Sign in to follow this  
mr340

How many payware scenery do you have active ?

Hi I would like to know how many payware scenery do you have active? I remember back in fsx we had to deactivate the payware scenery we are not flying to.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

Hi I would like to know how many payware scenery do you have active? I remember back in fsx we had to deactivate the payware scenery we are not flying to.

I believe that LM, in the version 3 series, came up with an algorithm that either took a look at your flight plan or the likelihood of your traveling to far away sceneries and somehow deactivated them, or even unloaded all but the most Relevent scenery from memory.

I have to admit to still deactivating the scenery I don't need for any particular flight...purely out of habit and...probably needlessly.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I believe that LM, in the version 3 series, came up with an algorithm that either took a look at your flight plan or the likelihood of your traveling to far away sceneries and somehow deactivated them, or even unloaded all but the most Relevent scenery from memory.

I have to admit to still deactivating the scenery I don't need for any particular flight...purely out of habit and...probably needlessly.

Chas

This is good to know because i have a lot of payware scenery in Europe and most of them are very close to each other.

I think they were never loaded into memory unless they were in rendering range.

Interesting i never thought of that. But i do see GSX gives me a please wait message every time i activate a scenery . I haven't run into no OOM problem so i'm trying to avoid that .

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz

Interesting i never thought of that. But i do see GSX gives me a please wait message every time i activate a scenery . I haven't run into no OOM problem so i'm trying to avoid that .

It just reads your scenery library so that GSX is aware of any scenery changes.

I never 'had' to deactivate payware scenery back in the FSX days and I never did so in P3D. I simply don't believe in this 'tweak'. ;) To me it's one of those nonsense tweaks that found its way to the Internet and was adopted and copied by tweak obsessed simmers that never actually tested it. ;)

I never did this back when I started in FS2004.  I had a ton of airports back then too.  I have a lot less for P3D but I'm slowly building it but have never thought of deactivating any.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

deactivating scenery that you don't fly often helps with the load time.. when starting P3D, my start up screen shows 6% terrain and remains in that range 6%-9% for a long time.. and then goes from there to 100% in a jiffy.

I wish LM would give us a debug option to display...what the heck its doing instead of that useless/dumb %age thingi which is totally misleading.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I never 'had' to deactivate payware scenery back in the FSX days and I never did so in P3D. I simply don't believe in this 'tweak'. ;) To me it's one of those nonsense tweaks that found its way to the Internet and was adopted and copied by tweak obsessed simmers that never actually tested it. ;)[/quote

I don't think that's a useless tweak for fsx. Fsx doesn't handle scenery the same way prepar3d does . When you are flying over a scenery that you are not using , fsx handles that differently compare to prepar3d .

• Upvote 1

Mr Leny

It's a very useful tweak even in P3D. If you do a flight crossing over or near London even at FL400 and you've activated London City, Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton and Southend they will all load into the sim once you get within range. Even a high powered machine will experience a stutter while this happens, plus they will bite away at VAS. I deactivate everything except the airports I need. 

• Upvote 3

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

It's a very useful tweak even in P3D. If you do a flight crossing over or near London even at FL400 and you've activated London City, Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton and Southend they will all load into the sim once you get within range. Even a high powered machine will experience a stutter while this happens, plus they will bite away at VAS. I deactivate everything except the airports I need. 

I think this is the best tip here. I always have all my scenery activated in my library. I never have made a fuss about only having active what I will be using. But I think the biggest unnecessary VAS draw would be overflying big airports and what not and having them load when you don't need them to. Such as for myself, If I were to fly from Monterrey to Sonoma County in California I would deactivate FlightBeam's KSFO and ORBX KSQL. I don't need those drawing VAS when I'm going directly overhead at 20,000 feet.

So other than anything you'll be directly overflying, I wouldn't worry about it much. 

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

I have 76 add on airports plus most of the FTX regions and everything is always on.

I have gone into a few add on products from Fly Tampa and turned off large ( >100 MB) photo bgls, they're not required if I have that FTX region and openLC product.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have 76 add on airports plus most of the FTX regions and everything is always on.

I have gone into a few add on products from Fly Tampa and turned off large ( >100 MB) photo bgls, they're not required if I have that FTX region and openLC product.

But....is it also not correct that if you do not have any of your scenery unchecked, that your load time is going to be significantly longer?

Thanks,

Chas

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

that your load time is going to be significantly longer?

Not that I've noticed.  There are things that lengthen load times, mostly stuff that is loaded by the dll and exe xml files but not the scenery.  It isn't loaded if it's not within range.

The only time that load times would be affected is when you delete the scenery indexes and P3D needs to rebuild them.  The indexes are the key to not requiring a lengthy load time for sceneries on each load.

Dan Downs KCRP

Not that I've noticed. There are things that lengthen load times, mostly stuff that is loaded by the dll and exe xml files but not the scenery. It isn't loaded if it's not within range.

Yeah, but I've noticed that if I exclude any Orbix /FTX scenery, that Long scenery load hang at six seconds... doesn't occur… Am I crazy?

Thanks,

Chas