Go for faster memory - at least DDR4-3000. I'm biased, but I would also go for the Phanteks Enthoo Pro case (currently on offer at Newegg for $79.99). It's a big case but, if you have the space, very easy to work in with plenty of excellent cooling options and great cable management for a very clean install. My Corsair H110i GT cooler fits in the top with plenty of space to spare. See https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhmn21ylkc for a review. I went for the non-windowed option as it sits tucked away under my desk.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Go for faster memory - at least DDR4-3000. I'm biased, but I would also go for the Phanteks Enthoo Pro case (currently on offer at Newegg for $79.99). It's a big case but, if you have the space, very easy to work in with plenty of excellent cooling options and great cable management for a very clean install. My Corsair H110i GT cooler fits in the top with plenty of space to spare. See

for a review. I went for the non-windowed option as it sits tucked away under my desk.

Agreed.  Ram is so cheap too.  I just built mine and have a similar build as yours (except a GTX 1060 and a lower model cooler).  I use the H60 and it keeps things plenty cool even with a slight overclock.  It saved a bit of money although a lot of people seemed to recommend a better cooler such as yours.

• Upvote 1

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

I'd rather you go for the i7 7600K Processor. and a faster memory. You could cut down on the cooler instead of spending$125 on the cooler you have picked.  JMO

The current processor you selected is only 3.5Ghz, if you pick the i7-7600K processor (4.0-4.2Ghz to start with) even with the cheap $29 Cooler master Evo 212 cooler you could take it to 4.5Ghz

Suggested change.. to your original basket.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/P3WHGf

• Upvote 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

The current processor you selected is only 3.5Ghz, if you pick the i7-7600K processor (4.0-4.2Ghz to start with) even with the cheap $29 Cooler master Evo 212 cooler you could take it to 4.5Ghz

Wouldn't necessarily agree. 

In regard to the 6600K, I understand it overclocks to 4.5 GHz quite readily. And yes, I suspect that would be possible with the 850 Evo... dependant on the silicone lottery of course.

If on a budget, the 6600K is a good choice. 

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't necessarily agree. 

In regard to the 6600K, I understand it overclocks to 4.5 GHz quite readily. And yes, I suspect that would be possible with the 850 Evo... dependant on the silicone lottery of course.

If on a budget, the 6600K is a good choice. 

However the i5 6600k + the Corsair h115i cost the same as the i7 6700k + the hyper 212 evo. If I overclock them both to 4.5h GHz they would be relatively similar. And if I decide to upgrade to water cooling in the future with the i7 6700k, it would be far cheaper than upgrading to the i7 6700k. Tell me if I am wrong.

However the i5 6600k + the Corsair h115i cost the same as the i7 6700k + the hyper 212 evo.

Depends how desperate you are to save money. Why not the 6600K plus the Hyper 212 Evo? If you are content with 4.4-4.5 GHz, then a viable option. Another 200MHz beyond that makes very little difference in terms of frame rate.

However... don't just dive in and buy a 212 Evo, research, there may be a better budget cooler.

If I overclock them both to 4.5h GHz they would be relatively similar.

Depends if you need the hyper-threading provided by the 6700K. If you don't run anything that uses HT, then yes, they would be similar. 

And if I decide to upgrade to water cooling in the future

Don't be swayed by the marketing hype. There's been a big push recently to nudge enthusiasts toward AIO's. Remember... top tier air coolers, and the Noctua NH-D15S is the best, compete VERY favourably with AIO. With no chance of leaks, no pump to fail, no pump noise, no moving parts, lasts a lifetime.

Of all the AIO water coolers, my choice would probably be the H115. But as I say, don't write off big air, logically, the best air coolers make sense.

Tell us your max budget! Is it the $1345 indicated in your link? Higher? Knowing this we can advise.

This was my recent build, but bear in mind I had a big budget.

Asus Z170 Deluxe

GSkill Ripjaw V 3200 MHz.

Noctua NH-D15S

Enermax Platimax 850 - multi-rail PSU

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified. [bought before the 1080 was released]

If I were on a limited budget, and this is only a quick glance on the internet, it would be something like...

Asus Z170-A

GSkill Ripjaw V 3000 MHz.

NH-D15S

Corsair RMi 750 gold rated  ["i" Corsair PSU's can be configured for single rail or multi-rail]

Samsung 850 Evo 250 [ Not sure why your drive is small, do you have a drive already?]

EVGA GTX 1060 SC.

• Upvote 1

This will give you some idea as to what top tier air cooling can do compared to closed loop water coolers...

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/2

As you can see, the NH-D15 was only 4 degrees warmer than the mighty Kraken X61. And when we look at the noise levels, the D15 was super quiet. 45 dBA compared to the Karaken X61 at 61 dBA. Quite clear from this that the X61 cheats by including high RPM noisy fans.

The NH-D15 matched the H100i GTX for cooling but was much quieter, due to lower RPM quiet fans! Quite clear from these results that with the same fans on both the H100i GTX and the D15, that the D15 would be the superior cooler.

• Upvote 1

Not sure why your drive is small, do you have a drive already?

I don't need much storage. Right now, I am only using 150 GB. I figured in in the future I needed more storage, I could get a second drive.

I also have a few questions:

How far could I overclock the i5 6600k with a budget cooler (Hyper 212 Evo or Cryorig H7) and with a high end cooler (NH-D15 or Corsair h115i).

Same goes for the i7 6700k.

Thank you!

How far could I overclock the i5 6600k with a budget cooler (Hyper 212 Evo or Cryorig H7) and with a high end cooler (NH-D15 or Corsair h115i).

Same goes for the i7 6700k.

6700K with Hyper 212 Evo: 4.4 - 4.5 Ghz, dependant on the silicone lottery, your ambient temp and how much heat you are prepared to accept. However... I would recommend the Noctua NH-U14S. A few degrees cooler and legendary Noctua build quality.

6700K with NH-D15S: 4.6 - 4.8GHz, dependant on the silicone lottery, your ambient temp etc.

Note: This is the NH-D15S! The "S" is the high compatibility version of the NH-D15. Excellent RAM compatibility and an offset design so that the cooler is further away from the uppermost PCIe slot. In my opinion, the "S" variant is the NH-D15 perfected.

The NH-D15S has only one fan. However, don't be fooled into thinking it's inferior in terms of cooling, it's not. One fan on the D14/D15/D15S equates to only 1 -2 degrees warmer, so meaningless. However... Noctua provide the extra clips in case you wish to add a second fan.

6600K and the coolers above overclock pretty close to the 6700K. Possibly something like 100MHz less. These are average results of course, all CPU's are different, ambient temps are different etc. From time to time, some lucky individuals can overclock higher, or some unfortunate individuals lower... but Skylake has been consistently overclocking between 4.6 and 4.8 with high end cooling, since launch. Yields seem very consistent.

Corsair h115i

AIO closed loop water cooler, or big air is something only you can decide. Some are perfectly happy with the small risk of leaks, small risk of pump noise, or pump failure and prefer the aesthetics of AIO's. If that's you, so be it, I have no problem with that.

On the other hand, like me, you may see no point at all in accepting any risk of water leaks, hassle with manufactures trying to get compensation for damaged hardware, limited pump lifespan, and more noise than a top tier Noctua air cooler.... when the NH-D15S cools very close to the best AIO's with none of the disadvantageous of water cooling.

Remember... 100 MHz here, or 200 MHz there, equates to very little in terms of frame rate in the sim, or games for that matter. You're talking about 1-2 frames per second at 30 frames per second. Meaningless!

• Upvote 1

6700K with Hyper 212 Evo: 4.4 - 4.5 Ghz, dependant on the silicone lottery, your ambient temp and how much heat you are prepared to accept. However... I would recommend the Noctua NH-U14S. A few degrees cooler and legendary Noctua build quality.

6700K with NH-D15S: 4.6 - 4.8GHz, dependant on the silicone lottery, your ambient temp etc.

Note: This is the NH-D15S! The "S" is the high compatibility version of the NH-D15. Excellent RAM compatibility and an offset design so that the cooler is further away from the uppermost PCIe slot. In my opinion, the "S" variant is the NH-D15 perfected.

The NH-D15S has only one fan. However, don't be fooled into thinking it's inferior in terms of cooling, it's not. One fan on the D14/D15/D15S equates to only 1 -2 degrees warmer, so meaningless. However... Noctua provide the extra clips in case you wish to add a second fan.

6600K and the coolers above overclock pretty close to the 6700K. Possibly something like 100MHz less. These are average results of course, all CPU's are different, ambient temps are different etc. From time to time, some lucky individuals can overclock higher, or some unfortunate individuals lower... but Skylake has been consistently overclocking between 4.6 and 4.8 with high end cooling, since launch. Yields seem very consistent.

AIO closed loop water cooler, or big air is something only you can decide. Some are perfectly happy with the small risk of leaks, small risk of pump noise, or pump failure and prefer the aesthetics of AIO's. If that's you, so be it, I have no problem with that.

On the other hand, like me, you may see no point at all in accepting any risk of water leaks, hassle with manufactures trying to get compensation for damaged hardware, limited pump lifespan, and more noise than a top tier Noctua air cooler.... when the NH-D15S cools very close to the best AIO's with none of the disadvantageous of water cooling.

Remember... 100 MHz here, or 200 MHz there, equates to very little in terms of frame rate in the sim, or games for that matter. You're talking about 1-2 frames per second at 30 frames per second. Meaningless!

Thank you!