPU connection?

New build will be i7 6700k with ASUS ROG Hero Alpha and Noctua NH-D15s.

System will be overclocked in some future.

Thanks in advance!

Kris

I've never heard it described as glue before.  :smile:

The best TIM [Thermal Interface Material] won't make a huge difference, usually only a few degrees between reasonable paste and the best.

I used to use Innovation Cooling's Diamond Paste but these days use Noctua NT-H1. It's great paste, up their with the best, very easy to apply and best of all comes free with the best air cooler on the planet... the NH-D15S.

One 5mm blob in the middle of the heat spreader, mount the cooler and the pressure alone spreads it for you and makes sure their are no voids. Easy stuff.

So to sum up, as you're buying a D15, use the Noctua paste that comes with it. Anything else will make very little difference, so little there's no point in spending money on something different.

You could splash out on probably the best  non-liquid TIM, Thermal Grissly, but for high performance and good price per gram Noctua NT-H1 cuts the mustard. And of course if you take into consideration it's free with the cooler... unbeatable! 

TIP: Rather than buying the NH-D15... go for the NH-D15S. High compatibility version, more room for RAM and offset slightly so there's more room between it and the uppermost PCIe slot. So further away from the graphics card.

Best purchase I've made in a while Hasse. Very pleased with it. And awesome Noctua build quality of course.  :smile:

Great awswer Martin. Comprehensive and exceeding my expctations. Thank you.

One more thing Martin, All: is the Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha best choice in this price zone? From funcionalities and OC capabilities perspective?

Thanks!

Kris

You have two segments Z170-A up to type Z170 Gaming Aura very good Cards suite 95% of users.

From Hero VIII to Extreme VIII they have stronger VRM better memory magament if you go +3400mhz, OC slightly better if you now what you doing but can be worse if mess up with some setting.

And lot more bells and wistlers.

I run a Maximus Extreme VIII with fast mems 3600mhz C14 and a high clocked 6700k

Now Its time for Martin to shine in.

Arctic Silver 5. Non conductive and most widely used by overclocking communities.

I love it.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Hi KrisJ;

I have essentially the same build but I went with arctic silver CPU paste. From reading up on it, the paste that comes with the Noctua is just as good. I say use it (Noctua's paste) with confidence and enjoy your new build!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Arctic Silver 5. Non conductive and most widely used by overclocking communities.

I love it.

Was very popular at one time, somewhat less now. Pretty much been overtaken by better pastes.

Not much in it in terms of temp as I said, but  AS5 is quite a bit bellow NT-H1 and the top contenders.

http://overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-roundup-2015-47-products-tested-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/6/

Doesn't make the recommended pastes at all in the review above.

One more thing Martin, All: is the Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha best choice in this price zone? From funcionalities and OC capabilities perspective?

I went for the Z170 Deluxe and have been very pleased with it. Overclocking is great, VRM's nice and cool, plenty of fan headers, plenty of USB 3's. All the features I need.

Depends on your individual needs though. We are all different in our requirements. Some need WiFi some don't, some need a lot of USB's some don't. Just to say, you don't actually NEED a ROG board. There are plenty of non ROG Asus boards that do the business.

Best to consider what your needs are and draw up a short list. Then check out the reviews, it's overclocking capabilities, reliability etc.

If you want the best (excluding liquid metals - tricky to use), go for Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste. For a very comprehensive comparison, see http://overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-roundup-2015-47-products-tested-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/. It's a year old but covers all of the current best pastes.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

If you want the best (excluding liquid metals - tricky to use), go for Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste. For a very comprehensive comparison, see http://overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-roundup-2015-47-products-tested-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/. It's a year old but covers all of the current best pastes.

I've already given him that link.  :smile:

I already cited Thermal Grissly as the best non liquid TIM as well.

The reason I suggested he doesn't bother with Thermal Grissly, is that he gets Noctua NT-H1 free with his cooler, and the difference between Thermal Grissly and NT-H1 in terms of temp is small. Less than one degree. Temp difference between thermal pastes is very small. Pretty much meaningless for the average enthusiast.

To be honest, cost and ease of use are the more logical primary factors to consider. But yes, we all get swayed by the marketing.

Under load, here...

http://www.eteknix.com/thermal-grizzly-thermal-paste-vs-6-major-brands-review/3/

You can see that there's only ONE degree difference between Thermal Grissly and Noctua NT-H1.

Then of course we have  to bear in mind that with such minuscule differences in temperature, one degree is within the margin or error anyway. A slight variance in the ambient temp, or a small error in measurement and the tests mean nothing.

I've already given him that link.  :smile:

I already cited Thermal Grissly as the best non liquid TIM as well.

The reason I suggested he doesn't bother with Thermal Grissly, is that he gets Noctua NT-H1 free with his cooler, and the difference between Thermal Grissly and NT-H1 in terms of temp is small. Less than one degree. Temp difference between thermal pastes is very small. Pretty much meaningless for the average enthusiast.

To be honest, cost and ease of use are the more logical primary factors to consider. But yes, we all get swayed by the marketing.

Under load, here...

http://www.eteknix.com/thermal-grizzly-thermal-paste-vs-6-major-brands-review/3/

You can see that there's only ONE degree difference between Thermal Grissly and Noctua NT-H1.

Then of course we have  to bear in mind that with such minuscule differences in temperature, one degree is within the margin or error anyway. A slight variance in the ambient temp, or a small error in measurement and the tests mean nothing.

Sorry to repeat your good advice - I must avoid posting when I'm too tired to read everything carefully! I actually used the Noctua NT-H1 in my recent build as I couldn't find anywhere with the Thermal Grizzly in stock. It was easy to apply and seems to be working well.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit