Sign in to follow this  
j35

Unable to enter Departure after selecting PROC at CYHZ.

Tried another route to get navigation system to work.

Nope!

What a waste of time and money buying this kind of product from Carenado if you have P3Dv4. 

Pretending that this stuff works is false advertising, at best.

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:45 AM, Beepolar1 said:

Solution: run sim as administrator.

This is what I do when hitting these kind of issues:

Running as Admin can be very useful looking to find out the cause of a problem.

If the problem is due to a folder that is read only to a regular user but becomes read/write to an admin then that's the problem.

So if the problem is access to write to a folder or file denied all we need do is add Modify permission to the (Authenticated) Users group on that folder.

So the Solution in that case would be to set the permission and start the sim normally. Since many install the sim in a custom folder to avoid the problems of write access to files within the sim folders and so need not run as admin to acquire permission for those, then it makes no sense to run as admin to acquire permissions for others folders.

The subfolders under the program files folder are read only to the Users group, and the subfolders under a custom folder outside of program files are read/write to the Authenticated Users group.

The difference between the two Users groups is that the Authenticated group is for the network, while the other is just for apps on that machine as can be seen it is the program files folder.

So in short, if we find a CTD or crash or fault of some kind and it is cured by running as admin we should investigate the possibility it simply is pathetically trying to write to a read only area or file - resorting to Run as Admin in these cases is a sledgehammer to crack a nut, a cludge. Sometimes an app must run as admin because it changes a system setting - that's not a file access problem and so must be allowed to  run with such privileges.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I always run all my programs, as well as dozens of payware aircraft as administrator, with full rights.

That is not the problem here or all the other Carenado jets that can only be flown by hand.

Bad coding on incomplete aircraft. Like I said, waste of time and money. Don't buy.

Kind regards,

27 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

I always run all my programs, as well as dozens of payware aircraft as administrator, with full rights.

That's not a big worry. However it is unnecessary unless the software has to make a system setting. The thing to watch for is that some intercommunicating apps need matching privileges to talk, not admin - just matching. Depends what they do, so that if one is started as admin all must be started as admin in case there's anything going to miss. It's the kind of stuff that often leads to those mystery CTDs and I hate clicking OK to continue with elevated privileges when there's no need.

Of course on a more professional basis, I've put software into places where they can't run P3D as admin since an admin would need to come over and type in the credentials. So the idea that all of this stuff needs admin privileges is ridiculous.

But administering proper privileges is not simply a guard against malware but as I showed earlier, it actually goes some way to help avert possibilities of strange software problems in ways not generally understood.

...as a sub-note, did you ever see posts whereby someone couldn't get it to work and even run as admin and still didn't work? Or that it used to work then later stopped? Sometimes even being an admin can't acquire the permission to certain files or folders, especially custom folders made by the users. If you create a folder you own a folder and subsequently alter the profile in certain ways can leave that folder unreachable even as admin leading to taking ownership and other mucking around.

Thanks Steve, I suggest you offer to help Carenado administer itself! :huh:

As far as I can tell zero customers can make the more (attempted) complicated Carenados work correctly in P3Dv4 except for hand flying. They are buggy and will not plot or fly a plan. The applications can not be programed even though Carenado claims otherwise in their advertising.

I have been buying and flying their aircraft for a dozen years, give or take, so thought I would give them a chance on their new advanced offerings. They do not work.

They can not claim one thing, and have another.

This is a serious matter that they must address or have significant consequences.

Kind regards,

• Upvote 1

I can't comment on the Carenado's but if one user has a thing working and another does not then it's down to the one that has not to figure out the problem.

After testing I have found out that opening the panels in 2D still doesn't solve all problems. Now the departure airport won't load when choosing it in Proc even if arrival does. I'll have to put it in as first waypoint, and then it loads as departure airport. And if it's a comfort for SpiritFlyer I also have the same problem that Jim Young talks about in other topics, where the sim crashes when entering the flight plan or after a while. Hope the V4.1 update fixes this.

With P3D moving along and Windows updated all the time, stuff is going to happen. In P3D the way some things work may not have changed but how they respond to poor inputs of data or events have become more critical in some areas leading to problems. Let alone the problems appearing through fast P3D development that are being chased and tied down. Also with Windows having many deprecated features updates are coming along and sure enough stuff using deprecated features stops working. Also in Windows as in P3D certain functions require more critically correct use or suffer consequences. It's a hard game. 

3 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Has this been fixed in P3Dv4.1?

Hi Stephen,

I've made a succesfull flight in the 300.

Just follow my tutorial and you'll be good :biggrin:

Cheers, Cees

Cees van der Linden

36 minutes ago, celin101 said:

Hi Stephen,

I've made a succesfull flight in the 300.

Just follow my tutorial and you'll be good :biggrin:

Cheers, Cees

Deal!

Where is your tutorial Cees? Do you have a link?

Yours is the best welcome reply all month!

Kindest regards,

SpiritFlyer has replied in the tutorial thread you posted the link for.  There seems to be another tutorial...or a different problem....