Sign in to follow this  
ger

GTX980TI or SLI GTX980TI or single GTX1080

Hi guys,

i m thinking about upgrading my graphics card for a few weeks now , reading all the different opinions but can't really make up my mind so any real help is appreciated.

At this moment i have a oc cpu , i7 4790K at 4,7 with a MSI gaming GTX980 TI, frames set at unlimited in the PMDG 777 cockpit at stand 121 at aerosoft EGLL are 32 , tv monitor 4k 3840x2160 , all settings in p3d maxed out.

After some tips for testing , ( resizing the screen and notice the frames ) i can see that before the resizing frames are 32, after resizing the screen my frames go to 43 so 11 frames more , with all the same settings , same time of day and same parking spot at EGLL.

Does this mean that i should ( could ) benefit from a upgrading in the graphics card and what is the best way to upgrade , a single GTX1080 or a second GTX980TI and go for 980TI SLI

I don't think that upgrading my cpu is needed , i have my 4790K running at 4.7 and don't think a 6700K will be much faster , running the monitor at 60 HZ and i get stutters ,

Thanks in advance ,

Since no one has offered their opinion, to date, I'll offer mine...

It was my experience, even with an older CPU edition...that until I got the 1070, it was the graphic card...that was the bottleneck...NOT the CPU cycles feeding my prior 285, or my 680. Nope!

I have my i7-975 Extreme running in OC at 4.1 GHz, with no problem doing it. No thermal throttle.

Finally, it is matched with a card that can process all its output in live time...so...I suggest you, as you are thinking already...to invest in a graphic card based upgrade solution...and let your present CPU flex it stunted muscles!  That's my opinion.

Cheers,

Mitch

Hi Mitch thanks for your reaction,

0ver 100 views and 1 reaction...

do you think i should go for 2 GTX980ti or 1 GTX1080

I would also recommend reading the section in Rob's AVSIM P3D Guide entitled, 'Hardware, Overclocking, Performance', . Starts on page 138.  

I cannot believe you are running your system, overclocked at 4.7GHz, with a 4K TV monitor, with all P3D settings set to max.  And now you are talking about going with a SLI setup with GTX1080's.  Yikes!  You are getting stutters because you have your settings maxed out. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Mitch thanks for your reaction,

0ver 100 views and 1 reaction...

do you think i should go for 2 GTX980ti or 1 GTX1080

From all the extensive due diligence I did, while waiting for the prices to come down...if you are going to run with a 4K setup...then you DO need one 1080.  If you are running with 1440p or HD (1920x1200) then a 1070 is what is called for.  You only really need a 1080, over a 1070, for very high res 4K or Ultra monitors/TV's.   Being that I run in HD, the clear choice was a 1070, of which I am pumping out 90-100 FPS with P3D, FSX, and XP cranked to the right.  If I were going to do that with a 4K, or Ultra setup...then my FPS would be around 45...as per a really good comparison video on YouTube...  If I can find it again...I will post (edit) to this thread.

For your usage...one 1080 would be 'killa'.... :) 

OK...here is that great vid comparing a 1070 vs. 1080 and the best usage of either...

1070 and save the $$$. More than enough for flight sims.

Unless he will predominately run with 4K...then a 1080...see the vid on comparison, above...

@ Jim..Hi Jimi wasn t speaking of sli1080 but sli980ti or 1 single gtx1080 since i allready got 1 gtx980ti bit i really runnibg p3d at 4.7 hyperthreading of no AM scenery settings maxed exvept the shadows and dynamic reflections AS2016 clouds at 1024 , with no stutters .The resolution of my Samsung tv is brought back from 60Hz to 30 Hz in P3D vsynch on tripple buff off and frames unlimited , no settings in nvidia inspector and in nvidia control panel the same settings as Rob again no stutters , can get met cpu at 4.9 but don t see much difference so kept it at 4.7

SLI will not be a huge benefit, it's most useful when used with SGSS AA and dense clouds.

I'm not aware of any computer that can run ALL P3D settings maxed out at 4K with add-ons and sustain 60+ FPS in order to have a stutter free experience with 60Hz monitor refresh ... if you run NO VC, you might be able to achieve those FPS goals at 1080p.

You'll not see a huge difference between a 970 and a 1080 GTX, I saw best case around 13% FPS improvement in P3D.

Cheers, Rob.

ok all,

thanks for sharing your thoughts about this, maybe it s better to wait a year or so with upgrading

Thanks again

SLI will not be a huge benefit, it's most useful when used with SGSS AA and dense clouds.

I'm not aware of any computer that can run ALL P3D settings maxed out at 4K with add-ons and sustain 60+ FPS in order to have a stutter free experience with 60Hz monitor refresh ... if you run NO VC, you might be able to achieve those FPS goals at 1080p.

You'll not see a huge difference between a 970 and a 1080 GTX, I saw best case around 13% FPS improvement in P3D.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm presently running 1 GTX 970 with my 6700K at 4.7. From your post it seems it would be a good thing for me to add another one to help with clouds. I'm running the lowest ASCA resolution with 4SGSS and in dense clouds fps are taking quite the hit compared to clear sky.

I'm also curious about VR, would 2 970 SLI be and advantage?

Thanks

Forgot to mention I'm running a 27 inch at 1440

I was able to run a 4K system quite satisfactorily with just a 770 4gb gpu and have only seen a minor gain with a 980ti but still very good. Hard to see what additional improvement there would be in going to a 1080 for an additional $600 or more.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."