Sign in to follow this  
gregmorin

DO 228 is a great Bush aircraft

According to the sim state in PD3V3.3.5, I have now flown the DO 228 for 27.7 hours. Almost all of this time has been evaluating it's short field and unimproved field performance. I have had it in and out of TFFJ St. Barts, Saba, Lukla and all of the Orybx PNG bush strips in the AYPY and TAP packages. The DO 228 made it top all the strips. I could not take off successfully from only Milei in PNG. If you are looking for a fun small airliner with great bush capabilities, I highly recommend this one. It has almost the capabilities of the Twin Otter hut with a faster cruise.

Greg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Its a nice bird but it takes up some frame rates.    I am thinking about getting flight 1 new gns 530 for it  but I was wondering if the fms would work with it.

Its a nice bird but it takes up some frame rates.    I am thinking about getting flight 1 new gns 530 for it  but I was wondering if the fms would work with it.

Its a real frame killer with the avionics turned on,if they are turned off its I get 60fps

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Its a real frame killer with the avionics turned on,if they are turned off its I get 60fps

Are you using the double GTN panel or the default panel with GNS430 and MFD640?

With the latter, performance is OK. With the double GTN configuration, instead, I have a significant FPS drop. I tried to deactivate either GTN unit 1 or 2 and it seems to get better, but I need more testing. After all, it makes no sense to have two GTN units as long as we have no crossfill.

Barrel_owl

How do you deactivate one of the GTN's. I would also like to do that to increase the fps?

Thanks.

Barrel_owl

How do you deactivate one of the GTN's. I would also like to do that to increase the fps?

Thanks.

If you want to remove GTN unit 2 (the one lower at pedestal level), add [//] in front of the appropriate line in the section  [Vcockpit06] of your panel.cfg file:

[Vcockpit06]

//gauge00=F1GTN!GTN750VC,  0,0,667,794,UNIT2

If you want to remove GTN unit 1 (the upper one), do the same, but in the section  [Vcockpit01] of your panel.cfg file:

[Vcockpit01]

//gauge00=F1GTN!GTN750VC,  0,0,667,794,UNIT1

In addition. In this case, remember that the 2D window is associated by default to GTN Unit 1 (Shift+7 here). So, if you want to disable GTN Unit 1 and leave GTN unit 2 active, you also have to change the appropriate line in the declaration at the top of the file:

Window06=Flight1 Garmin GTN750 U1 - DO NOT MODIFY

to

Window06=Flight1 Garmin GTN750 U2 - DO NOT MODIFY

That's all.

I made a test and, for what is worth, I came to a conclusive evidence: the performance drop is definitely due to the double GTN unit configuration. At least here, there is absolutely no doubt.

I made exactly the same flight in the same exact situation (same departure position, same flight plan, for the records LOWI-LOWS, same addons, same weather scenario with AS16, same graphic resolution and same traffic setting). Only the livery was different (I have both the default VC with with GNS430 and MFD640 and the GTN mod in place, both model/panel combinations are mapped to different textures in the aircraft.cfg).

While I had continuous and abnormal FPS drops with the double GTN configuration (such as from about 30 FPS to 5-8 FPS and then back), resulting in heavy microstutters, I never experimented the same with the default configuration. FPS remained constantly in a range between 25 to 40-50 depending on the view and the situation, but with overall smoothness and no microstutters.

I will make another test with only one GTN unit active later, as suggested above. However, it is clear to me that something is definitely wrong with the VC model with a dual GTN unit provided by Carenado. I am unable to determine what exactly is causing the frame drop, anyway it makes very little sense to keep both GTN units as long as Flight1 will not provide any crossfill.

With that said, this might be a further step into the direction of purchasing the new Flight1 GNS530. I am very tempted to buy it and install it in lieu of the default GNS530 to see what happens.  

barrel_owl, thank you for the solution to having just one GTN functioning.  I don't know if this is related, but I was having glide slope capture problems today in both RNAV LPV and ILS landings.  This was after I (// out) the lower pedestal unit.  Either I'm going crazy (probably am), or there's a connection between the two GTN's that's necessary for all functions to work.  I just thought I'd point this out in case someone else runs into similar problems.

Hi guys, sorry for strongly disagree with what's written here, but the real FPS killer in this plane is its default MFD (Multi Function Display). Disable it and put in its place for instance the WX Radar from REX/Milviz and you'll notice you'll have a big improvement in fluidity or FPS.

I don't think at all that the double or single GTN installation is a factor here.

Cheers, Ed

There's a good post here at Avsim showing the way to add the REX/Milviz WX Radar into the VC cockpit, in place of the default MFD:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/494875-weather-radar-mod-for-wx-advantage-radar/#entry3489135

Good luck.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

barrel_owl, thank you for the solution to having just one GTN functioning.  I don't know if this is related, but I was having glide slope capture problems today in both RNAV LPV and ILS landings.  This was after I (// out) the lower pedestal unit.  Either I'm going crazy (probably am), or there's a connection between the two GTN's that's necessary for all functions to work.  I just thought I'd point this out in case someone else runs into similar problems.

Actually there is no connection between both GTN units and this is very unfortunate, because that's exactly what we're missing here: crossfill. Something that Flight1 promised to offer some time in the future.

So, the problem is definitely not related to a missing connection, but it is not unlikely that we have forgotten to change something in the panel.cfg and/or in the F1GTN.ini file (for example Radios=0/1).

The best thing you can do now, in my opinion, is to repeat the same approach with the default GTN configuration (so that with both units, as provided by Carenado's F1GTN750DO228.exe) and then again with the modified configuration (GTN Unit2 deactivated) to see the difference.

Finally, if you opted for removing GTN Unit1 and keeping GTN Unit 2 (lower pedestal) active, as in my example above, there are a couple of more tweaks to do in addition to those mentioned above to have things working properly, but, based on your post, that should not be your case.

Hi guys, sorry for strongly disagree with what's written here, but the real FPS killer in this plane is its default MFD (Multi Function Display). Disable it and put in its place for instance the WX Radar from REX/Milviz and you'll notice you'll have a big improvement in fluidity or FPS.

I don't think at all that the double or single GTN installation is a factor here.

Hi Ed,

thanks for your input. I will try that configuration and will let you know.

The best thing you can do now, in my opinion, is to repeat the same approach with the default GTN configuration (so that with both units, as provided by Carenado's F1GTN750DO228.exe) and then again with the modified configuration (GTN Unit2 deactivated) to see the difference.

As you mentioned, things are working fine under the default configuration.  I'll continue with that for now, and perhaps investigate the .ini file when time permits.

Hi Ed,

thanks for your input. I will try that configuration and will let you know.

I hope everyone here try it, to have a more fluid simulation of the excellent Do228 and post their findings, as well as you'll do.

Thanks.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Curt check the f1 config tool I noticed that when you install the gtns with the exe in the do228 folder  it designated the gtn 750 unit 1  as com and nav 2 and that is why you probably cant get the glide slopes

check it out.

Curt check the f1 config tool I noticed that when you install the gtns with the exe in the do228 folder  it designated the gtn 750 unit 1  as com and nav 2 and that is why you probably cant get the glide slopes

check it out.

That's true, I did the adjustment several days ago and now have just one GTN active with full ILS and RNAV capabilities.  I meant to post this earlier but got sidetracked.  Your post will help others who I'm sure will run into the same thing.