Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

NOTAM--two very important W10 tips, you will thank me for!

Tip one.  You probably have them, and don't even know it...

What is that?  Corrupted Protected System Files!

Use this page info to repair the situation.  Most people have some System DLL's corrupted from their upgrade from W7, or outright W10 clean installation.  Use the information on this page, and follow the instructions, exactly...and see if you do.  

In my case...I was surprised to see the report at the end of the Window Command cycle, that I in fact DID have some corrupted Protected System Files that were indeed repaired by the files back-up cache that W10 keeps for this purpose.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tip Two:  You have intermittent USB problems, in that either your added USB devices outright do NOT work, with W10, and don't show up, or get recognized, or sometimes when turning on the system, they do work, or show up, and other times, do NOT...when starting or trying to use in a USB port.

Here's the main culprit:  W10, on USB HUBS, that get installed on the system when you add your USB WD My Books, other drives, yokes, flight sticks...whatever...is that when you do install them...W10 checks off the box for POWER MANAGEMENT, and allows W10, to TURN OFF...yes, TURN OFF and disconnect your equipment to 'save power'...even at times you want them to stay active.

What to do....here is what to do.

Open up your DEVICES window...expand your USB SECTION, and left DOUBLE-CLICK on any USB HUB entry.  You will see at the far right, a Power Management Tab.

Click on that tab, and check to see if the box that allows W10 to TURN OFF your USB equipment, (like a WD My Book, or USB 3.0 card, flight yoke, etc...) is in fact checked on.  W10 by default, when you install a USB client, DOES check this off...remember, W10 is also used for battery operated equipment, like tablets and notebooks/pads.   Uncheck this box...and go through ALL and any entries that say HUB...and check to make sure this Power Management Tab box is unchecked.  After that...close down DEVICES, and do NOT reboot your system...but SHUT DOWN your system. 

This will make W10, record those boxes off...and then wait a full 30 seconds for your motherboard to power down.

Turn back on your system...and most likely, your USB added equipment/PCI cards, etc, will function without any further problems.!!!!  :hi:  :Party: 

By the way...any USB HUB that is installed by W10, when being upgraded, or clean installed to your system, usually does NOT have the Power Management Tab checkbox clicked on by default....but usually only what you post add on, or place into your USB v2.0 or v3.0 Super Speed ports.

Like I said, you will thank me for taking the time to post this....oh yeah...

1.  Corrupted System Files that give you unexplained system and/or W10 usage problems...and you the User, were not even AWARE you had them, in fact!

and two,

2.  USB connectivity and equipment problems.

Notam:  If you would like, but is not required...just for piece-of-mind, you can expand again your USB entry sub section within DEVICES, and again double left click on all HUBS...and then click on the Power Management Tab, to make sure your unchecking of that single box, in fact did take when you shut down your system.  After that, you never need to worry yourself about this setting again...but ONLY when you add further USB cards, or new USB equipment that does add a USB HUB entry into your W10 driver Systems Folder.  Go and check to make sure that the box is unchecked for that new equipment, and turn it off...and so on, and so forth...

Cheers,

Mitch'er

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the NOTAM Mitch.

Had no problem with system files on several PC's

However I did had USB power down problems with a new Laptop that I upgraded from

WIN10 Home to Enterprise, and setting the power management fixed the problem.

Thanks for the NOTAM Mitch.

Had no problem with system files on several PC's

However I did had USB power down problems with a new Laptop that I upgraded from

WIN10 Home to Enterprise, and setting the power management fixed the problem.

Your're welcome,...but I would still run the File Checker...you just might have an eyebrow or two raised...LOL!  I did...even though I had no seemingly visual or apparent problems....

Thanks for the info and to Rich Sennett for the HU.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Thanks for the info Mitch. If you need to replace a system file, which I had to do this will help

My corrupted dll was Microsoft Ink.DLL.

To replace a system file, you will need "Take Ownership linked below. It is safe to use, have been using it for years, and overcomes  windows permissions very well.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-take-ownership-add-context-menu-windows-10-a.html

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Very well NOTAM'ed Mitch.... THANK YOU !!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Glad the post, could help, Gents :)

I had the issue of my USB 3.0 SuperSpeed card not getting recognized at a cold start by system, with W10.  W10 in fact did have the 'Let W10 manage your power, blah, blah' box checked off on all the four USB Hubs that the card needed installed. All the native W10 Hubs from the O.S's installation upgrade from W7 did not have this box checked off by default. I was pulling my hair out, until I decided to check each entry under my Device USB sub-group and see what all the tabs held.  

I had no outward signs that I had a few corrupted System DLL's...but decided (as I came across that page in my due diligence) about polling and then restoring locked native, W10 system files, and was frankly quite surprised by actually having some. That W10 DOS subroutine was pretty painless to use, and got it all squared away. 

Cheers!

Mitch

thank you for this info mitch 

i ran the file checker and it found a corrupt file and replaced it

i have also had problems with usb not working at times

so thanks again for this

jeff

jeff storey

thank you for this info mitch 

i ran the file checker and it found a corrupt file and replaced it

i have also had problems with usb not working at times

so thanks again for this

jeff

You are very, very welcome!  Weird about the corrupted System Files, huh?   I wonder how long I was running with them.  I can't right now remember if it was also one, or plural.  I didn't  show blaring O.S. issues,  probably had obscure ones, but did not 'realize' that I in fact did. I certainly would not have looked there, for a possible solution.

You always think your locked System Files are secure.  I guess each time you shut down, and the O.S. signs off the files, there could/can be a slight altering and corrupting  in the  read/write cycle...and the effect over time is cumulative.  I guess.....

But no matter, am squared away once more..and will run this DOS command monthly, from now on.

Thanks for the info Mitch. If you need to replace a system file, which I had to do this will help

My corrupted dll was Microsoft Ink.DLL.

To replace a system file, you will need "Take Ownership linked below. It is safe to use, have been using it for years, and overcomes  windows permissions very well.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-take-ownership-add-context-menu-windows-10-a.html

A great addition to this thread. Thanks for posting!  

Mitch

One thing I found, and this is a M$ trait, you need to do more than one pass. I did 8 tests, and found 8 corrupted system files.

One weird thing I found with my USB, and the power management boxes are unticked, my CH flight yoke will freeze on first boot, have to reboot and the comes to life. Never works on first boot.

If I turn the computer off at the wall ie power, I have to re calibrate...weird.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

One thing I found, and this is a Microsoft trait, you need to do more than one pass. I did 8 tests, and found 8 corrupted system files.

One weird thing I found with my USB, and the power management boxes are unticked, my CH flight yoke will freeze on first boot, have to reboot and the comes to life. Never works on first boot.

If I turn the computer off at the wall ie power, I have to re calibrate...weird.

Yes..still some things left to groom in W10.  After running the DOS mask on the ninth time, did the end-routine report all files as passed and none corrupted found?

Try just rebooting your system at the pre-welcome screen. I have the shore-line looking through the rock arch picture at that point, just before the sign-in.

Use the bottom right, right hand icon to bring up the shut-down or reboot tab.  Just reboot. That should fix your issue, for you now running with the O.S.

All in all, though, I like W10 very much. Now use to it. I do have the Defer UPGRADE in the Pro version ticked off...want to hold off as long as possible on the Anniversary 1607 Upgrade, to give M.S. time to refine its issues. So running with the version prior to the Anniversary roll-out.

I was experiencing, since I upgraded to Anniversary, some blue screens stating some unexpected application problem caused the system to shutdown.

This had been an intermittent event, and since running that system file checker I got so many corrupt file reports, I decided to simply re-install win 10.

It's going on right now. I wiped both of mine SSDs, each 250 GB, after making an Acronis backup of wife's data....

Wife very apprehensive right now, but I told her it was all due to Mitch... not my fault :-)

It's nice to have a clean install. Thanksfully one of the keys worked. When I started installing, from an USB, it asked my for the key. I tried the win 8 key ( from where I had made the initial win 10 upgrade ) then the win 7, and finally a key I had written down in a piece of paper and I guess was the one issued when I upgraded... The last one was accepted :-)

Since I had deleted ( using Gparted boot CD ) all of the partitions on both disks, I was afraid that might compromise the clean install...

Ok... I have a fresh Win 10 64 Pro system today... T1600 and Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, ELITE quadrant and GNS 530 HW unit, then ELITE Premium will be my first sim installs, then PSX ( but I am having a problem installing Java right now, and the auto-installer is issuing a broken link error message ? ).

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Use the bottom right, right hand icon to bring up the shut-down or reboot tab. Just reboot. That should fix your issue, for you now running with the O.S.

All in all, though, I like W10 very much. Now use to it. I do have the Defer UPGRADE in the Pro version ticked off...want to hold off as long as possible on the Anniversary 1607 Upgrade, to give M.S. time to refine its issues. So running with the version prior to the Anniversary roll-out.

Cheers thanks Mitch. Will try that.

It's nice to have a clean install. Thanksfully one of the keys worked. When I started installing, from an USB, it asked my for the key. I tried the win 8 key ( from where I had made the initial win 10 upgrade ) then the win 7, and finally a key I had written down in a piece of paper and I guess was the one issued when I upgraded... The last one was accepted :-)

Maybe it varies but my experience is that you should not have to enter any keys on a reinstall since the license data is already burnt into the MB. Just skip over any request for a key and online activation should just happen when installation is complete.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.