Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Usage review of my new EVGA GTX1070 (F)or (T)he (W)in--FTW graphic card

Mitch, I was about to boost my setup and already had identified a new CPU, MBO and GPU (I also own a 680GTX and was aiming at the 1070), until I read your thread... Now I will buy the new GPU first as you suggest, try it out, and put on hold the other elements, you might have saved me a lot of money and headaches (new install of my FSX...). Thanks a lot for sharing your positive experience.

Mitch, I was about to boost my setup and already had identified a new CPU, MBO and GPU (I also own a 680GTX and was aiming at the 1070), until I read your thread... Now I will buy the new GPU first as you suggest, try it out, and put on hold the other elements, you might have saved me a lot of money and headaches (new install of my FSX...). Thanks a lot for sharing your positive experience.

You are quite welcome.  Clearly, both my GTX285 and even the great GTX680 was NOT passing on all that my CPU was passing on down the line.  I know, we always have read that most flight sim platforms are CPU constipated.  I no longer hold that popular view.  I think for a long time, our CPU's were just fine...and it was actually the pre-Pascal architecture that was in fact, the true bottleneck in performance.  My system screams now...with even a lock down of 33 FPS (I want to see a steady 30 plus 10 percent for latency in Vsync if I should set it as on), and with the 1070 I have, there is no problem...and please remember, we must all state in how we have our various sims set up.  Mine are all at slider-right/max rendering settings.

For the very first time, ever...I have been able to run XP at the Extreme resolution setting (the highest) and (BLOW ME AWAY) run at 60-100 FPS, depending on aircraft or scene intensity...but to have 60 FPS now, with my purchased tubes...never had that been until this card rested in the slot!)  So...NOT CPU bound...but GPU bound!!!!!

Same for both my P3D' versions and FSX/DX10. They are all as smooth as butter, in the above freq's you see my Core and Memory Clocks running in, with the Adaptive Power Setting in the desktop nVidia driver 372.90 software mask.  The Adaptive is critical to top and steady Core and Memory performance.  Prefer Max Power is a heat seeking missile, and Optimal is actually working totally against your card...seeking to always tramp down the running Core and Memory Clock frequencies to drop power consumption, and therefore heat reduction. If you have a high-end Pascal card...I would hope that you have a very robust cooling system on it.  On the FTW, it is rated as one of the very best for what it is supposed to do...and you can see, that I am running, like it was a liquid cooled solution. Nope...totally air....and at no higher than 68-69C even with an overclock as I am running.

Jean-Claude, for SURE,  only replace your video card, and then take the time to fully explore the Pascal Scream Zone, lol....you might say as I did..."well...I'll be (you know what)"!  Yeppers....you'll mutter that under your breath, LOLOLOLOL!

Good luck, for I know you will experience it.  If you get an EVGA FTW  1070...I can personally attest that you will!  The card is simply granite-stable.

Oh...try my overclock as you see it here...and you will with ADAPTIVE Power setting, see easily, for the CORE, 2100-2200 MHz...totally up there with the 1080, and as stable as a two ton boulder on the ground... :) For FSX, the Core runs around 1697 MHz with the Memory at 4360 (remember that this is DDR) so it truly is in the actual 8xxx's). For P3D v3.4.9, my CORE can run up to 2200MHz on some very intense ORBX properties. I have all my three Graphic sliders to the right.  BTW...the ORBX world looks deadly, with all autogen and hard-gen features portrayed...and with this card...smooth as glass, as you float over them!!!!  :))))

Cheers,

Happy flying...

Mitch

Silly me, here I was using REX 32 bit water animation.  Replaced that with their DXT1 version and voila, no more coastal area FPS problems!  So just a little less icing on that cake, but it's still mighty fine....now back to eating it!

The 1070 is the beast!!!

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Silly me, here I was using REX 32 bit water animation.  Replaced that with their DXT1 version and voila, no more coastal area FPS problems!  So just a little less icing on that cake, but it's still mighty fine....now back to eating it!

The 1070 is the beast!!!

Cool, cool!   

About the 'beast'....oh yeah....HIGH-FIVE!

I found the EVGA 1070 GTX FTW at my dealer's shop, he recommends the EVGA hybrid water-cooler that's sold as an accessory, even though I already have an air cooler on my PC, from your message above I understand it's a must, so I guess I'll buy the package.

I am going to make comparison test flights such as Aerosoft EDDF v2 to EGLL with the FSLabs A320X (all of which are performance killers) with my 680 GTX and the 1070 GTX noting down my FPS on both flights with identical settings (I also run DX10), that should make for some interesting reading...

Many thanks again.

I found the EVGA 1070 GTX FTW at my dealer's shop, he recommends the EVGA hybrid water-cooler that's sold as an accessory, even though I already have an air cooler on my PC, from your message above I understand it's a must, so I guess I'll buy the package.

I am going to make comparison test flights such as Aerosoft EDDF v2 to EGLL with the FSLabs A320X (all of which are performance killers) with my 680 GTX and the 1070 GTX noting down my FPS on both flights with identical settings (I also run DX10), that should make for some interesting reading...

Many thanks again.

Hi Jean-Claude,

Honestly, I don't know if you really need the hybrid cooler (if it will end up costing you more money over an air-cooled-only FTW model).....mine is only with the air-cooled ACX 3.0 that comes built into the FTW.  With my overclock, that gets me up to 2200 MHz on the CORE and 4400 MHz (8800) on the MEMORY at only 68-69C...you probably only need the straight FTW model.  So just to be clear, I do NOT have the hybrid...but the full-air cooled FTW model.  Please note, that there is a difference between the ACX Cooler v3.0 even between the model down from the FTW, which is the SuperClocked.  They are not exactly the same design lay out, even though they are both of the newer ACX v3.0. The FTW has larger components, and are of the new full straight heat-pipe, latest design. The FTW and the Classified parts, have the reserved, highest-quality chips installed by EVGA, for purposes of solid over-clock and longevity of product. EVGA, along with every other manufacturer , use a rated bin step-up parsing of chips from their economy lower-end units, right up to their couple of top-end tier, (and higher cost) performance models.  They all do....for EVGA, the FTW and the Classified model have the hand-bin, reserved production chips guaranteed to Pascal-production specs.

I had an EVGA SuperClocked GTX680, but this time went for the FTW model. No regrets for having spent the higher amount for it. No regrets at all.

When running FSX/DX10, the fans don't even come on!!!!  Only with P3D and XP, and even then, only at 700-1,100 RPM. 

Clear, thanks, I ordered the GPU, the cooler will wait until I experience the card on my PC and check the temp. Delivery to-morrow...

Clear, thanks, I ordered the GPU, the cooler will wait until I experience the card on my PC and check the temp. Delivery to-morrow...

There will be a grin, wider than the Grand Canyon, in the first few minutes....have fun! :)

Important:  Please use the Adaptive Power Management setting within the nVidia driver suite you intend to use.  This is very important! :)

Not the Prefer Maximum Power, or the Optimal. You will get degraded video card performance (MHz stability) with either of them in play.

Lake Tahoe, a la' your impending shiny new graphics solution:

2016_9_26_8_12_49_526.png

I can now run all over ORBX's Southern California, and with my locked 'burned-in' 33 FPS, at max sim settings, whereby with my prior GTX680, was an absolute no-go.

2016_9_26_16_4_18_241.png