Sign in to follow this  
downscc

B736 BBJ Around The World

This started as just a trip from KSNA Orange County John Wayne Airport to PHKO Kona on the big island..., and then I thought what the heck. I have Orbx NSTU Pago Pago so lets go there. Now I am going to keep going 5 hours at a time. What's interesting is PHKO-NSTU-YBBN Brisbane is not an ETOPS flight. Now enroute YBBN to YBRM Broome AU on NW coast.  Next will probably be VTBS Bankok to OMDB Dubai since I have those sceneries.

Nice way to spend a few days.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan

Good luck and have a nice time. Nice way to see the world but I imagine you have seen most of I the Air Force.

Did this a few years ago in the PMDG MD-11 and had a blast. I traveled eastbound from KBOS. Can't remember how many hops I did, but the last one was from KSEA to home. Learned a lot and it was one of the most enjoyable and satisfying flighsim experiences I've had to date. Hope you have a great time!

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Going well.  Mid-Indian continent right now enroute VTBS Bangkok to OMDB Dubai.

From KSNA John Wayne to PHKO Kona, NSTU Pago Pago, YBBN Brisbane, YBRM Broome to VTBS.  Planning to hop from Dubai to LGKR Corfu, EINN Shannon, KBOS Boston then KSNA.  That's eight segments about 5 hr each.

I notice Dubai seems to have the swankiest facilities for business jets whereas Bangkok had none.  I have nice add on scenery for all locations except EINN.

Dan Downs KCRP

Finally finished the world tour in the B736 BBJ. Almost made it yesterday but my neighborhood had a power outage when I was 125 nm from TOD into Boston...argh!  Pricing UPS Power Supplies now, sounds like a good Christmas gift to me.

My world tour started and ended at Orange County John Wayne Airport CA, and had stops at PHKO Kona HI, NSTU Pago Pago, YBBN Brisbane and YBRM Broome AU, VTBS Bangkok, OMDG Dubai, LGKR Corfu GR, EINN Shannon IRL, and KBOS Boston.  Average leg was 5-6 hr, one leg a day from 9/13 through 9/23.

I added FlyTampa LGKR for this journey and had a special moment as I glided down the arrival passing the island of Lefkas to my left.  I spent a year on Lefkas when i was in the USAF and have so many great stories..., pretty cool.  I spotted Scorpios in the bay where I learned to wind surf.  Tough duty but somebody had to do it.

Dan Downs KCRP

Sounds like a great trip. I bought a UPS a few years ago for the same reason.  I was getting tired of the brownouts that happen around here anytime it gets fairly windy. We don’t get too many extended outages they’re usually just long enough to spoil a flight with a PC reboot.

What's interesting is PHKO-NSTU-YBBN Brisbane is not an ETOPS flight.

I’m wondering how you came up with this conclusion?  NSTU to YBBN is doable, but I’m not seeing doing PHKO to NSTU without ETOPs planning. The easy answer is since you were flying as a BBJ you weren't operating under part 121, the way you worded it though sounded like you expected ETOPs planning.

Brian W

KPAE

Nope, it's because there are islands along the way that are B737 capable..., planning in the 777 would require ETOPS.  For the B737 you have PLPA and PCIS.

Dan Downs KCRP

Not sure what you’re using as a diversion speed but PLPA is 900 miles away from PHKO which means you must be using around 450 kts.  I haven’t tried running the numbers against the FPPM, but it seems high for an engine out speed, even when taking drift down in account.

Even if it is in range there’s the question of Part 139 subpart D applicability.  Being a private/restricted airport I’m not sure it does. What about the weather minimums for an alternate, how do you know you’ll be able to land since there’s no official weather reporting there?  I know it doesn’t qualify as an ETOPS alternate but as for a regular alternate I’m not sure.

Brian W

KPAE

Since aircraft is always within 60 min of an airfield we're not going to apply ETOPS criteria. The criteria for not requiring ETOPS is that simple, 60 min. No consideration is given to alternate weather or engine out or decompression as far as ETOPS yes/no decision.  Simple 60 min.

Realistically, this not being a commercial or even air charter flight, the preflight would include area forecasts and coordination with the respective airfield operators before flight.  I notice PFPX doesn't even provide for selecting an ETOPS criteria for this route because it is always within its adequate airports circles.  Ive flown this part of the Pacific many times in my B77W and PHTO/NSTU make a very good ETOPS-180 pair so the difference with the B737 would be due to speed differences.  Maybe ETOPS-207 would work if it were a requirement?

Dan Downs KCRP

That’s the point I’m trying to make, they aren’t within 60 minutes and they may not even qualify as valid alternates anyway if you’re flying under 121 rules.

Part 121.161 defines the 60 minutes as single engine still air time, any route time over that requires ETOPS.  Sure most BBJs operate under 91 which negates any ETOPS requirements.

Depending on the PFPX profile you’re using the alternate distance might be set too high which is why it would look like they were in range.

Brian W

KPAE

Ah..., good catch.  My alternate distances in PFPX for the BBJ were to high, once adjusted there now is an ETOPS-180 plan with PHKO and NSTU as the ETOPS alternates.  Problem solved.

Dan Downs KCRP

This started as just a trip from KSNA Orange County John Wayne Airport to PHKO Kona on the big island..., and then I thought what the heck. I have Orbx NSTU Pago Pago so lets go there. Now I am going to keep going 5 hours at a time. What's interesting is PHKO-NSTU-YBBN Brisbane is not an ETOPS flight. Now enroute YBBN to YBRM Broome AU on NW coast.  Next will probably be VTBS Bankok to OMDB Dubai since I have those sceneries.

Nice way to spend a few days.

Good you have VTBS as it doesnt exist in default FSX as I found to my considerable surprise when I came in trying to land in a paddy field a few weeks ago! Fortunatley I saved the approach, found some free scenery here and finished the flight. I too am going around the world... Taking my time... I'm in Manila atm and wondering whether to north to Japan - Baring Strait hop across into Alaska, Newfoundland, Iceland, UK (my home) or go south to Australia and take on the pacific islands as stop overs.  TC

That’s the point I’m trying to make, they aren’t within 60 minutes and they may not even qualify as valid alternates anyway if you’re flying under 121 rules.

Part 121.161 defines the 60 minutes as single engine still air time, any route time over that requires ETOPS.  Sure most BBJs operate under 91 which negates any ETOPS requirements.

Depending on the PFPX profile you’re using the alternate distance might be set too high which is why it would look like they were in range.

Ah..., good catch.  My alternate distances in PFPX for the BBJ were to high, once adjusted there now is an ETOPS-180 plan with PHKO and NSTU as the ETOPS alternates.  Problem solved.

Or... you applied for and received an exemption in your opsspecs. Then you can fly wherever you'd like!

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Good you have VTBS as it doesnt exist in default FSX as I found to my considerable surprise when I came in trying to land in a paddy field a few weeks ago!

Haha... I did the exact same thing in P3D after a epic long trip from KMEM in a B77L.  The scenery from AA Sceneries is very nice, right up there in quality with the best.  The challenge with a BBJ is to find an adequate parking spot since we are not going to be renting an airline gate and there's no apparent FBO at the field. I picked a nice spot on the cargo apron and used ADE to customize to my preferences.  Same goes for about anyplace... even KSNA I had to create a parking spot in front of the the FBO with space to maneuver and clearance from static aircraft. I always name these special parking spots PARKING 0 for easy find in the future.

Dan Downs KCRP