Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Getting back into DCS

I used DCS for a few weeks about two years ago but am keen to get back into it.  I have downloaded the 1.5 version.

When I use external view, the image is very blurred - almost like the the whole image has a heat haze.  I have a 4k 55' tv and a 980Ti GTX.  Can anyone share or recommend settings for similar hardware?

Of the payware aircraft available, what is everyone's favourite and why?  I'm really keen on getting the Albatros and the Hawk for starters. 

That could be DOF under settings I think and it chews up fps. Look up the settings.

My all time favourite is the Mig-21 for me no other module comes close. The L-39 is also an amazing module, can't say the about the Hawk as I don't have it.

It all depends on what you want, you want systems than the A10C, you want great manuerverability than the Flanker (Su-27 ) , you want pure power F-15 , you want great props then all three WW2 birds , you want helis than Mi-8 / Huey.   

I don't have the Gazelle / M2k  / F-5E and wouldn't  anyway be interested in them as I have enough of birds in a cage.

Hope it helps.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

That could be DOF under settings I think and it chews up fps. Look up the settings.

Yh it sure is chewing frames.  It's a slide show in external view.  Excuse my ignorance, what is DOF?  I'm not currently at my sim.

Yh it sure is chewing frames.  It's a slide show in external view.  Excuse my ignorance, what is DOF?  I'm not currently at my sim.

Depth of field IIRC switch it off.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Depth of field IIRC switch it off.

Great, thanks

Of the payware aircraft available, what is everyone's favourite and why?  I'm really keen on getting the Albatros and the Hawk for starters. 

Mig-21 coz "as real as it gets". L-39C coz of multi-crew & you get 2 versions C & ZA.

M-2000C coz FBW & good dog-fighter. A-10C coz it has best A2G capability's. + all helicopters. Don't get the Hawk, coz many bugs & incomplete.

Best is to watch you-tube videos & look in the forums for what you like.

The helos are great, my favs are the Gazelle and Mi8, but you'll get the most of them if you have rudder pedals.

The Mig21, A10C and M2000 are my favourite when it comes to planes.

Also there is a complete retexture of the Caucasus map available for free (from starway I think)

I don't use DCS any longer. Together with IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad which I both used for more than a year - actually becoming an addict ! - they're, by far, the best flight simulators I ever used in as far as flight dynamics go.

The helicopter modules are probably my preferred. Had them all less the Gazelle, but soon gave the Ka50 away and kept only the uh-1h and the mi-8 - they're both simply brilliant! 

This is btw an excellent example of license management - I wish all flight simulation games were made this way where we can share our licenses with other users - all of my modules would be resting uselessly in my account at ED, just like my PMDGs, RealAirs, A2As, Aerosofts... Thanksfully I was able to share them all with other users, from India to the Netherlands :-) 

The ww2 fighters are also very good, but not so good imho as what  IL2-BoS offers for ww2 prop fighters flight dynamics - I still think IL2 BoS goes even deeper in simulating the flight dynamics and overall physics modeling of powerful prop aircraft. Of course their systems simulation is inferior in terms of possible interaction with some aircraft systems through clickable cockpits compared to DCS's offer, but nothing that I considered a show stopper.

Unfortunately, both games are based in War, and Air Combat, and I actually hate both - one of the reasons I never even considered joining the Portuguese Air Force and try my career as a pilot instead... I got so addictive about air combat that I remember leaving work for home and trying to get there as fast as possible, even skipping dinner, for a furball in the skies of il2 or dcs...

Then, both games, contrarily to msfs, x-plane, elite, psx offer a very limited World coverage, and no civil aircraft, although we can forget about the military aircraft and simply fly them all as if they were "museum" aircraft, flying around, doing aerobatics, and with the helkis even simulating rescue operations.

Weather modeling, another area I seriously look into in any flight simulator, is also very limited in DCS compared to my civil sims. IL2 does have a very good wind and turbulence model though!

IL2 offers precise Sun and Moon ephemeris, including the Moon phases!  DCS tries to but has bugs in it, just like X-Plane.

One thing they ( ED ) mentioned sometime ago was the development of a modern GPS unit that could be acquired as an add-on module and installed in their aircraft. That would be interesting because, at least in the Crimea map, navigation is rather limited.

DCS and IL2 are like a Paradox to me - the best ever flight dynamics, and I avoid using them :-( because of their main purpose - War.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

"Of the payware aircraft available, what is everyone's favourite and why?  I'm really keen on getting the Albatros and the Hawk for starters. "

The Northrop F5 is very easy to use, so good looking and a blast to fly(and also the M 2000) :dance:  

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

The Ka50 can be used with JTAC...thanks to Turbohog's mod. This is one of the original simulations in DCS and is a systems complete aircraft. They never did the Apache, but flying this Russian attack helicopter is quite an experience! It demands that the pilot learn the flight dynamics of a dual rotor helo. To fly it successfully in a Campaign is a real skill.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uNSQJlIZwsI

The A10 is also a systems complete simulation. The weapons systems have to be learned and kept current, with regular practise. Try not flying one for a few months and see what you can remember? An acquired taste, your flying an extremely detailed simulation, nothing is left out!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL9A6425B5CB89F5E3&v=Ued4B_m1-xE

The Su27 is not a fully detailed simulation, aircraft systems wise, however they modelled the weapons systems sufficiently to give us a glimpse of how deadly the passive infra red tracking can be. Fly this in the sim with IR "ambush" tactics and you forget its not as detailed as the A10. The Helmet Mounted Sight is modelled.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL9A6425B5CB89F5E3&v=Q2t55Mquw3M

The Huey and Sabre are vintage and take you back to Vietnam/Korea.

they're, by far, the best flight simulators I ever used in as far as flight dynamics go.

+1

Also getting better! When the WW2 maps come out with the unified simulation, we should be in for a treat. This simulation lends itself to VR headsets. The frame rate is always consistent on modern hardware. However, with no radar in WW2, we are going to need the next-generation of VR to provide the definition to "see" the enemy at a distance. These are typically a couple of pixels at a mile....High Definition will be a must have!

Best Regards

David.