Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

what would you say is the worst fps killer?

Good day,

I'm just wondering what are peoples opinion on the worst FPS killer would be? example, perhaps the "shadows" etc.

I'm only asking as I have recently installed a far superior graphics card to what I originally had in my system, and ever since doing so it seems my performance went down a little, where i was expecting it to go up slightly. The card installed is a GTX 660 2gb, I know its pretty low grade technology to today's standards, but i used to have a ge force 9800, so i consider the 660 a step up. believe it or not with the 9800 i was able to run the aerosoft a320 with around 25 frames, now with the 660 i only get 12 frames. Overall even when using default aircraft it seems my performance went down slightly after installing the 660.

Just troubleshooting at the moment, as I was installing the card, I had it in mind to get the pmdg 737, now ill hold off until I can figure this little quirk out.

Thanks

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Gerry,

re: the GTX660. Did you delete the shades folder in %appdata%\roaming\prepar3d v3 after installing the new video car ?

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Building shadows are hard on the GPU, but in terms of fps you are talking about items that have a dramatic effect on the CPU only unless the GPU is already overloaded.

I would have to say Building Autogen is very hard on CPU, i run that at sparse for Jet flying and normal for G.A.

It is a folly to place a better GPU in your system and expect more fps, given the current status of the simulation software, the cpu speed reflects mostly in the fps, adding a new/better gpu gives you more chance of adding additional eye candy or better AA for no effect on fps

I can remember when I replaced a 9800, I was disappointed also. The replacement (and there were no 660's back then) was bottlenecked severely by my processor.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Gerry,

re: the GTX660. Did you delete the shades folder in %appdata%\roaming\prepar3d v3 after installing the new video car ?

Hi,

No I didn't delete anything in the %appdata% folder, Should I?

Thanks everyone for all the comments and info, perhaps it's my cou no up to snuff for this card, but what I'm thinking is that why would the frames drop using the same cpu as before?

Thanks again, any other input would be appreciated.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

AI traffic for sure, too bad I *NEED* my UT2 for immersion.  I only turn it off for VATSIM.

spacer.png

I only turn it off for VATSIM.

Chris, do you use UT2 for model matching?

have to agree with others. AI kills my frames

No I didn't delete anything in the %appdata% folder, Should I?

It would help after installing a new video card. Path is "C:\Users\<your name>\appdata\local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3" Delete the "Shaders" folder. It will be rebuilt the next time you run P3D.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Well, In my personal experience I got 10 fps more only setting traffic road to 0. And yes, AI traffic is another killer, but you can use Traffic Manager and see the difference!

I did a bunch of tests on FPS at one point last year in P3D and the single biggest FPS killer was road traffic, especially in an urban area.  AI traffic also can cause an issue (I always recommend the AI traffic manager which helps immensely).  Other than those two biggies, it's mostly a cumulative effect of many other things (shadows, autogen, etc) but not sure any one of them on their own causes as big of a hit as the two I mentioned.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I would so like AI traffic that has aircrafts just taxing around at the airport and not up in the air.. if that would save FPS.  

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter