Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

P3D 3.4 Experience Thread

I guess there is no formal way to obtain 3.3.5 installers as LM no longer keep them officially. Any other legal ways available?

Have you Checked in your ProgramData > Package Cache folder for any of the 3.3.5 Installers, Its possible there still in there 

On Facebook there are many, many  people that updated client only and are not having any issues. That is the way P3D was designed by LM, , so that one does not have to do a total reinstall each time an update is released. Now if someone wants to format their HD, reload their OS, etc. etc, and reinstall everything, I guess they like doing things like that. I don't like fixing things that aren't broken. 

That's how it was designed, yes, but in reality it doesn't always work perfectly because of any number of different reasons. A full, clean, install will always be less prone to problems than an install that has had various different bits updated over time.

That's how it was designed, yes, but in reality it doesn't always work perfectly because of any number of different reasons. A full, clean, install will always be less prone to problems than an install that has had various different bits updated over time.

Digital data is digital data. If you overwrite a working file with the same file downloaded at a later time, the result is exactly the same. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If you overwrite a working file with the same file downloaded at a later time, the result is exactly the same. 

In theory yes, but I don't think it always translates that way in the 'clean' vs 'update' scenarios. For what it's worth I've clean installed my 3.4 and have no issues whatsoever at this time - since the day it was released.

I had a broken installation of 3.3 with some dodgy misplaced textures so I went for the full clean install of P3D v3.4. I don't have a top end machine, i5 and GtX 750ti. My settings are medium to high, locked frames at 30.

I have now reinstalled some of my ORBX software and all seems well. I've done some long flights across Europe in the Alabeo SkyWagon, all very enjoyable with no problems

I haven't noticed any improved performance and I still get the periodic stutters when panning in outside view but I guess that's down to my low end machine. It might be my imagination but the ground textures seem to be duller, less bright. The HDR is not an option for me because of the performance hit.

The 2 main extras with this version (for me anyway) are the cinematographer option and the real time airspace graphics. OK the cinematography option is not as good as some payware addons but it is a vast improvement in ease of camera control over what I had previously.

My main grumble with all versions is the air traffic settings. If I have 5 to 10 AI's around I don't have much of a problem, the periodic stutters increase slightly but it's tolerable.......why they haven't given use an upper limit setting yet is beyond me.

Overall I'm happy with P3D V3.4 

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

Digital data is digital data. If you overwrite a working file with the same file downloaded at a later time, the result is exactly the same. 

That's the theory. Reality however, tends to throw you some curve balls. You don't work in software, do you?

In theory yes, but I don't think it always translates that way in the 'clean' vs 'update' scenarios. For what it's worth I've clean installed my 3.4 and have no issues whatsoever at this time - since the day it was released.

Quite

One thing I noticed when I was running 3.4 was how lots of textures were black even when I had plenty of VAS left.

In some cases they would transform into the correct colors after a couple of seconds but in other situations (and especially if available VAS was running low) they would remain all black.

For all of you currently on 3.4, what are your experiences in this matter?

Richard Åsberg

This is not just a 3.4 issue for me.  I also had it with 3.3 and 3.2.  When panning around, especially at an airport, other aircraft on VATSIM are black for about a second and then load up the textures.  The same for some of the building textures.    This is not particularly in high VAS usage situations either.

This is not just a 3.4 issue for me.  I also had it with 3.3 and 3.2.  When panning around, especially at an airport, other aircraft on VATSIM are black for about a second and then load up the textures.  The same for some of the building textures.    This is not particularly in high VAS usage situations either.

I know exactly what you mean Erich and I had that too in previous versions but in 3.4 it was in a totally different league...

Sure, it was the same effect/symptom with black textures but it was much more common and for instance on my last flight into ESSA using 3.4 all of the airport was all black including all buildings and even the runway ahead of me and the surroundings. Never seen anything like it before!

Richard Åsberg

I have to agree with ErichB, same problem in 3.3.5. I would notice this at the beginning of a flight so VAS was never a problem.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

And I did client only and mine runs as smooth as silk. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

all of the airport was all black including all buildings and even the runway ahead of me and the surroundings. Never seen anything like it before!

Mmmm, I've not (yet) had that.  

Being a TrackIR user I see this often. Black textures on buildings and AI aircraft when panning. I guess this is a priority issue where texture loading gets in the background of other processes. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Being a TrackIR user I see this often. Black textures on buildings and AI aircraft when panning

TIR user here too

Being a TrackIR user I see this often. Black textures on buildings and AI aircraft when panning. I guess this is a priority issue where texture loading gets in the background of other processes. 

I use Track IR and have never seen that. I am flying right now, and tried rapidly turning my head left and right, and no black textures. Now that being said, I never added all these texture tweaks that people are using, so maybe that is what is causing the problems.