Sign in to follow this  
gregmorin

DO 228 is a great Bush aircraft

Can anyone point me in the direction of a manual?

For instance: What are the blue beta lamps telling me?

I'm not a rl pilot, but I have been struggling with the STOL capabilities of the DO228.  I have been using the Aerosoft Twin Otter for a while and find it's STOL capabilities much better.  On the other hand, maybe I don't understand the DO228 well enough yet.  I use SABA as practice strip and find the DO228 takes up all 400m of strip to get stopped and take-off the same with flaps at second level (for short field take-off).  Can anyone offer suggestions or recommendations for DO228 STOL operations?  Thanks!

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

Pressler

The STOL capabilities of the Twin Otter are better. It can get in and out strips the DO 228 cannot.If you can get the DO 228 in and out of SABA you are doing well. Check you tube for STOL videos and practice on a longer strip with a safety factor. You can get the DO 228 into strips where you cannot take off.

Greg 

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Pressler

The STOL capabilities of the Twin Otter are better. It can get in and out strips the DO 228 cannot.If you can get the DO 228 in and out of SABA you are doing well. Check you tube for STOL videos and practice on a longer strip with a safety factor. You can get the DO 228 into strips where you cannot take off.

Greg 

Thank you for the quick response Greg!  I am finding the comings and goings with the DO228 tough at SABA.  If landing is spot on I can get this beast stopped within the 400m length of the runway...haha and the take-off is basically a roll off the other end of the runway.  I will choose another airstrip to practice on.  SABA is even a challenge for the twin otter, but I can usually get into and out of there without too much difficulty.  Thanks again for your suggestion!

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

Does the DO 228 offer a higher cruise speed than the twin otter? Or does it carry more payload?

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Does the DO 228 offer a higher cruise speed than the twin otter? Or does it carry more payload?

Yes and yes.  I use Air Hauler 2 and have added the DO228 to my fleet.  I have used the Twotter a lot and the DO228 was advertised as a STOL craft, so I am trying to find it's limitations.  The DO228 certainly has much better performance over the Twotter except for the 1% of strips where the DO228 just can't do where the Twotter can in STOL scenario.

Thnx for the tips about disabling the lower GTN gauge.

2 questions.... does it just leave a hole in the cockpit ?!?!

And, does it actually improve fps ?

As for STOL capabilities, the official line is that the Dornier needs twice the runway length of the Twotter. Much bigger, faster and heavier.... and a damn sight uglier - in a good way. A bit like me !