Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

NOTAM--two very important W10 tips, you will thank me for!

Maybe it varies but my experience is that you should not have to enter any keys on a reinstall since the license data is already burnt into the MB. Just skip over any request for a key and online activation should just happen when installation is complete.

gb.

Ok, didn't know about that. Thx!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Great call, Mitch.

Had no corrupted files, but have certainly had the USB issues, so made the changes as suggested and all seems great. :)

Cheers.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Great call, Mitch.

Had no corrupted files, but have certainly had the USB issues, so made the changes as suggested and all seems great. :)

Cheers.

Glad to see the post helping others!

Another USB-tip.   It seems that W10 has a USB quark......doesn't like to poll the USB hubs on the first start-up.  Sometimes it does, but sometimes it doesn't (if you have the default FAST START option enabled).  I have found a way around that.  It takes an extra 30 seconds, but is sure fire...

When you and other readers are booting up your computer, and,when it arrives at the sleep-screen (mine is the default seascape looking out of the sea tunnel, towards the beach) you will see two icons on the bottom right.  Press the most right icon, and then when it opens up the blue log-in screen, press the same again, and you will see a shut-down menu.  Use the RESTART OPTION, and let the system go through one reboot cycle.  Sure enough, all your USB ports will be polled, as well as any cards in your PCE-E slots that have to do with USB function, as in my case, with non-native USB 3.0 SuperSpeed support on my M.B. (older system).

Works now every time, along with no longer as my O.P., allowing W10 to shut down your USB ports and equipment attached 'to save battery power', lol.  

So, between the two suggestions, your USB will work now, each and every user-session,  and for every reboot-of-use, you might need, use because of perhaps a crashed driver, frozen program, whatever....

So...bottom line...a cold start of your system, using W10 (until M.S. puts out an update) does require one immediate RESTART, as soon as you get to the desk-top picture the comes up just before the blue Log In screen.  Until M.S. releases a fix...this has become my Modus Operendi, and I now no longer have the chance that when I arrive at my Desk-Top, that one or more USB drivers did not poll and are resident in the DEVICE USB sub-menu.

NOTAM:

added content:  Another way that could prove successful on your system, is to turn off the System Fast Start feature, that will allow a full slow-poll of all your system ports...USB, etc...

1. Right click on the menu icon.

2. Left click on POWER OPTIONS

3. Left click CHOOSE WHAT THE POWER BUTTON DOES

4. Left click CHANGE SETTINGS THAT ARE CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE

5. Under the bottom section; Shutdown, UNCLICK --TURN ON FAST STARTUP

6. Press SAVE and close windows. RESTART YOUR COMPUTER

After you do the above, your system will now, each time, properly poll each and every port as though it was the first time ever that you started your system from bringing it home.

I have this feature off, and it does NOT add any delay now to my start up.  I think this negates the need to do that one restart that I suggest at the desk-top screen (if you have the Fast Start enabled).  If you DO wish to have the TURN ON FAST START option, you will need to do that one restart each and every time, as doing a restart on your system actually BYPASSES the FAST START sequence. 

So, naturally, if it is off in the first place, that would NEGATE the need to do what I firstly suggested.  If your system, truly has a long first-start-of-the-day length to boot up...then you can always turn back on this O.S. feature.

Therefore...I suggest you in fact TURN IT OFF ..and I bet dollars to doughnuts, your USB, and any other added hardware 'problems' will end.  :hi:

Cheers,

Mitch

Thanks for taking the time to share this helpfull info.

Most welcome.  I really like W10 now...and I was one of the many that was hand-wringing during the one year free deal, whether I would in fact, move beyond W7 Pro.  With use..I'm sure glad that I did.  Once you get use to the differences between W7 and W10...your usage on the system, is like lighting... :)))))

Thank you Mitch. As I posted in my previous post, my CH Eclipse yoke was dead on first boot. Now, this only happens if I switch the power off after shut down @ the power supply. If I do that, I lose my calibration. I have to re calibrate, sometimes having to do it twice in CH manager. Pedals are not effected by this weir quirk.

So will try your method. BTW, the issue of having to re calibrate happened in W7 too. My older CH yoke does not suffer from this. Using the USB 2 port, not 3.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Now, this only happens if I switch the power off after shut down @ the power supply. If I do that, I lose my calibration. I have to re calibrate, sometimes having to do it twice in CH manager. Pedals are not effected by this weir quirk.

So will try your method. BTW, the issue of having to re calibrate happened in W7 too. My older CH yoke does not suffer from this. Using the USB 2 port, not 3.

Funny,

I just posted an issue with my Throttletek 737TQ over at Pete Dowson FSUIPC forum having a sixth sense that when shutting down on my main switch for PC and acesseories  it "resets" the FSUIPC calibration making my reversers going bananas during takeoff

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Funny,

I just posted an issue with my Throttletek 737TQ over at Pete Dowson FSUIPC forum having a sixth sense that when shutting down on my main switch for PC and acesseories  it "resets" the FSUIPC calibration making my reversers going bananas during takeoff

Michael Moe

Bingo, looks like the same issue Michael. Weird thing is, my older non eclipse yoke does not need re calibrated :)

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Well...for my total solution, regarding USB not polling the ports and what's attached to them...by turning off/disable FAST START UP, as I describe to, above, had corrected all my USB issues since converting to W10.  My system doesn't seem to take any longer to make it to the Desktop, with it NOT enabled.

So...if you have USB hangups, and the equipment they run on...disable FAST START, turn off your system. Wait 30 seconds, and then turn it back on. I think you will find that all your USB hubs will now register in the USB sub-section of the DEVICE map, and you'll be good to go.

If you still want to run FAST START, then you still need to re-start your system at the welcome screen for one re-start. That will get your USB hubs polled.

Ses