Sign in to follow this  
prdant

X-plane is very jerky (Windows 10 and driver issues)

Enrique,

can you try to disable win 10 firewall, shut it down totally through the Security Settings interface, and see if you notice better performance ?

LAST MINUTE:  Enrique, just came across this excellent NOTAM by Mitch here at AVSIM...

http://www.avsim.com/topic/495280-notam-two-very-important-w10-tips-you-will-thank-me-for/#entry3484851

Check the item in it, specially the USB part.

Hope you get it going!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

There is no better performance. Even after 3 windows updates the issue remains. The sim drops to 1 digit fps and overall worse performance. I'm seriously thinking of switching back to win 7 considering I got no response from the X plane developers and no word from Microsoft. This has been going on for good 3 weeks now.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Check THIS please.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Hola Jose!

Thanks so much for the heads up. I will try these later and post back!!!

cheers

-E

Enrique Vaamonde

There is no better performance. Even after 3 windows updates the issue remains. The sim drops to 1 digit fps and overall worse performance. I'm seriously thinking of switching back to win 7 considering I got no response from the X plane developers and no word from Microsoft. This has been going on for good 3 weeks now.

The scan showed no errors. I would also like to advise people not to temper with power management of your USB external hard drives as this can shorten its life span quite a lot.

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Apparently, this could be the fault of Nvidia drivers which would also show why only some have issues. Here's a post I found

"Thank you all for the reports! Microsoft is, at this point pretty certain that the problem lies in the nVidia OpenGL driver, and they are talking with nVidia to resolve. So, if you are able to reproduce this issue on a different GPU please send me a trace. Otherwise, I've got all we needed, thank you!"  https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-37795

The trace he is still requesting for NON Nvidia Gpus was spelled out in a post titled IMPORTANT further up the page from Sept 18.

So keep one eye on this discussion , another on the SL JIRA and a third on the Firestorm JIRAhttp://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-20034

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

did you remember to turn off threaded optimization for x-plane in the nvidia control panel? that caused alot of people to have slight pauses in sim.

did you remember to turn off threaded optimization for x-plane in the nvidia control panel? that caused alot of people to have slight pauses in sim.

We're not talking about slight pauses here, but yea that was the first thing I did 6 months ago when I switched from P3D.

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

All, I started this thread and tried some of the fixes. The system is running well now. I did find a video on youtube that addressed the best settings for x-plane and the nvidia cards. Worth a look if interested.  

Phill Dant

Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Hello, I managed to get my FPS back by uninstalling this update KB3193494.

Then I used the group policy editor (run->gpedit.msc->computer configuration->administrative templates->all settings->configure automatic updates->enabled->2-Notify for download & install) and modified the settings for stopping Windows from installing updates automatically.

This will only work in Windows 10 PRO, although I'm sure Windows 10 Home must have an option somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

-E

• Upvote 1

Enrique Vaamonde

Enrique obrigado! Thx Enrique!  Nice path to follow...

It happens that I decided to make a clean system install today - I was not having performance issues, but I was having some blue screens from time to time, and found reports of a bunch of corrupt system files...

Now I have a clean win 10 64 about to get ready to receive clean copies of PSX and ELITE :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

I really wish that MS would hurry up and address this OpenGL issue.

Certain Win 10 programs (Forza Horizon 3)  require the latest updates to be applied before they will even install. Which means that right now I have to be super careful not to switch windows on XP.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

My anniversary "update" came down this past Saturday.  Maybe they have fixed things or the problem just hasn't shown up yet, but my framerates are as good as ever.  I used Windows+Tab to go online while on a flight just to see if that would throw it off and everything was good when I got back - running in the low 50s with the 2 x ....xxxx setting.  The only problem I had was the USB port (just one of them this time) not working until I shifted the cables to different ports and then reprogramming all the controllers.  I later found that Windows 10 had re-checked all the "sleep when not being used" USB hub assignments.  All working well right now.

John

John Wingold

ARGH!

I have uninstalled the infamous KB3176938 update about three weeks ago and forced it from re-installing by using Microsoft "Show or hide updates" utility.

Everything was fine until now - flying around DD Moscow City X scenery in the excellent REP C210 i alt+tabbed in and out of X-Plane for like 50th time and suddenly my FPS goes from 50+ down to 2-3 fps...

Looks like Microsoft "included" that stupid OpenGL bug in a newer update that replaced KB3176938. What a great multitasking OS... tired of this  :mad:

EDIT: the newest Win10 update that breaks OpenGL is KB3189866 (on some systems it's installed as KB3193494)

Regards,

Radek

ARGH!

I have uninstalled the infamous KB3176938 update about three weeks ago and forced it from re-installing by using Microsoft "Show or hide updates" utility.

Everything was fine until now - flying around DD Moscow City X scenery in the excellent REP C210 i alt+tabbed in and out of X-Plane for like 50th time and suddenly my FPS goes from 50+ down to 2-3 fps...

Looks like Microsoft "included" that stupid OpenGL bug in a newer update that replaced KB3176938. What a great multitasking OS... tired of this  :mad:

EDIT: the newest Win10 update that breaks OpenGL is KB3189866 (on some systems it's installed as KB3193494)

The current updates to Win10 are cumulative - they include (for better or worse, this time definitely for worse) the previous updates. So, if you hadn't updated previously, or if you had uninstalled the previous update(s), it's wrapped up in the new one. Which right now, is KB3193494.

It's far more than X-Plane that's being affected by this, there's quite a few OpenGL games and applications that are seeing the same issue. But since we have a higher probability of switching screens (I usually have browser tabs open on a second screen showing charts), it probably affects us proportionally worse. I know that personally, I rarely if ever switch screens in most other games, so I've yet to encounter it anywhere else.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.