Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

P3D 3.4 Experience Thread

May I asked why you changed your NVidia driver?  Were you having a problem with an earlier one?  I ask because I'm reluctant to change something if it isn't broken.  Thanks!

May I asked why you changed your NVidia driver?  Were you having a problem with an earlier one?  I ask because I'm reluctant to change something if it isn't broken.  Thanks!

Been simming for decades. Every time a new driver is released, some install it and then have issues and have to roll back. If I find one that works well, I don't mess  with it. No sense fixing something until it breaks. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I get no change in VAS used with my six core and HT On or Off. What I do get with HT Off is an overall drop in system performance I'm not happy with. Best to set HT on and use an appropriate Affinity Mask for P3D.

+1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I get no change in VAS used with my six core and HT On or Off. What I do get with HT Off is an overall drop in system performance I'm not happy with. Best to set HT on and use an appropriate Affinity Mask for P3D.

But you might have an overall higher temperature of the CPU by turning HT On, is it true?

When you say overall drop in system performance you mean other applications or P3D frame rates?

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

If the CPU does more work it gets hotter, and it does more work in HT mode. So if you have an overclock then depending on how far up the curve it is with HT off, turning on HT might overheat it, especially during scenario loading. Overall system is more zesty with HT on, and with very careful testing can show 3-5% on P3D throughput and overall smoothness, but don't see any fps gain to speak of maybe one or two.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Just my opinion but I would say that if you cannot run your CPU with HT on due to resultant high temperatures, your overclock is too high or your CPU cooling system is inadequate, or both.

Aftermarket CPU cooling systems are priced reasonably for the most part and do perform better than the standard fan/heat sink that comes in the Intel box.

I find it illogical (with respect) to turn off HT if the motive is only to keep an o/clocked CPU's temperature within limits. It is like removing a few cylinders from your cars engine but adding high octane fuel to the tank in the hope of better performance! ;)

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Not really... HT creates "synthetic" cores. By turning it off you're not removing any "cylinder" from the engine - you're just running it clean and "old school". Nothing wrong with that unless you need your computer to perform very intensive tasks with software that can utilise HT.

In FSX and P3D CPU speed is still important if you desire to run complex addons with high graphic settings.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Not really... HT creates "synthetic" cores. By turning it off you're not removing any "cylinder" from the engine - you're just running it clean and "old school". Nothing wrong with that unless you need your computer to perform very intensive tasks with software that can utilise HT.

The use of HT is not depending on the software you run. There are multiple (OSI) layers between application and Hyperthreading.

HT always gives more performance as the cores are better fed with input.