Sign in to follow this  
--Randy--

"Error opening file for writing"....when installing aircraft.

I have a brand new Windows 10 install with FSX-SE installed. 

When ever I try to install a new aircraft I get an "error opening file for writing" error and it refers to a file in steamapps\common\fsx\effects\fx_carldnc177.fx 

If I click ignore I get an error on another file relating to the aircraft. 

It doesn't appear to matter which aircraft I try to install. 

I am signed on as Administrator and have gone into User Account Control and moved the slider to the bottom and am running FSX-SE as Administrator and am running the aircraft install program as Administrator. 

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help. 

Randy

• Upvote 1

Randy

You could try reducing security:

Right click on the FSX folder, select properties, then security. Now create a group named "Everyone" and give it full access rights for the folder. You can also try to give all the other groups full access too, but this does not always work.

LORBY-SI

Since we become members of the Users group when we log into windows and become authenticated, permission to alter file or folder content is properly achieved by adding the Modify permission to the Users group on that folder or file. I don't think this is a cure for Randy's problem, since the Users group already has modify access to the SteamApps folder.

Hi Randy! A while since we spoke. I hope all is good with you and yours.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks fellas. 

I tried the Everyone group change and it made no difference. 

This is really bizarre....I can not figure out what the heck is going on here. 

I even checked the Attributes in the Properties section of the FSX folder under the General Tab and it has Read only checked so I tried to uncheck it and it appears to run and change all the sub folders and files but when you go back to check it...it says Read Only.

So I am stumped.   

• Upvote 1

Randy

User Access Controls disabled?

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Have you tried enabling a hidden administrator account?  

Go to Command Prompt (Elevated).   Type:  net user administrator /active:yes   and Enter.   This should enable a new admin account for you to install the software.

To disable this account, go back to Command Prompt (Elevated) and type:  net user administrator /active:no  and Enter.

Found the problem......and thanks for all the great suggestions.  I have never heard of the "hidden administrator account" I will have to remember that one. 

What I found was, I had used "FSX Reg Utility" to check to see if the correct path to Steam FSX was set in the Registry and it appeared to be correct so I didn't change it. Well a buddy of mine suggested that I reset it on the off chance that it appeared correct but really wasn't, and sure enough that was exactly what was going on. 

As soon as I reset the correct path to FSX Steam in the 2 Registry positions that show up in FSX RegUtility it started working correctly and I could install any aircraft I wanted. 

Thanks again everyone. 

Randy

• Upvote 1

Randy