I bought a Asus PG348Q Ultra widescreen monitor today. Last week I bought a EVGA GTX 1080 8 gb card. I've had it 4 about six hours and it has transformed, everything. Flight Simulation is just totally built for this combination. I'm sight impaired and the resolution is crisp and well worth the huge cost if you're sharing my affliction. Seriously, it's a lot of money but this is the best upgrade I've done in 30 years of computing.

It might sound like I'm skiting but I'm not. Bottom line: If you want a completely transformed system, this combination is freakin unbelievable and I'm not exaggerating. Heads up. This is the way to go.

The card is churning some excellent frame rates but it's in the rendering I've noticed most difference.  Happy Camper.

Nice. I have a 22inch monitor from 4 yrs ago and contemplating a 28inch 4k monitor. Wondering if my gtx 970 will give good frame rates.

Nice. I have a 22inch monitor from 4 yrs ago and contemplating a 28inch 4k monitor. Wondering if my gtx 970 will give good frame rates.

I tossed up between a 4k monitor and the one I purchased. 4k are better but require some serious graphical computing power. So does the Asus but the 21.9 aspect ratio has me completely sold on this format. The future of monitors I believe. My advice would be to upgrade to a powerful GPU. before contemplating my monitor or the excellent Acer equivalent.

Will you be using your monitor for other day to day things? I'd like to know how you get along with that aspect ratio with web use and documents etc please!

Phil

Will you be using your monitor for other day to day things? I'd like to know how you get along with that aspect ratio with web use and documents etc please!

Phil

I can fit 3 full documents side by side, I can have 20 tabs open. I work a lot in photoshop and coming from 2 monitors to one has been one of my most pleasant computing experiences. If your graphics card has grunt, This monitor, you will take to your grave, as I will.

What happens with flightsim, do you loose a lot of the sky height, or does the image get stretched?

You mention Photoshop, I do a lot of photo editing and losing the hight is one thing that concerns me. What aspect ratio are you taking your photos at now, are you still using 16:9 or have/will you changed to the ratio of the new monitor?

I'm aware that this is moving away from flightsim  therefore, if you want to pm me, that's fine!

Thanks a lot

Phil

What aspect ratio are you taking your photos at now, are you still using 16:9 or have/will you changed to the ratio of the new monitor?

I shoot in RAW with a Nikon D90. The 3440x1440 resolution does not change any aspect ratios it's merely 3 times sharper. The screen is 100% RGB gamut. Some have complained about the subtle curve of the screen for photo editing and illustrator work but I have not experienced anything negative to date. Back to the flight simming: I have not taken a flight since I bought. I spend a lot of time ogling scenery and aircraft models. Flying tonight, though.

Jon

I run P3d on a Samsung 34" Ultrawide @ 30htz with a 780ti 3gb and 6700 Skylake processor no problems whatsoever.

I tossed up between a 4k monitor and the one I purchased. 4k are better but require some serious graphical computing power. 

I also ran P3d on my 55" 4K Samsung tv again at 30htz without a problem. As to 4K being better that is a matter of personal opinion, as far as resolution is concerned the pixel dot pitch is slightly better on the ultrawides.

Mick

I considered one of these 22:9 monitors when I last upgraded but decided the vertical dimension was too narrow only about the same as my old 1920:1200 monitors I used for many years. So I went, initially for a 32 inch 1440p but now have a 4K 40 inch. Quite happy with is setup runs just fine with a 980ti gpu and it even ran almost as well with my old 770 4gb gpu. Claimed gpu requirements for 4K are very exaggerated. Now looking for something bigger that isn't a TV so far without much success. The only one I have found is a 43 inch version of my current 40 inch Phillips.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I considered one of these 22:9 monitors when I last upgraded but decided the vertical dimension was too narrow only about the same as my old 1920:1200 monitors I used for many years. So I went, initially for a 32 inch 1440p but now have a 4K 40 inch. Quite happy with is setup runs just fine with a 980ti gpu and it even ran almost as well with my old 770 4gb gpu. Claimed gpu requirements for 4K are very exaggerated. Now looking for something bigger that isn't a TV so far without much success. The only one I have found is a 43 inch version of my current 40 inch Phillips.

Bruceb

I bet it looks seriously, great and that you're justifiably content with your choice. I fully accept and acknowledge that. 21.9 adds more dimension to scenery products. Nothing can make the work of ORBX or any scenery product, for that matter, shine, as it can on a 21.9 aspect ratio monitor. If you are sight impaired, as I am, the Asus p348q, is not only an ips display, curved monitor and very expensive. It is worth the money. Flight Simulation is built for 21.9 monitor. I am also more than happy with the evga 1080 driving the graphics. I make a bold statement in saying, I believe 21.9 is the evolution of monitors. The 3440 x 1440 resolution of my 100 hz monitor makes things so crisp and clear. The added ability of the screen to eliminate 'blue' light lets you leave the monitor after a session, with relaxed peepers. It's unbelievable. I've had mine for a few weeks now and my flight simulation experience becomes better and better.

Jon