Sign in to follow this  
sfgiants13

Expected FPS With My System

Around a month ago I built a system for P3D after being away from the hobby for 10 years.  Honestly I expected great FPS even with a bunch of addons such as PMDG aircraft, AS16, complex airports such as those by FSDT, etc.  I expected perfect textures, no stutters, and basically a perfect experience.  This is what i get for watching a bunch of youtube videos lol.  Now that my expectations have come back down to earth a bit, I'm wondering what type of performance I can really expect with my system.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/sfgiants13/saved/#view=zNNLrH

I have the following addons installed:

ORBX Base, OpenLC

UTX USA 2

AS 16 & REX texture direct

PMDG 737, Ejets v2, Qualitysim 757

FSDT airports, T2G SEA, LatinVFR RDU

Mytraffic 6 set to 10% AI

I can get around 20 FPS at FSDT KLAS in the ERJ 175 with some clouds, 10% AI, and 5% road traffic.  My shadows are off.  I've attached photos of my other settings.  I was expecting a lot more honestly, but I realize now that's not going to happen.  I get crap performance at DFW for whatever reason, but other addon airports I can usually stay stable at 25 FPS.  There's some blurries but it's manageable.  My P3D.cfg file is mostly untouched.  

What type of FPS can I expect with these settings?  I've been toying with the sim for a month trying to get it perfect and I've completed a whopping 1 flight.  It seems like a never ending cycle of trying to get it perfect, getting it decent, something going wrong, then starting fresh with a new .cfg file.  Any suggestions you would make to help tweak my system a bit?

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

Have you overclocked your CPU?  That would be the first thing to do.  Video card is ok, but not great.

Those you tube videos...  some of those people run the sim at less than 1x (like 1/2 time rate), then speed it back up when they put out the video.  You get less stutters and better perf at 1/2 rate hehe.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I did the auto overclock with says. It overclocks it about 20% to 4ghz

Video card is ok, but not great.

Aren't the new 1060s as fast the as the GTX 980s? Should be more than enough to handle this engine, I would think.

Aren't the new 1060s as fast the as the GTX 980s? Should be more than enough to handle this engine, I would think.

that what I would think as well

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

The problem is that it's CPU-limited. A 3.5 Ghz CPU, even with a moderate OC,  is not going to give much better performance that that seen no matter what the .cfg settings. The 1060 is more than adequate for the job given the other system specs.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Card is fine - but the biggest problem is still the CPU - the 6600k is great but a lot of people are at 4.4 - 4.6 GHz - that's how you'll get the 30 fps with addons

My dated system struggles to get 20 with complex addons

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I considered doing the 6700k but most people agreed that the extra cost wasn't worth the few FPS I would've gained.  Oh well now I know where I can upgrade in the future when I decide to.  I still feel like I should be getting better performance than what I'm getting though.

I'd say for 4GHz and those addons /settings , 20 fps is spot on.  With those settings I'd probably get 15-17.  I'm at 4GHz 2500K / GTX 970

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |