Sign in to follow this  
prdant

X-plane is very jerky (Windows 10 and driver issues)

All or anyone, I am at a loggerhead with x-plane and its performance. Let me clear I am not bashing x-plane I believe that it is a great sim.

My PC is Windows 10, has an Intel i5-2500 quad core 3.30GHz processor. 16Gb RAM and a Nvidia GeFoece GTX 750 w/2Gb of RAM. I would think that with this setup that I could run x-plane.

Today after many days of watch youtube, practicing using cold and dark and loading the FMS on IXEG 737 I taxied out rwy 26 at KDEN for a short flight to KLAS. Taxi out was flawless and the takeoff right on the numbers using A/T. Got into the air and cleaned up the AC, kicked on the AP and boom. Frame rate fluctuated between 10 -24 and the sim froze every 40 ft as I attempted to climb to 16500. I lowered the the rendering to low with no change.

I would welcome the wisdom of x-plane users as to what I have missed here. Thanks in advance! :smile:

Phill Dant

Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

All or anyone, I am at a loggerhead with x-plane and its performance. Let me clear I am not bashing x-plane I believe that it is a great sim.

My PC is Windows 10, has an Intel i5-2500 quad core 3.30GHz processor. 16Gb RAM and a Nvidia GeFoece GTX 750 w/2Gb of RAM. I would think that with this setup that I could run x-plane.

Today after many days of watch youtube, practicing using cold and dark and loading the FMS on IXEG 737 I taxied out rwy 26 at KDEN for a short flight to KLAS. Taxi out was flawless and the takeoff right on the numbers using A/T. Got into the air and cleaned up the AC, kicked on the AP and boom. Frame rate fluctuated between 10 -24 and the sim froze every 40 ft as I attempted to climb to 16500. I lowered the the rendering to low with no change.

I would welcome the wisdom of x-plane users as to what I have missed here. Thanks in advance! :smile:

Phil,

If running Windows 10, you could have the problem with the "Anniversary Update". Windows 10 introduced a performance bug to Open GL applications. If you browse a webpage or open another application while using an OpenGL application such as XPlane, your frame rates will go down to single digits and there is nothing you can do then. Try not to change focus of XPlane as the primary application when using it and it is fine. Microsoft know about this bug and hopefully they will release a patch soon.

Other stuff that induces stutters in Nvidia's control panel settings, go to your XPlane profile and disable "Threaded Optimisation", and you sim will be smooth as glass. Good luck!

Thank you for that advice I will test that out right after dinner. I am putting my x-plane folder on a thumb drive right now just in case I may want to roll back from windows 10.

Phill Dant

Thank you Will, that one change made the difference. It is nice to have a sim community.

Phill Dant

Thank you Will, that one change made the difference. It is nice to have a sim community.

Your video card doesn't have enough memory. I am almost using 6 gigs of video ram with my rendering settings.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

My system is almost exactly like yours - only have a GTX 960 instead of a 750.

I am running the latest Win 10 version and appart from other strange problems, not directly related to XP10, I re-installed xp10 a couple of days ago and it is running just fine.

I was using nvidia inspector, but I reverted to Nvidia Control Panel only and just set threaded optimization to off, single display performance, power at max performance, and FXAA to On, as per an youtube advice I tested and liked.

I also have Vsync set in the NI CP to the closest I was used to set through NI - vsync 1/2 adaptive - while in NI I used "Clamp", but t's just fine and I get a more or less stable 30 fps, sometimes down to 22 with heavier clouds or scenery.

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Phil,

If running Windows 10, you could have the problem with the "Anniversary Update". Windows 10 introduced a performance bug to Open GL applications. If you browse a webpage or open another application while using an OpenGL application such as XPlane, your frame rates will go down to single digits and there is nothing you can do then. Try not to change focus of XPlane as the primary application when using it and it is fine. Microsoft know about this bug and hopefully they will release a patch soon.

Other stuff that induces stutters in Nvidia's control panel settings, go to your XPlane profile and disable "Threaded Optimisation", and you sim will be smooth as glass. Good luck!

It doesn't only cause the performance to drop to single digits it worsen the overall performance of the sim and induces stutters. I've also talked with Microsoft support and the guy didn't exactly acknowledge this as their fault because apparently, they fixed many issues with Open GL in these updates, but still said they will look into this. Considering there was an update a few days ago which didn't fix the issue I'm getting a bit worried. 

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Just another data point here to indicate it's not affecting everyone. I'm running Win 10 with latest updates and seeing no problems at all.

I'm getting very high frame rates (consistent 40 fps, sometimes up to 50+). Running X-Plane in a window taking up most of my 1900x1200 desktop, frequently switching back and forth to Plan-G flight planner or Chrome for web browsing.

My system is an i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 Gig RAM, GTX 970 video.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

MS don't exactly have a history of admitting their failures. Look at the Windows 8 joystick debacle.

• Upvote 2

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Just another data point here to indicate it's not affecting everyone. I'm running Win 10 with latest updates and seeing no problems at all.

I'm getting very high frame rates (consistent 40 fps, sometimes up to 50+). Running X-Plane in a window taking up most of my 1900x1200 desktop, frequently switching back and forth to Plan-G flight planner or Chrome for web browsing.

My system is an i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 Gig RAM, GTX 970 video.

Do you own windows 10 pro version?

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

I'm running Windows 10 Home edition.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

guys try updating your NVidia drivers to the latest non-beta version.

I did this yesterday and seems to have solved my frame drop to 5fps.....also, check your choices in Windows and other places, as it appears the Anniversary update changes a lot of stuff to default.

I tried disabling the GameDVR in the X-Box app.

Tried updating to Nvidia's 372.90.

Also tried the compatibility settings of X-Plane.exe to Windows 8.

Nothing has helped at all. This has become a show stopper for me sadly :(

Enrique Vaamonde