Sign in to follow this  
2m0ycg

Newbie Needing Information

Hello everone on AVSIM,

I have been away from flight simulation for a very long time due to not having a descent PC to run any sort of sim on. Today i ordered a brand new custom PC designed for flight simulation which is expected to be delivered by the end of the week and i really need some advice before i start spending money on sim software. 

I am either going to install FSX or P3D and i'm really not sure which to install although i'm in favor of P3D or if my new PC will run P3D so i'd appreciate any help and information/advice from you guys who have been using either. 

Below are the specs of my new flight sim PC...

VR Headset: Oculus Rift VR Headset

• Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake CPU, 4 Cores, 4.0 - 4.2GHz Overclocked by upto 20%
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB 
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H80i V2 CPU Cooler
  • Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste
  • Case Cooling: Quiet Cooling Fans Upgrade Pack
  • Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING Motherboard
  • Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Memory (4 x 8GB Sticks)
  • First Hard Drive: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO Solid State Drive
  • Secondary Hard Drive: Seagate 4TB SSHD Hybrid Drive
  • Additional Hard Drives: Seagate 4TB SSHD Hybrid Drive
  • RAID Configuration: RAID 0 Configuration
  • Optical Drive: Lite On External DVD+/-RW Drive
  • Power Supply: Corsair RM850x 80 PLUS Gold 850W PSU
  • Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio
  • Networking Upgrades: Asus 802.11ac 867Mbps PCIe WiFi Card
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Thanks in advance.

Callum

•  

That system should run P3D just fine. RAID will be of no use at all as far as P3D is concerned. Basically, start out with whatever P3D sets as default and try it out for a bit, then start adjusting settings to your liking. Initially, P3D need no tweaks. Get it where you like it and then you can explore HT and Affinity mask settings if you feel the need.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

thats a good pc, you won't have any trouble running it, if you have steam, there is a free tool you can download and it will tell you how well it will run. http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/

i have considered buying it when i can afford it, 600.00 is alot of money for a toy, but i have read amazing things about vr.

Welcome back and welcome to the forum(s). That's a really nice system. You shouldn't have any trouble at all with P3D. On my rig P3D gives about 10% less in framerates than FSX on the same detail settings but the graphics are soooooooo much better. You won't have any framerate issues with P3D as long as you don't try to max all the sliders (that is, try to run maximum detail...nobody can do that successfully IMNSHO). Plus, P3D is currently supported...FSX is a long-abandoned product. I'd go with P3D.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thanks for your help! Looks like im going for P3D then.. Can't wait!!