Sign in to follow this  
Humpty

R22

Did you plug all of those wires correctly ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I didn't do the wires atm ,but they are all connected.

Please do not disturb now I am in the Huey

For the huey I removed all the curves and deadzone and not twitchy at all now, but I am not sure if need to use a lot of cyclic for her to react to pitch or roll.

Now will try the mig21.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Well the Huey feels much better without the curves , but I am not sure about the Mig21 i find her quite sensitive

Oh no, now after modding the stick I have to move around a lot . in fact to pitch down I have to lean forward

But wow the AS350 is fun to fly now.

Well did make the stick working but I damaged the pins on the switches so I can't use them to trim , I taped a gamepad to the control and can adjust :) .

I've though about building or buying a proper cyclic many times. But then, when ever I think about it, I end up wanting a proper collective as well, preferable one with a throttle twist grip and perhaps a switch box at the top. And THEN I end up wanting proper helicopter pedals as well. And then... when I price it all out, I end up buying nothing at all, every time...

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I've though about building or buying a proper cyclic many times. But then, when ever I think about it, I end up wanting a proper collective as well, preferable one with a throttle twist grip and perhaps a switch box at the top. And THEN I end up wanting proper helicopter pedals as well. And then... when I price it all out, I end up buying nothing at all, every time...

Hehehe , I think C-tek has some good stuff.

My aim is not the helis but fixed wings.

After modding the stick I got worried that won't be good for fixed wings so I fired up DCS tried with the Mig21 and the L-39 (removed all curves and deadzones) I found it difficult to fly , then I switched to the flanker and it wow.

I still don't know how well it would work with fixed wings though.

If you are using the R22, I'd definitely recommend getting the Dreamfoil version rather than using the default one. It's superior in every way, and you can also turn on stability settings if you find it impossible to fly :-)

Also, if you want a step up in speed, Alabeo's R66 is also pretty decent and great for sight seeing.

If you are using the R22, I'd definitely recommend getting the Dreamfoil version rather than using the default one. It's superior in every way, and you can also turn on stability settings if you find it impossible to fly :-)

Also, if you want a step up in speed, Alabeo's R66 is also pretty decent and great for sight seeing.

Yeah I will , but I heard it's very sensitive.

I have the AS350 which is a great bird .

Will look up the R66.

It is very sensitive, but you can turn it down. The max sensitivity only works well if you have a proper collective, but a normal controller makes it very hard to fly on max settings and I wouldn't worry that you have to turn the settings down. 

I knew someone who created a heli setup for his sim and then he went to do some real heli lessons. Apparently during his first lesson he was able to hover and impressed the instructor :-). 

@Tony,

There is a youtube about the hovering.

Hmm but I have a modded stick now , shouldn't it be much better than the sensitivity adjustments ?

I just changed my joystick sensitivities all to the LEFT ( 0% )

I am using 0% art stab too

This way I find it easier to control the helis and most aircraft in xp10 - I have a T.16000

Previously I was using the settings created by Airfoillabs C172

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I just changed my joystick sensitivities all to the LEFT ( 0% )

I am using 0% art stab too

This way I find it easier to control the helis and most aircraft in xp10 - I have a T.16000

Previously I was using the settings created by Airfoillabs C172

I have everything to the left but the main problem lies in the roll especially the helis. So I fired up DCS , here the helis seem much better on the roll but not on the jets; the jets are too twitchy on the roll.

Hmm but I have a modded stick now , shouldn't it be much better than the sensitivity adjustments ?

A modded (longer) cyclic is a big help, but remember that every developer has their own idea about realism, and different ability to get closer to the real thing based on personal experience or feedback from real-world pilots.

So even with a longer stick, I think it's a good idea to adjust sensitivity if you need to, for the different models you're flying. There isn't one setting that will work perfectly with every different helicopter model, in my experience.

Also, some helicopters are just naturally more stable than others in a hover, due to weight and inertia. A Sea King isn't supposed to be as twitchy as an R22 or S300. To the degree an X-Plane model approximates that accurately enough, you'll feel it in the controls and won't need as much, or any, stability augmentation in the larger helos.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Since the real R22 and Hughes 300 don't have SAS, I wouldn't use it either in XP.

For me setting the controller sensitivities to their maximum better approximates the real sensitivity of an helicopter cyclic.

For heavier aircraft, and as Parafin pointed out  - depending on the way developers created them - I sometimes have to increase the sensitivities in pitch and roll and yaw.

For instance, I have re-installed the FF 777 and for flying it I use 60% in roll and pitch. Could even increase pitch to 80% curve. That way it hand flies acceptably.

Main Simulation Rig:

The stick modding is not just for Helis but also fixed wingz.

I will follow the advice. Make sensitivity a tad higher like 5% and keep testing till I reach a satifactory result.

Oh Jcomm you are back, good that other guy was a bit crazy